The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Billings Area Ice Conditions  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
Billings Area Ice Conditions
« on: Dec 16, 2005, 01:18 PM »
Does anyone have any information on ice thickness or fishing reports for Deadmans, Cooney, Castlerock, or Tongue River?

Last I heard there was about 4-5" of ice around Rattlesnake Point on Toungue River Reservoir, that was last weekend (Dec 10).

Deadmans is frozen over, Fish and Game said the ice is 6" but fishing is slow.  Some one that drove by yesterday said there was a pressure ridge that has created some open water conditions near the boat ramp.

Cooney has 6" of ice, according to Fish and Game.  No fishing reports.

Does anyone know the conditions of Castlerock?

I am going to go to Deadmans saturday to see if the salmon are spawning.  Hope the ice is good.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: Billings Area Ice Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2005, 10:42 AM »
I drove by Castlerock on my way to work yesterday.  There was probably half a dozen groups of people fishing.  I talked to one group, they said the ice was about 6" thick.  I asked if they were spearing, they said just tip-ups.  They said they were catching a few fish here and there.
Darkhouse

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
Re: Billings Area Ice Conditions
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:47 PM »
I took a look at Castlerock yesterday.  Lots of open water and unsafe ice.  Need some artic air to refreeze it before any ice fishing can occur. 

I'm planning on trying out Tongue River Reservoir over the New Year's holiday.  Hopefully the ice has held up there.  Heard the fishing is pretty good.  Rumors of a 10 lb walleye iced at TRR recently.

:tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.