Author Topic: How deep is to deep for perch?  (Read 12292 times)

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
Re: How deep is to deep for perch?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:04 PM »
In my experience on Perch, fish that you catch in water deeper than 40-60 feet are dinks.  On the other hand, one of the local lakes I fish is only 10-12 feet deep and it holds nice Perch.  However, they are hard to find and keep interested. 

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 19, 2010, 11:44 PM »
i catch most between 20 and 30. was marking them over 40 today, but no takers. biggest perch of the day were all in 24

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:48 AM »
In August, during the warmest water temperature of the year, we catch them at 78 feet between Dunkirk and Silver Creek on Lake Erie. They are stacked up like cordwood and you are shooting fish in a barrel. I guess that is where the thermocline is at that time and water temperature.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline 101HoosierPerchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:49 PM »
The answer is circumstantial.. It all depends on how big the watter is your fishing.. just the other day I was consistantly catching them in seventy feet of water, but the lake i was fishing gets over 100' deep.
FISH: An animal that grows the fastest between the time its caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.

Offline duckman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:19 PM »
  I do best 30 to 50 haven't caught much pass 50.

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:03 AM »
i owuld say it depends on water temp alot perch like cold water similar to walley but in the winter it is more so were the food is and how close they are to spawning ive cuaght them form 10ft to 70 ft all depends on the time of year water temp and food prolly how clear the water is also

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:29 PM »
man made reservoirs are a lot differant to fish then your lakes back East you don't have that natural structure,there it was 30 to 10 fow. now its seems i find them fishing in a lot deeper waters.Aways wounder about those deep flats too. they must go somewhere deeper,those little sucker seem to disappear mid day ? been looking hard for those famous deep water islands or humps !!!!
(PATHFINDER)

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:49 AM »
Depends on the overall size and depth of the lake. Usually don't need to go over 25' (do well @ 12'-18' on most) on the small(ish) waters where the deepest part isn't much over 50'. Larger lakes that are over 100' I've taken nice ones at 45'-50'. Much has to do with the structure, oxygen, food available and they're preferences. Give me a food rich flat in the top half of the overall water column and I'll be content

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:31 PM »
 it depends on where the oxygen levels are for the fish to breath.           no since fishing in 100 feet of water, 60 feet down if the oxygen level is at 40 feet.   use a flasher, camera or talk to the locals (iffn they'll acknowledge your existance).           no marks at 100feet and lots at 50, fish 50'.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:14 PM »
It all depends on each lake and the time of year but the deepest I've fished for perch is 30-35'. I've also caught them as shallow as 1-2' of water late in the season :tipup:

Offline fearless02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 28, 2011, 01:18 PM »
i have seem them schooling at 5' down...

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:55 PM »
I mounted a laker out of Lake Michigan several years ago that was taken in 110 feet of water. It had  fresh yellow perch in it's mouth when it came up. One of the captains maintained that the perch numbers never really went down the perch just moved to deeper water.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline CravingIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:26 AM »
For me, too deep is when I'm pulling up dinks with their air bladder sticking out of their mouths.  Prefer to catch perch in less than 30 feet of water.
Seventy percent water, thirty percent land...it's an ANGLERS WORLD!!!

Offline 24-7 Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Anyone know if those perch end up surviving when their air bladder is sticking out??

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:35 AM »
For me, too deep is when I'm pulling up dinks with their air bladder sticking out of their mouths.  Prefer to catch perch in less than 30 feet of water.

X2 i fish abought 30 to 35 feet of water for them at my home lake.

Offline wickedwind

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:15 PM »
24-7 ,no perch do not survive if air bladder is out.Somewhere around 30ft seems to be the max for release,although i've had perch distend from that depth also .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.