The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Newb here. What is better for crappie. Tip down or automatic fisherman rig?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline bruceruth1988

• IceShanty Rookie
I am about to embark on my first ice fishing journey and I will be primarily targeting crappie on a local lake(keesus).  I think I will be hand jigging one rod but I want to set up two more on some kind of rig.  I have seen tip downs and auto fisherman(automatic hook setting device) and I was wondering which is preferred for live baiting crappie?
Thanks

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip downs.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
 bruceruth1988 you should add your location to your profile.

Hands down tip downs will out produce tip ups and any hook setting device ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
 ??? Don't worry about device until you locate crappie depth.  They can suspend from bottom to just under the ice.  Jigging with flasher will some idea of where they are feeding.  I have a friend who swears by his tipups with tiny shiners but I have little luck. 

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip downs.  They bite lite, and sometimes the auto will rip their paper lips.  Plus, running for a tip down while it slowly points toward the hole is worth it.  Small treble (red) with rosy reds are my fav.

Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.