Author Topic: Mr Heater Fuel Keg 1lb Tanks  (Read 9280 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Mr Heater Fuel Keg 1lb Tanks
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2024, 08:00 AM »
Yeah my solution was a small neodymium magnet on the filler neck.   It works for both holding the Allen wrench but also holding down the valve gate lever while filling (hands free).

On a side note, I did have a guy from Mr Heater contact me about my videos and wanted to clarify a couple of things so I hope to have a discussion with him and then do a follow up video about that.

Online RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2024, 09:07 AM »
Yeah my solution was a small neodymium magnet on the filler neck.   It works for both holding the Allen wrench but also holding down the valve gate lever while filling (hands free).

On a side note, I did have a guy from Mr Heater contact me about my videos and wanted to clarify a couple of things so I hope to have a discussion with him and then do a follow up video about that.

Good stuff.  Look forward to the video!

Offline Steeeeeeeeevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2024, 11:23 AM »
Can anyone with hands on experience give me their opinion on the key ring? Is it possible for that to accidentally come open?
In the video it looked like an easy pull and quarter turn to get it to open, I don't always secure my flame king tanks or the things around them in my tub but it isn't an issue with them. My concern with these is that something catches on the key ring and opens it losing all my propane and possibly blowing me up.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2024, 01:29 PM »
Magnet

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2024, 09:01 PM »
Did you buy this on-line by chance?
No, bit here's a link to one from Amazon.
Less than $4. Not the exact one that I have but better than the tiny wrench they come with.
I'm sure your local hardware store also has something similar that would work.

EKLIND 61605 5/64 Inch Power-T T-Handle Hex T-Key allen wrench https://a.co/d/01d6vIM
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2024, 10:44 PM »
As someone earlier was getting at I think, a couple magnets could also solve losing the hex key. Throw one on the big tank and one on the stand. I think I have ten hex keys if I were to find them all. Can get a dozen or more magnets for $10.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2024, 08:24 AM »
Another quick update on the Fuel Keg.  I spoke with someone in product management at Mr Heater yesterday.    I was able to get a lot of my questions answered. They are replacing my tank and explained what happened and why my tank seemed to be leaking when attaching to the heater.  It was my fault....

In regards to if you can accidentally open the bleeder valve, the answer is no, and in my next video, I will explain why and also go over what happened with my original tank. 

On a side note, you should brace yourself for the disposable tanks to eventually disappear, some States are in the process or have already put a ban in place, and also going to be banned in National Parks to start with and I can only guess it will snowball after that.

Offline Steeeeeeeeevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2024, 12:56 PM »
Another quick update on the Fuel Keg.  I spoke with someone in product management at Mr Heater yesterday.    I was able to get a lot of my questions answered. They are replacing my tank and explained what happened and why my tank seemed to be leaking when attaching to the heater.  It was my fault....

In regards to if you can accidentally open the bleeder valve, the answer is no, and in my next video, I will explain why and also go over what happened with my original tank. 

On a side note, you should brace yourself for the disposable tanks to eventually disappear, some States are in the process or have already put a ban in place, and also going to be banned in National Parks to start with and I can only guess it will snowball after that.

thank you, much appreciated!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2024, 01:06 PM »
Why the heck would they ban them?
So we have to use up more disposable tanks?
I mean these things are designed to be refilled safely.
I don't see how they are that much different than a large tank safety wise.
And IMHO safer than the disposable green tanks.
KasilofChrisN

Online RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2024, 01:07 PM »
Why the heck would they ban them?
So we have to use up more disposable tanks?
I mean these things are designed to be refilled safely.
I don't see how they are that much different than a large tank safety wise.
And IMHO safer than the disposable green tanks.

The disposables are what's going to disappear.  Which I'm probably fine with.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2024, 02:33 PM »
The disposables are what's going to disappear.  Which I'm probably fine with.
Ahh yes, I just reread it.
Makes sense! Thanks.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2024, 06:26 PM »
I can say that I'll be glad when the disposable tanks are replaced by refillable ones. Hopefully that doesn't happen until after supplies of refillables is strong (never a guarantee when govt mandates are in play)

Really looking forward to your next video. While I don't go through a ton of propane besides on my grill, to be able to top off and have small tanks on hand at any time would be huge. One brand or another, I'm going to start stocking up on refillables
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2024, 07:04 PM »
Here's another update on the Fuel Keg.  15% off at Menards right now.  I think these are going to work well, but some further testing  is needed.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2024, 08:12 PM »
Thanks for the video! Glad to hear some of the specific questions and concerns thoroughly addressed. I'm certainly very interested in these, gonna have to start keeping my eye out at menards for the, maybe start adding a few into this mix this season
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2024, 10:11 PM »
Thanks for the very thorough videos and information! Much appreciated!
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Steeeeeeeeevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2024, 08:14 AM »
thanks for the update!

Offline Fishbonker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2024, 08:25 PM »
I saw your video over on IDO and the only question I have is does a MAPP gas torch head have the same size orifice as an LP torch? I'd have to guess that the MAPP gas is smaller than the LP which, to me anyway, would result in a smaller flame if the torch head is used with LP.

I would also guess that the dimensions of all the parts of the outlet of the Fuel Keg are the same as the Flame King, pretty sure they are all standardized except for the tab that is different than the Flame King.

I watched your Flame King vids several weeks ago and bought the Flame King set up then you posted about the Fuel Keg. I like the Flame King but I have to wonder if the ring and twist wouldn't be more convenient.

Thanks for vids.

I would have asked the question on IDO but I forgot my password and the site won't let me reset it password.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 08, 2024, 09:46 PM »
Hey thanks.  I did confirm with Mr Heater that the tanks are designed to work with any appliance or device that you would typically use 1lb disposable on.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2024, 08:05 AM »
I leave a 6" 5/64 Eklind Allen wrench (T-handle grip) tucked under one of the supports for the Flame King filler propane tank holder where it meets the green base, whatever that's called.

Offline fisherbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2024, 09:26 AM »
Hey thanks.  I did confirm with Mr Heater that the tanks are designed to work with any appliance or device that you would typically use 1lb disposable on.

Website says - Connection Type: Standard Male 1" x 20 Propane tank connection

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/propane-tanks/mr-heater-reg-16oz-empty-fuel-keg-tank/f200048/p-1642874297828344-c-6878.htm?exp=false

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2024, 12:20 PM »
Here was another video going over the Flame King and the Mr, Kegs.  Been following this guy for years, he puts good videos out - pretty informative.

&t=77s
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 09, 2024, 02:00 PM »
Good comparison video there.  I like the simplicity of the Fuel Keg.

Home Depot (on line) has the Flame King refill kit + 3 bottles, all for $74.85.  That's almost like getting 2 free tanks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-Three-1-lb-Refillable-Propane-Cylinders-with-Refill-Kit-YSN1LBKT-2CL/311513863

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #52 on: Jan 09, 2024, 02:22 PM »

Home Depot (on line) has the Flame King refill kit + 3 bottles, all for $74.85.  That's almost like getting 2 free tanks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-Three-1-lb-Refillable-Propane-Cylinders-with-Refill-Kit-YSN1LBKT-2CL/311513863

When you break it down ..The tanks can be found for $16 with some searching ...the valve for about $20 ..so that stand for $6 . Good price for the kit . I like the stand ...find it very helpful .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 09, 2024, 02:46 PM »
Can't get more simple than flame king's valve. Adding complexity to what should be a simple valve seems like it will cause more trouble than occasionally looking for a hex key.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 09, 2024, 04:04 PM »

I have been going back and forth on this for 2 weeks. I don't use a lot of 1lbs but I'm thinking I might if I could refill them myself. They certainly can be convenient.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Jan 09, 2024, 04:24 PM »
RickWakeman...before I got the FK refillable tanks I was pretty stingy with the propane tanks ...only used them when it was brutal . I even had 2 tanks that must have been 5yrs old . Now that I am older and wiser ..and dont like to be cold I use the FK each and every trip ...I find myself staying longer and enjoying it even more ..defiantly a quality of angling life upgrade . Just being able to pack up my gear ...warm up in my shelter hub or flip ...then collapse and go is kind of priceless. Note I have since purchased a insulated flip which is also a game changer. The current innovations to our sport are worth the price of admission.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Jan 09, 2024, 04:50 PM »
 I purchased my FK when it first hit the market , fishing cold isn’t an option , where I fill my 20# tank , works out close to $.70 per 1# tank fill even on really cold days I don’t burn more than a pound , HWD is right an insulated flip is well worth the extra jingle
 Either refill you chose will work in your favor

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 10, 2024, 09:50 AM »
For those that are not using the refillable 1 lber’s, and thinking about it, there is absolutely no reason to be skeptical. Best money ever spent.

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2024, 12:48 PM »
For those that are not using the refillable 1 lber’s, and thinking about it, there is absolutely no reason to be skeptical. Best money ever spent.
First year using the FK and loving it, wish I would have done it sooner. I bought the t-handle allen wrench that the member linked to me and it works great.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 10, 2024, 01:01 PM »
You all are very convincing!  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.