Author Topic: inline reels  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
inline reels
« on: Dec 17, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Anyone have any experience with them? I bought 2 on Amazon this week and looking forward to using them. I figured it will cut down on line twist and give me more sensitivity on micro jigs for crappie fishing.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: inline reels
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2015, 06:35 PM »
You'll love them for your reasons mentioned Tony! Only thing I wish was a stronger and smoother drag. maybe some of the real high end ones have that capability. Awesome for pan fish
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2015, 09:51 PM »
You'll love them for your reasons mentioned Tony! Only thing I wish was a stronger and smoother drag. maybe some of the real high end ones have that capability. Awesome for pan fish

X2......got the eagle claw, mostly because of the price and to see if I'd really like it...picked up some VMC fly jigs this year to use with it..
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2015, 05:33 AM »
This year, i bought the Black Betty and planning to set it up for Lake Trout fishing. Not a big fan of rod and reels as i use a jig stick however thought it was interesting when fishing outside and using light jigs.

Gonna give it a try anyways and see what happens.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:08 AM »
Couldn't you just use a decent fly reel if you want a better drag? They look similar.
Salmonemia

Kyle_J

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:12 AM »
Couldn't you just use a decent fly reel if you want a better drag? They look similar.
Most fly reels are not geared and don't have free spool. Regular fly reels are great but just not for deep water.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:32 AM »
X2......got the eagle claw, mostly because of the price and to see if I'd really like it...picked up some VMC fly jigs this year to use with it..

Also grabbed some of those jigs pumped to try them

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:56 AM »
Think you'll find the longer "stems" are a big advantage to the inline ice reels, Wayne.
Most of the less expensive inline reels do have drag issues.
Free spool where available, are a huge plus, especially in deeper water IMO. 

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2015, 11:37 AM »
 ??? ::)  I'm still in doubt about value?   If I pay $100 for a Black Betty 6061, how much will it cost to put it on an equal quality rod?
Dick

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2015, 12:37 PM »
You will love them, other than the drag. Do a search on those for a "suggested" modifications, its basically a teardown and relubing and re-washering of the drag. You can live without the drag mod, but it does take a bit of mental switcheroo to use them, as when you set the reel spool freespin, your right hand controls the descent by friction so you dont birdsnest the whole affair, do a test run or three off the back deck. I cant see spending 100 bucks for a Black Betty, the eagle claws are fine or better for crappie.

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:28 PM »
This year, i bought the Black Betty and planning to set it up for Lake Trout fishing. Not a big fan of rod and reels as i use a jig stick however thought it was interesting when fishing outside and using light jigs.

Gonna give it a try anyways and see what happens.

I use the black betty primarily for pan fish or shallow water, they tend to be more of a pain when fishing deeper water/bigger fish in my opinion. The retrieval rate on the inline just isn't there and the drag as others have mentioned is not reliably sufficient. Although it can be fun to fight fish on it, it's not something I'd want to use all day for Lakers.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:32 PM »
I use the black betty primarily for pan fish or shallow water, they tend to be more of a pain when fishing deeper water/bigger fish in my opinion. The retrieval rate on the inline just isn't there and the drag as others have mentioned is not reliably sufficient. Although it can be fun to fight fish on it, it's not something I'd want to use all day for Lakers.

Exactly

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:17 PM »

Good to know....a bit late though. I should of checked on here first. Spontaneous purchase....

I don't see myself fishing for crappy anytime soon so maybe an X-Mas present to someone that does. (after i try it first).

Thanks!

Offline BarringtonBrad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • either on the ice or wishing I was
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:21 PM »
I have 2 of the cheaper ones look like carbon fiber I believe they're eagleclaw,I used them once and gave them to my kids lol.i much prefer a spinning reel.like aqua said he tried mine the drag sux,and it has a very small gear ratio too.but ive never tried the black bettys.to me the only point in the inline reels is no line coils,but I use braid with a fluro leader so i don't get line coils in my spinning gear anyways.
Tight lines!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:25 PM »
My reel previous to the Black Betty is a Shimano Bait Runner Reel. i liked the bait runner option for fishing with Smelt in shallow water.

Dont really use it much, just when we are bouncing around the lake as i can get to the bottom and reel up quicker that a jig stick to keep portable.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2015, 07:17 AM »
It's NOT a good deep water reel for sure, I've used mine for crappie and whites and plan on trying shallow water rainbows and early ice brookies.  That was my experience with in-lines last year.
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2015, 11:17 AM »
The best way to use a inline IMHO is with a flasher, the quick drop from the reel plus a known depth to a waiting fish is a winner. The eagle claws have basically an ON or OFF drag, there is no inbetween, or easily taken out of adjustment by hitting that star drag accidentally.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.