Author Topic: Bows and Browns  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
Bows and Browns
« on: Dec 21, 2003, 08:34 PM »
I'm expecting safe ice near me soon so I am beginning to strategize on what I am going to do for Bows and Browns. I am going to start off, at early ice, shallow (less than 10-15ft) and jig with small kastmasters, jiggin raps and jigs tipped with mealworms. For tipups I will set them a couple feet under the ice, in less then 10-15ft, with small minnows, powerbait, corn,  and salmon eggs. For the tipups I will be using a 3ft leader of 6lb Trilene XT Green and alternating between a size 10-16 treble and size 8-12 single hook, depending on the bait. Does this sound like a correct approach for early ice Rainbows and Browns or should I change something??? The keys to this pattern are:  stay shallow (less then 10-15ft), keep bait just under the ice for tipups unless another productive depth is found from jigging, and alternate between powerbait, small minnows, corn, and salmon eggs for tipups. I hope I am on the right track, but please tell me if I am not!!!!!! I would like to hear your input on this pattern. Thanks - Fishinut
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Bows and Browns
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:06 AM »
Sounds good to me, although i would probably use just minnows, not the corn and salmon eggs, but thats up to you. JMHO :-\

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 01:32 PM »
i was catching bows in shore to 15 feet of water yesterday on my tip ups 5 feet under with little minnows, they were 18-22 and lost a bigger one. They run and drop it a lot so be ready for that. Tommorrow I am going for the browns.
tight lines
~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline love2fishnhuntNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:19 PM »
i'm glad i'm not the only one who experiences browns hitting, dropping, hitting dropping, i think they're just having a game under the ice, i'm getting them by waiting a few minutes for them to run again and then setting the hook, the bows have been pretty agressive though, good luck ;)

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2003, 08:07 AM »
 Your plan sounds reel good to me! If all else fails... Downsize, meaning go with lighter line,smaller trebbles,or lures. From my experience, browns on blue shiners along drop-off,open your bail, use a slip bobber and a rubber band for a stopper,and let them run for 10-20 seconds.`bows in shallow I run a dead-stick in a rod holder  with a #18 treble hook and 3 lively wigglers set 1/2 way down.I crank my drag as loose as it will go, and tape a small bell to the rod-tip.The `bows run and dont feel any tension,you know there on from the chiming of the bell. Good luck...

hardwaterhenry

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:16 AM »
u can't beat a small swedish pimple and a mousie or 2 on it

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2003, 06:55 PM »
I would suggest fishing a little deeper, and closer to the bottom. Try about 15 feet of water first and set your baits about two feet off the bottom, watching your sonar for fish coming in at other levels.
I really would suggest not using powerbait or corn, as they tend to favor smaller or stocked trout, not the real thing. I usually just run two rods, one with a small lure like a jigging rapala or a teardrop jig tipped with a piece of nightcrawler or a waxworm on 6 pound test line. Use your other rod as a deadstick, and just use a plain hook, split shot, and piece of nightcrawler or a live minnow.
Trout, at least here in Colorado, seem to be closer to the bottom, but can be anywhere. I would start in 15 feet of water within two feet of the bottom always, until sonar or a lack of bites tells me different.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:07 PM »
All I can say is that for browns, if they are dropping the bait, use lighter gear. Also hook the minnow as a quick strike rig, that will make it so they will have a pretty hard time not hooking themselves.
All a quick strike rig is is two #6 or #8 size treble hooks hooked into the minnow. The first one, you don't tie it on, the last one, you tie it on. ( The first hook is on the line, just not tied )
NO POWERBAIT!!!!
NO CORN!!!! corn can KILL fish. it is hard for them to digest it!!!!!! >:( >:(
Shrimpos are good jigs tipped with a waxy. Fish near the bottom at the start, but if you are not getting any hits, try suspending it
10-20 ft deep is best for trout.
Trout are SIMPLE to catch and TASTY to eat, but always remember to harvest selectiveley.

This ALWAYS works for me, and nobody has EVER outfished me for trout on the ice. ;)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline bandan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:16 PM »
i think your idea sounds good i do about the same but i go just under the ice to 15 ft and i do good with small minows with a size 6 circle hook and a mono leader

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.