Author Topic: Marcum camera pinout?  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Dr Dean

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum camera pinout?
« on: Jan 30, 2016, 01:04 PM »
I have a Marcum VS380 camera that the magic smoke was let out of, embarrassing but they don't like getting the battery hooked up reverse polarity. In an attempt to recover from my DA moment I want to use the camera with a 7" generic display. I found this thread http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=282664.0 It says red and black to the led's and yellow, orange and ground(not shielded to the camera. Okay that's great information but I'm a bit gun shy at this point. Is it yellow=signal, orange=12v positive and the unshielded wire to battery negative and to the outside ring on the RCA plug for video. I did call Marcum on Friday and the guy I talked to sounded like he really wanted to help but didn't get back to me before the day was over.

Offline Dr Dean

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum camera pinout?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:13 PM »
Well I cut the cord today I have red, black, green, white, and a bare wire. Since it appears no one has knowledge on this I will be opening the camera tomorrow night when I bring the correct tools home from work.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2016, 10:43 PM »
marcum will be opened tomorrow tho. they have the knowledge you want.
i could take guess's, but that's no good. one thing that may help is if you find a shield wire wrapped around a wire, that wire inside the shield will be video. you would think a run that long would need a shielded video line from the power runs.
 the bare wire wire, if it's straight it may be a stress relief. if it's wound on wires, then it's a shield. the shield can be a ground and works better as a shield if it is grounded. if it were me and i had to guess. i think the bare wire is a shield and i would try to see what color it's wound around. pull on it to try to find out. that wire is center pin on the rca and shield will be the ground. if it's wrapped around two wires, then it must have two videos lines and i have no idea why that would be unless one is for black and white maybe. you souldn't hurt the monitor with no power going into it. so just ring the wire you choose for center pin to ensure no power. it's called line level power. the other wire must be to power the camera if it's not shared from the red wire and it probably is not. so the wire not wrapped should be power or 12 volt. the only risk here is not knowing which is power and which is video line  level/center pin rca. so you really need to pull on that bare wire and try to find what wire it maybe wound on. you may have to lose more casing to find out or make the call to marcum.

Offline Dr Dean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:28 PM »
I had called Marcum before posting, the response I got was "if it was on the bench in front of me I could tell you". Hmm yep he knows but won't or can't share.

So I broke down and cracked the camera pod open tonight. Here is what I found.
White signal, connected to center pin on RCA plug
red camera +, to battery positive (red)
bare wire camera-, to battery negative and RCA plug outer terminal
green LED+
black LED-
I reassembled the camera pod using Permatex ultra grey silicone. I plan on letting it sit for 24 hours then checking to see if it is water tight.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:04 PM »
thats cool!
so the other post was wrong on the led power pins and that would throw it all off. did you notice if the bare wire was a shield and wrapped around the white?

i guess i misread your first post saying he ran out of time to call you back last friday and didn't want to wait for today to call them back.

the good news is where there's a will there's a way! good job! i saved it so i can help any one i find asking too. thanks for the share!

Offline Dr Dean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:07 PM »
No the bare wire is not a shield, it's simply not insulated. My new monitor showed up today $30 on Amazon, it was delayed a couple of days due to weather, understandable so was I. The wiring on the monitor red, black, and blue. Pretty straight forward red positive, black negative, and blue is for a reverse function. The blue wire gets 12 volts applied to it and it switches to camera 2, I may put this into use later if I hook a second camera to this monitor.

So I got everything slapped together tonight in one of my old DeWalt drill cases, I'm not real impressed with my case setup and will probably redo it. I am thinking about using a 5 gallon bucket for my case and incorporating multiple batteries in the bottom as a power source for lights and flasher also. One thing I did that I believe will be good for me is shorten the camera cord to 30 feet, the deepest water I fish is 20 feet. Most of the time I'm in 10 feet or less. I will keep updates as I refine things.

Actually the other post may have been correct for a different vintage camera. I would guess that Marcum out sourced the cable assemblies so wire colors may vary. When I get time I will get the actual pin out as it would plug into the original monitor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.