Author Topic: Cutting ice with Chainsaws  (Read 28228 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
Re: Cutting ice with Chainsaws
« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2014, 05:00 PM »
I've been spearing (or trying anyway) sturgeon on Winnebago the last few years and I've seen a few various setups.  A lot of guys have a grease gun attached to the saw and pump grease onto the drive gear to help with freeze up.  Some guys run veggie oil for bar oil. Others will run them without anything.  As long as you run the water out of the chain after the hole is cut,  it seems to be personal preference.

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 10, 2014, 05:53 PM »
I would use oil on the chain. Try fish oil, specifically Omega3.  ;)

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 10, 2014, 06:54 PM »
It's pricey but you can get biodegradable bar oil. We use it when removing log jams from the river.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 10, 2014, 07:24 PM »
:woot: :roflmao:
 Osage, are you the guy that took the saw back with the complaint of slow cutting and when they fired it up, asked "What's that noise"  ?     
[/quote
 Yeah,I wasn't to impressed with the dang thing,now I just use a teeny tiny stick of dynamite for making holes  ;)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #34 on: Nov 10, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Hahaha, I knew you'd like that , Osage.  I've been accused of being a "powder monkey"  too.     Anything less than a quarter stick may need redoing.    ;)

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 10, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Dynamite is old school. Get a few pounds, or 20 of tannerite and shoot it with a rifle.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #36 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:23 PM »
I foresee C-4 might change your mind, just a small block the size of a "normal" fist and move back about 1/3 a football field, ha.    :woot:

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Having played with both Dynamite is definitely a bigger better boom though it is getting harder to acquire.
I've heard you can make a homemade Tannerite that is a bigger boom than the store bought stuff. But I wouldn't know about that. :whistle:
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #38 on: Nov 10, 2014, 11:35 PM »
Many  :whistle: :whistle:

So glad they don't have our minds registered .

Or, do they ?    :o

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 11, 2014, 11:41 AM »
This a joke too much arguing.  To sum things up... Run a clear bar and don't run bar oil.  If you saw runs sb*tty then pull the plug and read it.  It may be running too lean.  Either way, warm up your saw because cold seizure is more of an issue if your saw is really cold.  Now I am holding my breath for a computer controlled fuel injected chainsaw.  Hope you get my sarcasm.

EFI 2 Stroke

Not that far away, I saw a 5 minute blip on one of the science channels about it.

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/2_stroke_small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 11, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Throttle body injection is not at all the same as direct injection. Throttle body injection is nothing more than a carburetor with computer controlled jets. Either way, I hope not to ever see it in small equipment like a chainsaw. They should be as light an simple as possible.
-Tom

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I plan on getting some nice Laker footage with the Go Pro. ;D
Go fish.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #42 on: Nov 14, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Idk if anybodys said this but the resort by me uses vegtable oil, or i know theres food safe hyraulic oil out there
go hard or go home

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #43 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:08 AM »
We have had direct injection 2 strokes on the market for years in the marine world. Heck merc introduced the XRI clear back in the early 90's

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #44 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:02 AM »
Wow just seeing this I guess all my setups on race cars I should have talked to you. First and foremost Injection and carbureted engines can only push so mush through the jet or injector. Second part of your theory is correct when you say cooler air does allow you to burn more fuel but the facts are the system does not adjust on its own you must change the jets and also change the injectors to allow more fuel into the system. Millage will not deplete until you do so no mater how cold it is.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:27 AM »
What you describe is simply changing air flow rate. All carbs and injectors are fixed until you manually change either the jets or the injector itself. On a computerized system with a fixed injector you are asking for headaches unless you re chip the computer to match the injector. Carbs like Holley sell jets kits and in order for you to re jet a carb you must know ambient air tem along with humidity along with octane rate. A rule of thumb was simple for every 10 deg re jet carb. What you describe is nothing more than adjusting air by twisting a air adjustment screw the carbs on chainsaws are fixed jet and can not be adjusted for more fuel but adjusting the screw all you do is either add more air or eliminate air. NOT FUEL. To change that you either must change the entire carb or build a flow bench and drill the carb to a specific jet hole for a certain temp remembering the 10 degree rule of thumb. So you better have a bushel basket of carbs to do the method you speak of or SIMPLY run it the way it came from the factory because simple truth it will run just fine with no noticeable difference in performance. Get some books and read about internal combustion engines please and  leave the responses to the professionals Your method will burn pistons and seize 2 strokes faster than not running mixed oil with the fuel 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #46 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Thank you, Cold_feet.  Good to see another real mechanic out there.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Real mechanic? Most chain saws have fuel screw not air screws. :P
-Tom

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #48 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Ibut there is a screw that controles the idle plate
go hard or go home

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #49 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:26 AM »
Wow now you really show your lack of knowledge of carburation on internal combustion engines. Those are not fuel adjustments they do not regulate fuel to the carburetor they adjust the air mix You adjust the air mix to lean or richen the mix but you do not adjust the fuel quantity going through the carb As I have said the jets are fixed and can not be changed.  Please try to learn a little more about these subjects before spouting off.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 21, 2014, 09:07 AM »
As should you. This site is absolutely the best place for ice fishing info. As far as mechanics go, not so much, and that's not a bad thing.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:38 PM »
There is something I've noticed about all us rocket men, technical engineers, machinist, mechanics, the lots of which have the intelligence, intestinal fortitude, sense of humor, presence of mind and gall, to realize when to stop casting pearls before swine.        ;)2 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:22 PM »
Talked with a friend today who owns a small engine repair shop. I do not know how long he has been professionally repairing small engines but I do know it has been at least the 10 years I have known him and certainly longer than that.
He repairs all makes and manners of small engines from chainsaws to outboard motors to ATV's and snowmobiles.
Anyway he agrees with the majority here you should not ever have to adjust your chainsaws carburetor from summer to winter.
You do for elevation but, nobody is arguing that one.
He said the manufacturers set them for the middle of the road so you have the widest range of operating temperatures.
When he adjusts them he uses a tachometer designed for the task.
I am done on this subject as I confirmed what I already knew and have been doing since I first learned to run a saw as a teenager woring on my dads logging sites over 20 years ago.
If I am wrong I am man enough to admit it. But since I'm right......... Ok Ok I'm done.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #53 on: Nov 22, 2014, 10:21 AM »
And right you are, Chris. I think it's just a bad case of "everyone else is wrong, but me".  ;)2
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #54 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 AM »
I would use oil on the chain. Try fish oil, specifically Omega3.  ;)

We use the juice from 'Gulp Alive" containers. Fish come rolling in...

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #55 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:25 AM »
In the 70's and early 80's when I was in school my dad and the other guys we speared with used chain saws all the time. Dad bought on old green one at an auction that was probably from the 60's or so cheap and that thing cuts lots and lots of holes. Also was used to cut trenches out of the ice across the river and they would spear there as well. There is no way you would use an auger/chipper or a hand saw for that very often.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #56 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:27 PM »
So true PF, engines save armstrong wear & tear, ha.   

We don't have the freedom of large holes here, any dimension over 10" and you get a citation.       >:(

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #57 on: Nov 22, 2014, 01:26 PM »
Still laughing Been turning wrenches for damn near 60 years. worked on everything including DIRT and NASCAR race engines. Ive tuned, built and was Crew chief. and also built carbs for these engines. I guess I know squat. I got to be 20 again when all 20 year olds know everything. Believe what you like

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #58 on: Nov 22, 2014, 04:18 PM »
For true with the 20 year olds.       :bow:

Another laugh, my Doctor needs a visit from Fish & Game, my new tee shirt reads "Ask me about my colonoscopy".     See above in reply 56 for the limit.   :roflmao:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #59 on: Apr 03, 2019, 09:09 AM »
holy resurrection!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.