Author Topic: PowerBait  (Read 2475 times)

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
PowerBait
« on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:52 AM »
How long does it last?  Just wondering, there is no date on the packages so I got to wondering if there is a shelf life.  Obviously if its dried out its done but how about otherwise?  Anyone seen bite drop off with age?
Doing it better than I did it yesterday.

Offline Eyefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: PowerBait
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:55 AM »
 Im not sure either. I have had to soak the dry stuff with water to get it to soften up before I used it and  I still had luck with it.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Its kind of like an old ice fisherman.  The receipe is still good but you need to add something for enhanced performance.  Frankly, if the PB is hard, I put it in the circular file.  It the jar has never been opened, then its still worth using.  Increased temperature will sometimes revieve the hard stuff, so you might put it next to your heater if you use one in your hut...assuming you have a hut that is. ;)

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2014, 09:50 AM »
I've got a hut even though the wife's grandfather called me a Lilly for it, so there's no way I'm using a heater...   Was just curious about the shelf life because I had a skunk the other day with last years PB.  Several bites and bumps but they acted like a kid eating veggies.  I like to stuff because a lot of times I just willy nilly go fishing and don't want to track down live bait.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:45 AM »
I think that newer is better. I try and use the jar up within a month or so. Not worth much after that.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Do you guys PB a small jig, or just a plain hook???

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Do you guys PB a small jig, or just a plain hook???

Small treble hook.  I like a size 10.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2014, 04:27 PM »
By the way, for jig fishing I prefer the PB small version  in orange or red.  It does work on a jig, small Swedish pimple or by itself.  I generally do best just dead sticking.  For the record, I've never caught a really big trout through the ice with a PB.  Generally I do better with jigs tipped with wax or meal worms or spikes.  However, I always bring the small orange or red nuggets when the maggots are not producing.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Power Bait- It's not for everyone! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Thats all we used this past Sunday and caught just as many fish... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Thats all we used this past Sunday and caught just as many fish... ;)

When my normal stuff aint working, I go to radical stuff. And if that aint working, I whip out the PB. It's amazing the size of trout you can catch on that stuff.  Ive seen a 10 and 12 lb bow caught on it thru the ice. 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I heard a story of a guy and his kids outfishing everyone at a tourney in Granby.  They kept turning in fish and upsizing their entries.  Few others were catching, and the guy was asked what he was using.  Small tube jigs stuffed with Powerbait.  I guess some days it just works. 

If I'm going to sink some bait for bows (which is like once a year), I prefer Power Eggs since they're not as messy, and I can catch 4-5 slimers before loosing the eggs.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline 8fly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I go with the power eggs also..plenty of colours to choose from. Sometimes, were allowed, I will stuff a jig with one or tip a jig or panther martin with a piece..Works pretty good

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I like the stuffing it up a tube idea.  Will be using that. 

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I remember back some years ago coming back in from a hard day trolling the Mile. There are some rocks next to the North Shore boat ramp and next to them was a little fat lady sitting on a cooler fishing with a Zebco 202 and a big straw hat. How are they biting?, I asked. She pointed to a Brown on a stringer that might have gone 8 pounds. What are you using? Rainbow Power Bait was the reply.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Eventually it will break down and start to stink real bad. Not for many years though.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jeffmonument

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Slayer-How do you get the pb to sink? do you rig it like open water(slider sinker, drop shot, etc)  thanks!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2014, 10:19 AM »
I just put a splitshot 6" from the hook.  The bait will float 6" above the splitshot.  Fish dont seem to mind.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lvrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Anyone use pb waxies? I hate trying to find fresh waxies last minute. I just found out the beer keg cooler is too cold for them so that's why they all die. I'm not gonna buy a wone chiller for my waxies like colorado tackle pro did. Although I bet the gf would get her use out of it as well.

Will pb waxies fish as good as the real deal? Their product description claims it out fishes real bait. I'll have to find out once they get here. Too bad ctp doesn't sell 1000 pack waxies this year or I'd buy one and be done.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2014, 12:58 PM »
lvrider,
Get ya a small refrigerator. You can adjust the temp and it's much cheaper than some wine cooler! I got mine for $30.00 used, and my wax and mealworms are doing just fine! Bought them in late November. Good Fishing!
Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline fishinbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2014, 02:39 PM »
I went out with the wife last minute yesterday, and only had a few wax worms left over from my last outing, so i grabbed a couple jars of PB i had laying around and used those.  I have to admit the fish love that stuff, but for some reason I would rather use just about anything else. Maybe I'm just crazy...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2014, 02:42 PM »
I went out with the wife last minute yesterday, and only had a few wax worms left over from my last outing, so i grabbed a couple jars of PB i had laying around and used those.  I have to admit the fish love that stuff, but for some reason I would rather use just about anything else. Maybe I'm just crazy...

No you're not, that crap sucks to use. Green goop gets all over everything- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2014, 04:40 PM »
I buy my waxies, meal worms and spikes in bulk of a 1000 each year.  While I refrigerate the mealies and spikes, I never put the waxies in a fridge...they just can't take the cold.  50-60 degrees is a good temp for waxies and I'm sure you have someplace in your house that is close to that.

Be sure to put the waxies in an insulated coolers or shirt pocket while on the ice and bring them inside when you get back.  Mealies and spikes will freeze and come back to life...not waxies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.