The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Full Moon Bite ?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
Full Moon Bite ?
« on: Jan 22, 2008, 02:42 PM »
 Today being a full moon whats your opinion of how it influences how fish bite or don't. We only have 2 or 3 a year during ice season here in PA. My records from past years show that 2 days before till about 2 days after the fish don't bite good at all during the day and the best bite has been from just before sunset into the evening, what your opinion FRED
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Full Moon Bite ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2008, 06:03 PM »
   I was out today only for about 4 hour's. I think this was the first time I ever got skunked, I only seen 3 fish on the vex and not one of them even sniffed the jig. This is a pond that alway's yeald's at least 20  25 fish a trip.  Full moon suck's and alway's did for me.
Always keep your line wet!

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Try the midnight bite.  ;)
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 04:21 AM »
its worse fishing on full moon and last sunday 3 days before full moon i caught one fish for 4 hrs  and after should be good fishing ..... today i ll go out afternoon

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 05:59 AM »
I agree with Fred on this one.... We have experienced some days where the full moon kicked our butts... Never tried fishing later in the evening so this is definitely an option and will be explored!
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:05 AM »
full moon is a fish holiday I swear................. .................. :laugh:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:10 AM »
The bite is always slow for me on full moon but i go out any way

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:12 AM »
Does anyone know when the next phase is over for this moon? i am hoping today! being that i will be on Walker friday and saturday

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:43 AM »
I like to look at the Astro tables, and am pretty sure  the phases of the moon in relation to the Sun and Earth have a huge effect on the way fish bite. Unfortunately for those of us with full time jobs, the old adage ,''the best time to fish is whenever you can go'' is our guide. It is amazing how few good days show up on those charts, and even some of those don't pan out. IMO there are usually fish somewhere on a given body of water that will bite. (even if they are barely biting) I will try to find them no matter what the moon look likes, and despite what the tables might show. My day looks to be Sun. and I don't care what the moon looks like. At this point, I'm more concerned about getting done my family obligations on Sat. and securing permission for Sun. Tight lines to everyone!

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing? Hunting? So many decisions!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:53 AM »
Got out yesterday on a local lake and iced about 25 fish. Had to work hard for them............. a lot of lookers and not one agressive bite all day. Never would have caught many without the Vex and spring bobbers. Never gave the moon a thought, like Jiger, I had the day off, so I went fishin'. lol

SF
I worked all my life so I could retire to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!!!

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:02 AM »
My buddy and I got out on a local 4 acre pond on Monday morning.  Had constant gill action all morning long, icing between 25 and 30 and keeping half of them.  The bite seemed good.  I never paid much attention to the astro tables until I bought the Casio fisherman's watch this fall.  It was amazing how the wildlife became "active" before and during the calculated peak periods.  I'm a believer now. 

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:06 AM »
I also had the day off & fished from 7:30 AM 'till 6 PM. Caught a total of 3 fish all day!

Morning sunrise.

My one & ONLY bluegill.

One of the two perch I caught.

I don't really know if the full moon had anything to do with the slow bite, but I do know that every January there is always a period of one or two weeks that the pan fishin slows to a crawl on some lakes.

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:19 AM »
nice gill and nice perch! where were u at?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:42 AM »
the new moon was a festival celebrated from the earliest biblical times as the records go the big fish are caught during the moons the tactics changed due to the introduction of ocean species ie smelt and herring .all pelagic fish move by astral and lunar influences also influences the predator prey relationships you see the results by the local pond guys its an closed ecosystem and is less influenced, all lakes are two stagers you have the fish who stay put and you have the roamers chasing shad, pray you find the spot that the two come together i know one in muddy creek one in shannon channels is the key     mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:18 AM »
nice gill and nice perch! where were u at?

NE Pa.

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2008, 07:20 AM »
Yesterday was even worse. Could see the fish on the Vex, they would follow the jig, then slowly fall back down. Only iced @15 in 7 hours fishing. Well at least I know the fish are down there. When they get hungry again.........
I worked all my life so I could retire to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!!!

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2008, 04:43 PM »
Yesterday was even worse. Could see the fish on the Vex, they would follow the jig, then slowly fall back down. Only iced @15 in 7 hours fishing. Well at least I know the fish are down there. When they get hungry again.........

Hey Padre...............Ya shudda blessed  the lake before ya fished! 8)

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Hey Padre...............Ya shudda blessed  the lake before ya fished! 8)

Hey this can only be one person Ernie ;D New name 

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2008, 06:32 PM »
I also had the day off & fished from 7:30 AM 'till 6 PM. Caught a total of 3 fish all day!

Morning sunrise.

(Image removed from quote.)

My one & ONLY bluegill.

One of the two perch I caught.

I don't really know if the full moon had anything to do with the slow bite, but I do know that every January there is always a period of one or two weeks that the pan fishin slows to a crawl on some lakes.

Hey Gillahalic look's like you only fished a half day ;D ;D  What you do the rest of the day? ::)

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:29 AM »
Gillaholic, you sneeky devil, glad to see you are still alive!!  ::) The Over the Hill Gang rides again!  ;D

SF

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:24 AM »
Good to see the younger set enjoying the ice. Thought ya fished like a gentleman Jigger? The river is calling ,four inches, but not alot of action. Got a new trap and vex, just got done putting the trap together and am going to try it out this pm. Jerrys putting his time in, catch ya on the water.

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2008, 05:53 PM »
Good to see the younger set enjoying the ice. Thought ya fished like a gentleman Jigger? The river is calling ,four inches, but not alot of action. Got a new trap and vex, just got done putting the trap together and am going to try it out this pm. Jerrys putting his time in, catch ya on the water.
Hey PA.I S  I see you got onboard here. Took a while to figuer out who you were. I'll be over soon. I guess Jerry is still dry  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.