Author Topic: MARCUM RT-9 2.0  (Read 9100 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
MARCUM RT-9 2.0
« on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Version 2 of the RT-9.

https://shop.marcumtech.com/product/rt-9-2-0/

Now we know why the RT-9 v1 sold so cheap last season.

Looks like you can upgrade the v1 to the v2 for 200$
https://shop.marcumtech.com/product/rt-9-2-0-full-upgrade/

I'd get the Amped Outdoors 12 amp battery if you want a better battery and is same size as the 10Amp.
https://ampedoutdoors.com/

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: MARCUM RT-9 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2019, 02:40 PM »

Now we know why the RT-9 v1 sold so cheap last season.

Looks like you can upgrade the v1 to the v2 for 200$
https://shop.marcumtech.com/product/rt-9-2-0-full-upgrade/

I'd get the Amped Outdoors 12 amp battery if you want a better battery and is same size as the 10Amp.
https://ampedoutdoors.com/

The original RT9 was as low as $330 on Amazon this past Summer, if someone wanted the V2, upgrading for $200 at that price would have been a heck of a deal. The price was low for a while, I think everyone just figured the RT9 was discontinued.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2019, 03:17 PM »

I think everyone just figured the RT9 was discontinued.

That's crazy talk. Remanufacturing poorly designed half-decade old electronics is the future of ice fishing.  Clearly a deal at any price.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2019, 09:39 AM »
Looks nice.  I wonder how this will compare the Hummingbird and Garmin?   And if it is a big upgrade over gen 1?

I just got a Marcum Lithium LX6 on Amazon for $411, but tempted to get 2.0 instead.   

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2019, 05:25 PM »
I'm definitely going to do the upgrade! I'm glad they've decided to go that way.

Offline mattymn80

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
  • CEO Energized Outdoors LLC
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:05 AM »
I am glad the work I did for Marcum last year paid off. Unfortunately they went their own route on a battery which was expected. They sold a ton of our Amped Outdoors batteries last year for us. If you want to upgrade your RT9 battery to a 12AH, feel free to PM me. I will give you a code for better pricing for this unit. Thank you!
Thank you all for your support! - Energized Outdoors

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:22 AM »
man i almost picked one up for 250 last year.  but didn't pull that trigger. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2019, 03:23 PM »
I am glad the work I did for Marcum last year paid off. Unfortunately they went their own route on a battery which was expected. They sold a ton of our Amped Outdoors batteries last year for us. If you want to upgrade your RT9 battery to a 12AH, feel free to PM me. I will give you a code for better pricing for this unit. Thank you!
yer awesome! thanks for doing what you do so well!

any word on the marcum shuttle battery replacement since they went their own way this year?

Offline Mistermojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2019, 11:52 PM »

@mattymn80 I am new to the site and can't PM you yet.  Are you going to be at the St. Paul show and have sale prices?  If not, can you PM me a discount code as you mentioned to that other fellow?  Would like to upgrade my LX-6.

Thanks!
-Mojo

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2019, 05:44 AM »
The RT-9 2.0 is 30 percent off Marcum's site right now.  Holiday Promo sale. Tempted to try it and return my LX6 Lithium.

Offline Mistermojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2019, 06:50 AM »
DBV - where are you located?  I'd take that off of your hands if you are in the Twin Cities metro area.  Save you from the hassle of the return.  :P

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:37 AM »
I didnt when the raffle they just had so now I dont want one lol. Ill stick with my lx5i

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2019, 06:46 AM »
Did anyone get one of these yet and if so how do you like it?

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2019, 06:44 AM »
Guess 2.0 is not doing well, as no one on iceshanty has reported buying one or upgrading their current one.  Too bad would be great to hear user experiences and if 2.0 is a lot better.  I don't see any user reviews anywhere on the internet, which is strange for a new product, even if you don't have ice by you yet.... :)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2019, 10:23 AM »
not everyone reads these boards.
clamfarmer of maine has a free one (walmart mistake). check if he has posted anything yet in the maine board. seems like they have fishable ice.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:40 AM »
I contacted Marcum and they are sold out right now.  So, they must be selling well, just no talk about how people like them.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:35 AM »
The RT-9 2.0 is 30 percent off Marcum's site right now.  Holiday Promo sale. Tempted to try it and return my LX6 Lithium.
There backorderd until February now
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:14 AM »
that didn't make that many in the initial run...

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:27 AM »
they ran out of the batteries.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:48 AM »
yer awesome! thanks for doing what you do so well!

any word on the marcum shuttle battery replacement since they went their own way this year?

3300, Any info on a replacement battery for the shuttle? My buddies is junk.. Thanks
Jig em up!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:04 PM »
only option to get them is send in the shuttle to marcum. they had them custom built for them and are one of a kind. there was a rumor about someone making them for us, but now he said he will not. i'm bummed out about that.

option 2:
using the charge port. you can run the shuttle from an exterior battery. all you have to do is figure out how to mount it behind the sonar head and on top of the shuttle. some are using their batteries they carry for their drills and buy or build a power adapter to go onto a 3d printed battery plate and mount a buck convertor to that plate. since i use ridgid tools and have three 9 amp batteries i'd go this route https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=373133.0

you can always run a wire from a battery box to power the shuttle or prolong the stock battery charge if for some reason you needed to. being the marcum battery is a weaker voltage battery than lithium, the power box battery would put a charge on the stock battery at the same time. using the buck convertor on a tool battery will do the same.

option 3:
when it comes time for mine to be replaced, i will look at taking the bottom off the shuttle and see about installing one inside the shuttle and modify the stock base cover by cutting out the raised area they used to hold the gimbal. just using the top layer of plastic right under the gimbal and may have to add a layer of aluminum flat stock, this should provide plenty of room for a lithium battery inside. might have to add some flat stock to the top also and under the gimbal.

that hollowed raised area was built so you can run bolts to hold the gimbal while the shuttles base cover is still on it. i think once you decide what gimbal your using then mount it with the shuttle base cover off and then remove the raised area from the base cover and put a plate over the cut it should have plenty of room. you could find a hunk of plastic that you want to plastic weld in and cut it down to the size you want and then use that as a pattern to cut out of the base cover and have a flush plate welded back in like you do for drywall repairs.

wire the new battery the same as old. pinch quick connects some so they can't fall off if you use them. maybe use velcro one wrap like the sonar manufactures use now and have it hold the new battery. maybe add some foam to keep things tighter. might have to extend some wires.
take out the old battery.
be sure to use the replacement battery's charger and not use the marcum charger.

i'd see if the amp outdoors 12 amp will fit. it is a much better battery than what marcum uses and cheaper and i think we can do it ourselves, but i haven't ventured that road yet. that battery is nearly half the price of the marcum battery. mine is still holding up well and i bought the same day they became available. so i am still getting my monies worth from it.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2020, 06:30 AM »
Thanks 3300 for all that great info...  You’re an asset to this group!  👍
Jig em up!

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Mine is in for the upgrade to 2.0 now... will post a review once I get it back and have some time to test it out
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2020, 02:12 PM »
Mine is in for the upgrade to 2.0 now... will post a review once I get it back and have some time to test it out
Any news?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2020, 06:59 PM »

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2020, 11:25 PM »

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #26 on: Mar 16, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Here is my take on the 2.0 upgrade:

Navionics Basemaps- these do not include any depth contours. They are simply blue outlines of water so that you can see your waypoints/saved locations in relation to shoreline, roads, inlets etc. Oddly my 1.0 had the same exact mapping prior to installing a navionics chip- for me this "upgrade" was of no value

2.0 Cradle Upgrade- this is not a new cradle, they add shims to the charging area on your existing cradle to improve the contacts. I did not ever notice an issue with the tablet making good contact, if you do have this concern maybe this is something of value to you. For me this was maybe a little piece of mind that I avoided a potential problem but difficult to get excited about.

Lithium battery- This was perhaps the biggest let down in the process. I thought that they were upgrading your 12v battery to a LiFePO 4 battery. Am I an idiot for thinking this? maybe. Is the marketing vague at best? also maybe. They apparently replace the small battery that is inside the tablet with a lithium battery. The way that I use my RT9 is to charge the 12v battery in the shuttle before each trip, the tablet runs off that battery (and displays 100%) until the 12v dies and the internal battery works as a "reserve" to extend my usage slightly after the 12v battery has depleted the tablet then counts down from 100% to 0% in about 30 minutes. In theory, I guess this "upgrade" has given you more "reserve time" and might be useful if you often carry your tablet on your handlebars or someplace that it does not have access to another power source. If your tablet stays in the cradle attached to the external 12v battery- this upgrade sparked minimal enthusiasm from me.

Software upgrades- These are another intangible "improvement". While I feel like the screen is slightly less glitchy (freezing, water droplets triggering actions), I will hedge my comment with the fact that I hardly got to the use RT9 after having the upgrade completed. I have noticed that the advertised "improved ease of entering waypoints" might have made it a bit TOO EASY- I have accidentally entered over 40 way points in random places on my map when scrolling around looking at different areas. I have resorted to deleting anything that was not named, all "Waypoint XX" locations have been deleted I will just be cognizant of naming any locations that I save in the future so that I know what I want to save and what was a mistake.

Turn around time- Maybe this will improve after the season ends but it was about (2) weeks from when they received it to when they shipped it back out to me. I was expecting 5-7 days as stated on the website and in the initial email that they send upon receipt. Given that spring is here, maybe that's not such a big deal.

All in all I think that the current $50 upgrade cost is about right, sure there are some upgrades being completed but does it change this into a whole new unit? Absolutely not! In my opinion, the bottom line is; If you liked it before, you'll probably be happy with the "2.0" upgrade if you disliked it before don't get your hopes up that this will change your mind, but for $50 maybe it helps the resale value by saying its a 2.0 and you can sell it to buy something you do like.

Others may have different opinions of this upgrade and I would be interested to hear input from other members who have gone through this process- maybe it was way better for others.
NYS Licensed Guide

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.