The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Attention Anglers! ICE GEAR STOLEN IN NANTICOKE- LUZERNE COUNTY  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey guys! Former IS member MikeThePike could use your help. It's really a shame but sometime between 10pm and 3am yesterday night, some scumbag broke into the locked back cab of Mike's pickup outside his Nanticoke home and stole an entire ice sled loaded with all types of gear.  >:( The list of items stolen are as follows:

5- Heritage Laker Tip-ups with Polar bases and 1 Jack Trap Big Bob Tip-Up
1 - Ice Sled
1 - HT Ice Gaff
1 - Pair Hodgeman Studded Cleats
1 - 12' Cast Net
2 - Jigging Rods

For someone to go out of there way to break into a locked tailgate, its assumed that whoever did it lives in the town or around the area and has fished with Mike or seen what he has and knows the value of the said products especially considering they run close to $40-50 bucks a piece. The total value of everything taken runs between almost $500-$600. The big thing to remember here is that the tip ups he uses are not all that common to many anglers and hence can be easily spotted. His name and address are written in black permanent ink and you'd have to go through a bit of trouble to get rid of it.

The tip ups will probably be the best chance of finding whoever took the stuff since most of the other items aren't as recognizable or marked although the sled is bigger than usual and is not marked with any logos such as jet sled, etc.

and here's one of the sled and tip ups.

Please send myself or JMiser a personal message if you recognize any of those tipups that look out of the oridinary or with the top scratched or carved off where Mike's name would have been along with any additional information that can help such as description of person(peoples) or car make and license plate if possible or if your 100% positive you can contact Nanticoke Police.

Its pretty weird why you would steal the stuff in the first place, because in less your selling it to someone in another state, your setting yourself up for a bad day out on the ice if your dumb enough to actually use the items, because mike, myself, and at least a dozen other fishermen we're close to will be on the lookout at every lake we fish (or drive to) looking for the gear since we can notice it like it was our own.

I know its a long shot here, but we all know trying to find stolen items are next to impossible and the odds of Nanticoke police even looking into the case any further is doubtful. It's really only up to you ice fishermen to keep an eye out in Luzerne or nearby counties. Thanks in advance for any information any of you are able to provide on the missing items.

Pike Popper

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
That really sucks that that happened to mike.  I have had my truck broken into before luckily i had nothing in it.  sh1+ like this pi$$es me off.  You cant even leave your vehicles unlocked in your own drive way or homes unlocked when you sleep.  I even think some of the neighborhood kids siphoned gas from my boat this past summer.  I wish one day i will actually catch somebody doing this to me or one of my friends.  If only you could handle this type of situation like the guy on american history X did and get off scott free. 

How are you supposed to trust anybody??????

Oh well are those tipups mikes design.  they look pretty cool.  I like the polar tip-up for the base. 

What is the planer board clip used for near the spool.  Is it some thing to somewhat set the hook when the fish first bites.  I know he fished for big fish alot. 

I will keep my eyes open for his stuff.

Tell mike that when he comes over to the pack, if his stuff is not returned, I have some tip-ups he could use. 

Jiggerman ( Dave)

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey guys! Former IS member MikeThePike could use your help. It's really a shame but sometime between 10pm and 3am yesterday night, some scumbag broke into the locked back cab of Mike's pickup outside his Nanticoke home and stole an entire ice sled loaded with all types of gear.  >:( The list of items stolen are as follows:

5- Heritage Laker Tip-ups with Polar bases and 1 Jack Trap Big Bob Tip-Up
1 - Ice Sled
1 - HT Ice Gaff
1 - Pair Hodgeman Studded Cleats
1 - 12' Cast Net
2 - Jigging Rods

For someone to go out of there way to break into a locked tailgate, its assumed that whoever did it lives in the town or around the area and has fished with Mike or seen what he has and knows the value of the said products especially considering they run close to $40-50 bucks a piece. The total value of everything taken runs between almost $500-$600. The big thing to remember here is that the tip ups he uses are not all that common to many anglers and hence can be easily spotted. His name and address are written in black permanent ink and you'd have to go through a bit of trouble to get rid of it.

The tip ups will probably be the best chance of finding whoever took the stuff since most of the other items aren't as recognizable or marked although the sled is bigger than usual and is not marked with any logos such as jet sled, etc.

(Image removed from quote.)
and here's one of the sled and tip ups.

Please send myself or JMiser a personal message if you recognize any of those tipups that look out of the oridinary or with the top scratched or carved off where Mike's name would have been along with any additional information that can help such as description of person(peoples) or car make and license plate if possible or if your 100% positive you can contact Nanticoke Police.

Its pretty weird why you would steal the stuff in the first place, because in less your selling it to someone in another state, your setting yourself up for a bad day out on the ice if your dumb enough to actually use the items, because mike, myself, and at least a dozen other fishermen we're close to will be on the lookout at every lake we fish (or drive to) looking for the gear since we can notice it like it was our own.

I know its a long shot here, but we all know trying to find stolen items are next to impossible and the odds of Nanticoke police even looking into the case any further is doubtful. It's really only up to you ice fishermen to keep an eye out in Luzerne or nearby counties. Thanks in advance for any information any of you are able to provide on the missing items.

Pike Popper
I'll  keep my eyes open guys.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
I wish I had some spare equipment to donate for him to at least get on the ice this year.  I would be looking to crack some skulls if this was done to my equipment.  If he needs equipment to get on the ice this year, we should look into collecting some donated tipups?

Just a thought... one ice fisherman looking after another
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
Every dog has his day and the knuckleheads who took wasn't theirs will have their day.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline GOOSE6984

• IceShanty Rookie
Keep your eyes open in the local paper for ice equip. for sale and maybe even ebay. Sometimes the crooks ain't to smart. I hope that it all works out and everything gets found. good luck!
"Your only young once but can always be immature." Let the kid out once in a while and have some fun! Be smart and fish safe. Flag up!!!!!!!!

Offline Coleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
wow some people are just plain stupid....hope your bro get's his crap back sorry to hear about the bad luck .just remember the fishing community is small get the word out and just wait.buya #330 connibeartrap and stick there hand's in it it will be the last thing that they ever steal.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
This is MikeThePike making this post...PP gave me his password to post this...

The items were stolen out of the bed of my truck which is locked....anyone who has a pickup with a tailgate lock knows how its almost next to impossible to open them without breaking anything but thats how it was done...

As was stated and can be told by the pics, this isn't run of the mill every day gear, it sticks out. I only know 3 other guys who have their tip-ups set up like this, 1 being my neighbor, the other 2 being Sully and NJPiker on IS...

If anyone spots them for sale or being used on any lakes here in PA (Wallenpaupack or Beltzville would likely be Sully who I believe still has the "stock" flags on his) could you please contact me (cell - 1 908 966 3022) or the Nanticoke Police at 1 570 735 2200

I will be offering a reward to anyone that can help me in getting my gear back as its more of the blood and sweat that went into modifying the heritage lakers than the value of them...

Only 2 of them are set up with the line guides and release clips as the other 3 I haven't had the time to do so

Offline fishassassin

• IceShanty Rookie
What part of Nanticoke did it happen in?  I always take my stuff out of my truck since I hear stories like this often.  Even if they see a few pennies on your seat these scumbags will break in.

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
 That sucks, I'll keep my eyes open.
Jim K.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Attention Anglers! ICE GEAR STOLEN IN NANTICOKE- LUZERNE COUNTY
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:30 AM »
What part of Nanticoke did it happen in?  I always take my stuff out of my truck since I hear stories like this often.  Even if they see a few pennies on your seat these scumbags will break in.

MTP again....I live up the hill a few blocks in from the high school....in the few years I've been living here I have never had any problems....I've left my smoker in my backyard in plain view from the side street that runs behind it since last spring and never gave it a 2nd thought....my shanty has been sitting in the backyard for almost 3 weeks now and once again, I never gave it a 2nd thought which makes me believe it was indeed someone who knew what I had as they could have easily taken the shanty from my backyard (as long as they didn't wake my neighbor who is a recently retired corrections officer) while I was on vacation last week and no one would have noticed it missing...

I usually leave my power auger in the cab all season and it was there the night all my gear was stolen. Guess they knew better than to risk setting off the alarm for another $350+ in toys plus my Mustang jacket, hand auger, ect ect...

I'd like to thank everyone who's willing to keep an eye out and everyone who has offered to donate gear. I really appreciate it. I do have spare tip-ups to use but those were my pride and joy with upwards of 40 hours invested in each one tinkering with them until I finally had them set up the way I wanted. I was planning on buying a new set at the end of the season if I could find them on clearence somewhere but wasn't planning on now HAVING to buy a new set...

Dave, my number is posted....if you want to hit up the river and do some jigging for eyes tomorrow feel free to gimme a call....I needa get out on the ice and put a hurtin on em to blow off some of the steam from all of this

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Sad to hear, however it is not surprising to me.

There has been a lot of thefts in my area lately, people just have no respect for others or their property.

You may also want to take a look at any local pawn shops.

Hope everything works out ok.

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:26 PM »
mike,i got a spare set of lakers if u wanna use them.they dont have the bases or guides on them.give me a holla here or on yahoo if u wanna use em.i know how u feel bout all the time put into them tipups.thats about the only thing i care about that mite get stolen,anything else is easy to replace.

sully

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2008, 06:13 PM »
MTP
Will keep my eyes peeled
Know how you feel
Lost a treestand,feeder and camera all in one shot this
past deer season
hope you catch em :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.