Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Okoboji tips....where did it go?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline jstdreamin

• IceShanty Rookie
Okoboji tips....where did it go?
« on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:12 AM »
There was a great post on here with newbie pointers for Okoboji area but it's gone now. Must have been the unfriendly posts about bait stores. Anyway what are the best access points for West? Going to make first trip ever in the near future and do not have a UTV, wheeler or snowmobile. Not scared to walk but really not a fan of driving my pickup on the ice, especially on a new place that I see underwater recovery of vehicles every season. Any local suggestions??
And yes I have done a search, read all the Okoboji post and went through all the DNR maps. So any pointers would be appreciated.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Okoboji tips....where did it go?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:17 AM »
It was them guys all hot after that baitshop owner... now that's something I never thought I would  say.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Post was pulled when it went completely off the rails. Let's start fresh, leave opinions about bait shop owners to yourself and focus on the topic.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Post was pulled when it went completely off the rails. Let's start fresh, leave opinions about bait shop owners to yourself and focus on the topic.

So why can't we have "our" opinion of something? Delete the posts that "you" don't agree with? Somebody has a bad experience at a business that sells bait, why not let people know so it doesn't happen to others?

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Bates, as you know it's not really about difference of opinions here. The purpose of this forum is to talk about ice fishing and the guy that made the original post was looking for tips, not how you feel about a certain bait shop in the area and someone's political stance. I didn't just delete the posts that you assume I don't agree with, I deleted the whole post because it was turning into a crap storm. Stay on topic for this guy, please.

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:00 AM »
squ1rr31,  because the thread turned direction from the OP's question, you delete the entire thread. Why not delete the portion you deem "a crap storm"? There was good info for anyone going to the area to use & now it's gone.

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2019, 11:40 PM »
So ...I started the thread and it started off with some amazing tips and then it got really entertaining! We're still in Okoboji.... It's our last night. Might fish in the morning but we shall see.

Saturday morning we fished Spirit and found a decent mess of perch. Afternoon bite we tried West and nada. Attempted East as it got dark and nada.

Sunday morning hit East and found a consistent yellow bass bite. Man are they small!!! I've fished Clear Lake and CL yellow bass are so much bigger. We did manage two MA yellows but weeding out all the small ones was rough. Hit up West O for after fishing extravaganza!

Fishing wasn't the best but damn, Oki is bomb and I definitely want to come back again to ice....or party it up in the summer!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2019, 06:48 PM »
If you want bigger yellow bass, you have to fish Smith Bay or Minnewashta.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:51 PM »
If you want bigger yellow bass, you have to fish Smith Bay or Minnewashta.

Yep Minnewashta is kinda somewhat an overlooked area for a lot of people.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Not for the last several years. Used to be but it's been a parking lot out there this year, ever since the ice got safe there.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:09 PM »
I think the last time I fished it was 3yrs ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.