Author Topic: LITTLE BUDDY HEATERS  (Read 6163 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
LITTLE BUDDY HEATERS
« on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:59 PM »
So tell me about these.How well do they work? Are they automatic light?
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LITTLE BUDDY HEATERS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Bought one last year and have been very pleased with it. Yes, they are automatic light and fits perfectly in my Frabill Recon. It also has an automatic shut off if it gets knocked over.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:01 PM »
other than being top heavy and that makes them tipsy, they work like the other mr heater portables. they are the cleanest burning heater i have ever used and i am allergic to smoke and fumes, so it is important to me.
i keep it with spare tank and stands and chemical hand warmers and mini propane glassless lantern with spare mantels and tiny cooking stove in a cat litter bucket with lid that serves as a table top.
the little buddy is not enough heat in hub shelters for us because we have the largest made in two brands, so we have the mr heater buddy heater also.we can use them both for extra heat. the little buddy is 3000btu. the buddy heater is 4000 to 9000 btu. the little buddy is ok for flip over single person.

the bigger buddy heater is great to hurry up the heating process when your getting out of the cold and i would recommend it over the little buddy if you have the room. i like that i can turn it to warm the air up faster and then turn it down to about what the little buddy is. or keep it blasting if it's extra cold or windy out.

put something that won't melt under it to keep it off the ice of put it on top of a crate or bucket. i use an inflatable hunting cushion and keep the heater forward on the edge of it to keep it from melting.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Id go with the portable buddy.good for 1 man or bigger shelter.i have both and my little buddy is unreliabe if it will lite or not.my portable buddy lites all the time.little buddy is 3800 btu fwiw.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:51 PM »
yer right, 3800 btu. i was thinking of my coleman propane catalytic heater with fan.

Offline Echobaywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:07 PM »
I just returned a little buddy that I bought about 13 months ago. I used it last  ice and deer  season, and used it on one ice trip this year without any issue. On  my second ice fishing trip, the unit crapped out. The pilot light would ignite with a strong blue flame, but the ceramic tile would not light. I emailed the company and they said to smack the unit 5 times with the palm of my hand due to the fact that a switch occasionally gets stuck. They also suggested that I clean the pilot tube with alcohol and a qtip, which i did. The unit lit off once after these measures and never worked again. They sent me a pre paid fed ex label and told me to ship it back for a free replacement, which i just did. Have not received the replacement unit yet. We shall see.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:50 AM »
I have a little buddy heater and it started giving me problems lighting at the end of last year. I tried cleaning the tube but that didn't do anything. I found that tipping it forward and to the side toward the thermocoupler would get it to start. I think the thermocoupler is the problem.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:38 AM »
I have a little buddy heater and it started giving me problems lighting at the end of last year. I tried cleaning the tube but that didn't do anything. I found that tipping it forward and to the side toward the thermocoupler would get it to start. I think the thermocoupler is the problem.
Mine wouldn't start a couple years ago.  Rather than toss it, I tore it down.  It's the Anti-tip switch sticking, thinks it still tipped over.  They're so top heavy it's easier to lay them down or store on their side.  The switch doesn't want to reset when you turn it upright.  I turn mine upright and swat it a time or two or shake it a little and it fires right up.  I cut a plywood base to fit in a bucket and screwed the plastic tank holder to it.  Spends more time upright. 

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:15 AM »
I started using one in my FX100 because my regular Buddy was usually too warm.  I like it because the smaller footprint takes up less area on the ice surface in front of me, and the angled design allows me to place it close to the front canvas.  Only issue I've experienced is it can be a slow starting rig at times - the pilot starts right up, but the main burner may take 2-3 minutes to fully ignite.  Happened more when the unit was new, but will still do it occasionally - always fires up eventually.  Also like that I can mount it directly to my 5-lb propane tank or to a 1-lb bottle. 

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:58 AM »
I started using one in my FX100 because my regular Buddy was usually too warm.  I like it because the smaller footprint takes up less area on the ice surface in front of me, and the angled design allows me to place it close to the front canvas.  Only issue I've experienced is it can be a slow starting rig at times - the pilot starts right up, but the main burner may take 2-3 minutes to fully ignite.  Happened more when the unit was new, but will still do it occasionally - always fires up eventually.  Also like that I can mount it directly to my 5-lb propane tank or to a 1-lb bottle.
Bucket... How do u connect to your 5 lb Tank?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Bucket... How do u connect to your 5 lb Tank?

A few fittings from Menards.

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:19 AM »
thanx

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:46 AM »
For a fast lite I carry a small butane torch and heat up the screen when it`s real cold, works great, if not it takes a long time to get the burner screen up to temp.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2019, 12:08 PM »
the one i had was a pos...over priced and needed a ton of replacement parts to keep it going after 2 short seasons of use. I've had a mr heater heater/cooker for a while now, 0 problems

Catchin' Fish

Offline BooBerry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:46 AM »
Mine has gone thru the ringer and is over 10 years old. Only replaced the rubber gasket for lp tanks it dried out. Works great.

Offline Smelt 63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Save sume for seed
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2019, 01:29 PM »
other than being top heavy and that makes them tipsy, they work like the other mr heater portables. they are the cleanest burning heater i have ever used and i am allergic to smoke and fumes, so it is important to me.
i keep it with spare tank and stands and chemical hand warmers and mini propane glassless lantern with spare mantels and tiny cooking stove in a cat litter bucket with lid that serves as a table top.
the little buddy is not enough heat in hub shelters for us because we have the largest made in two brands, so we have the mr heater buddy heater also.we can use them both for extra heat. the little buddy is 3000btu. the buddy heater is 4000 to 9000 btu. the little buddy is ok for flip over single person.

the bigger buddy heater is great to hurry up the heating process when your getting out of the cold and i would recommend it over the little buddy if you have the room. i like that i can turn it to warm the air up faster and then turn it down to about what the little buddy is. or keep it blasting if it's extra cold or windy out.

put something that won't melt under it to keep it off the ice of put it on top of a crate or bucket. i use an inflatable hunting cushion and keep the heater forward on the edge of it to keep it from melting.
Yes you guys are right on the days it's below 0 it tacks a couple min. like a good 2/3 min. to get it to light. But that's all the trouble I have.  Hey that is a good idea,what make of Lantern / cook stove are you using. That wood be better then my big lantern and a metal plate to warm thing's up.

Offline Smelt 63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Save sume for seed
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2019, 01:34 PM »
A few fittings from Menards.

That's a very good idea. Were did you get the parts for that. At the hardware, I can't fined the end for the tank just separate.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2019, 01:54 PM »
  That's a very good idea. Were did you get the parts for that. At the hardware, I can't fined the end for the tank just separate.

Not my idea - got the info from an older post right here on Ice Shanty.  I picked up all the parts including the tank connection fitting from a local Menards store.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2019, 02:27 PM »

could you give a brand or a link for the glassless latern? I like the sound of that and cant seem to find it on the Google
thanks!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I run an old, from the 90s, small sunflower on top of a 20lb tank. I had to buy a 90 degree adapter but that paid for itself the first 20lb tank. I think my sunflower is far more fuel efficient than the little buddy's.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:08 PM »

Not my idea - got the info from an older post right here on Ice Shanty.  I picked up all the parts including the tank connection fitting from a local Menards store.

I posted this in 2014, reply #27 in the following thread https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=272090.msg2806207#msg2806207
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:48 PM »
could you give a brand or a link for the glassless latern? I like the sound of that and cant seem to find it on the Google
thanks!
they are not as bright as with glass, but it got old breaking globes from fish splashing water on them. i won't go back to using globes after finding this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Ultralight-Compact-Camping-Lantern/dp/B00JQ2FOP4

takes an adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Kbrotech-Camping-Adapter-Cylinder-Canister/dp/B07CB4CV56

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Company-Rosette-Lantern-Mantles/dp/B000PB7JBM

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Ultralight-Portable-Backpacking-Ignition/dp/B00B4FY8YO

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:59 PM »
they are not as bright as with glass, but it got old breaking globes from fish splashing water on them
exactly my concern. do you see much benefit from this style versus a battery powered lantern of equal or greater price?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2019, 10:03 PM »
lanterns are a hassle compared to led lighting. i use a cob led hot glued to a small plastic harbor freight ammo box with a lithium battery in it for most of my main lighting anymore, plus a headlamp.

i break out the lantern for group fishing and set it out for an area light. it used to be for low heat and light and i like it much better than my single mantel glass globe propane lantern.

now i use the cob light and one of my mr heaters for heat instead of the lantern. nice as a back up light and heat source also.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:28 AM »
thanks 3300, I have one of those free lights from harbor freight that has the hook. lights up the shanty pretty well. I have a little buddy now, so I think that will replace the old propane lantern for heat. I appreciate the info!

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:20 AM »
I have a Mr Heater and it's alright.  It throws off a good amount of heat but it is loud as hell and will certainly eat any of your gear that you get too close to it.  Had the great idea of cooking on the ice with it but that hasn't ever materialized.  All in all I'd go for one of the buddies (or 2 if you have a big hub).  We were out in my double a few weeks ago and had one of the big buddies and the mr heater and it got the job done.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F242300-000-15-Cooker/dp/B004W7VJU2

Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:17 AM »
minus 17 air and minus 40 winds in a shappell fx100i and mr heater portable on high. quite a bit of air getting in from skirting. i had a fan on low pushing hot air back down, but didn't seem to do much.
right side hole kept freezing so did the fishing line. no puddles on the ice from the heater like we get closer to 20 degrees. had my coat, gloves and hat off and tunes on calling in the fish.
in the littler bucket i have another mr heater little buddy and a spare flame king full bottle of propane and the mini glassless propane i could have used for more heat if i wanted more.

thanks!
temps were in the 30's and i took a picture for you to see this glassless lantern. you can compare it to the dual mantel coleman white gas lantern my buddy is using. i couldn't be near it for long, it was choking me out. same with his smokes. with the propane lantern i can be enclosed in a shanty and not get chocked out. it is loud tho.
i think a headlamp is a must have or at least it is for our group. i can hang it on the top bar of my flip shanty and aim it where i want it to stay.

lantern's

pic of cob led hot glued to ammo box powered with a lithium eo battery. i use it the most and a headlamp.

minus 17 degrees air temp and a picture taken early before sunset of headlamp on top bar facing ice holes and works great for tying or baiting hooks hanging this way (frost in thermal welds of tent were from previous days). i use rechargeable 14500 lion 3.7v batteries and keep four on me plus one in headlamp.
i can charge them on the marcum shuttle and my bluetooth speaker and phone or any battery under 5 volts.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:09 AM »
For anything other than a small one man flip, I'd recommend the portable buddy over the little buddy.  I have a bigger one man flip and the little buddy struggles to keep it warm on cold days.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:21 AM »
thanks for all that info 3300 I appreciate it!

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 07, 2019, 09:35 PM »
I love mine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.