Author Topic: Biggest fish ever caught through the ice?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Biggest fish ever caught through the ice?
« on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:03 AM »
Could this be it?   Someone mentioned it to me the other day,  and the more I think about it, it's quite possible.

Here is a great recap story of the entire experience from catch to submission to the media attention and finally the backlash from the haters.  The hate I've received over this fish was completely unexpected and really took me by surprise.  Can you believe that the DNR actually received threats for certifying this as a new record?  Local enforcement even had to get involved.  What a sad, sad thing.  :(
https://www.stcroix360.com/2019/03/famous-fish-st-croix-sturgeon-crowned-as-new-champion-receives-national-attention/

Here is the last word from the MN DNR:

"Five DNR fisheries staff, two DNR conservation officers and the state record certification official reviewed Troseth’s state record fish application and supporting documents. After concluding that all requirements had been met and that the fish had been legally captured, the DNR officially certified Troseth’s sturgeon as the new state catch-and-release record."

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Biggest fish ever caught through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:23 AM »
Thanks for the link.

Could be the biggest for freshwater.   I read once about catching Greenland sharks through the ice.. those have a few pounds on any sturgeon.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:24 AM »
Thanks for the link.

Could be the biggest for freshwater.   I read once about catching Greenland sharks through the ice.. those have a few pounds on any sturgeon.

Oh man sharks through the ice would be awesome!   

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:28 AM »
This one is pretty big

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:33 AM »
This one is pretty big

Not sure that one counts,,,,,,,,,,,, I heard it had been stocked in that pond.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:37 AM »
Those guys deserve a catch an release recognition. They landed it, and released it with clear pictures and a video of the whole catch, I mean really how can you deny that one...lol, amazing fish, hope to catch one some day. They have been restoring them here in ny but not fishing for them legally yet,
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Great job on maintaining class and being a good sportsman.  Funny how jealousy can make people act and talk.  Congrats on a great fish of a lifetime...maybe of all time thru the hardwater!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Congratulations Darren,  that is an awesome fish.  I can't imagine what went thru your mind as you were pulling it thru the hole,,,,,, and it just kept coming and coming.  I'm truly glad you were able to capture the whole thing on video.  I'm sure your future family members will be enjoying the video for years to come.

Again, congrats.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Death threats? Ya I believe it.... Animal rights activists are the lowest form of life on this planet.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:20 AM »
Death threats? Ya I believe it.... Animal rights activists are the lowest form of life on this planet.

Except for, ya know, actual murderers and rapists.

Congratulations on the catch, DTro, truly the most amazing accomplishment an ice angler could ever think possible.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:22 AM »
Thanks again

I did get a bunch of PETA stuff, but it’s easy for me to brush that off.   Believe it or not, the biggest vocal opposition was from fellow fishermen who think it shouldn’t count because the hook popped out and rehooked outside the mouth about an inch (either during the fight, or pulling it through the ice).  At one point I looked down and clearly seen it in the mouth.    I was so jacked up I had no idea until some posted a screenshot of the video.  I mean I sit there for hours and hours and hours waiting for the bobber to go down. I mean how much MORE opposite of intentional snagging can that be?  In fact I think that was about my 40th hour waiting for a single bite.  I don’t think people understand that.  Think about 40 hours on the ice without a bite.  Haha

Sure is fun to have the whole thing on video to relive again and again and an awesome experience,  the hate is unfortunate though. :(

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:24 AM »
it was released what more do they want.  I swear I can figure some people out. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:11 AM »
guess I didn't read enough to see the part about the hook outside the mouth.  I can see where that could cause snagging concerns for some.  me and you (dtro) have corresponded for many years starting on the catfish site.  in all those years I never got an impression you were a hack, snagger, poacher.......... of any kind man.  i have no doubt that it was caught legal.  i mite be skeptical of others though.  so i can kinda see where the concerns come from.

hope all calms down for ya soon brother
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:23 AM »
guess I didn't read enough to see the part about the hook outside the mouth.  I can see where that could cause snagging concerns for some.  me and you (dtro) have corresponded for many years starting on the catfish site.  in all those years I never got an impression you were a hack, snagger, poacher.......... of any kind man.  i have no doubt that it was caught legal.  i mite be skeptical of others though.  so i can kinda see where the concerns come from.

hope all calms down for ya soon brother

thanks

Yep, there is a legal definition and also an ethical consideration.   It’s the “intention” that mostly describes both here in MN.  According to some that I’ve spoken to, even if that fish had come in tail hooked it would have been a legal catch.  I think even IFGA might have qualified a “non intentionally” foul hooked fish.   Think about how many trolled walleyes come in the boat with a crankbait in the face.   At any rate, you can imagine how difficult it might be to try and actually snag a fish that strolls by every dozen hours or so….through a hole in the ice….in 30ft of water...in a river with current. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:24 AM »
it was released what more do they want.  I swear I can figure some people out. lol

X2...people are losing their minds these days.
westernmas on the finder

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:45 PM »
inch outside the mouth!?!? Yeah, right. Hope your local econ police wrote down  your license number, G.D. snagger.

Jkk:) So jealous, awesome fish

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:32 PM »
Check youtube for the dirty jobs greenland shark episode. Now that's a big fish through the ice!!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:15 AM »
Good job on the catch.  Lake sturgeon take a long long time (age) before they mate and then successfully spawn.  This one was probably approaching that time.   Also good job on the release for the future species.

Offline lil maggot

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • What better is there to do in the winter?
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2019, 09:54 AM »
You know, it's an absolute shame that people just cannot find respect for one another. Clearly he hooked into the fish, and you could see the hook in its mouth just prior to them icing it. This is absolutely the fish of a lifetime! I just don't see a reason to threaten the man or anyone else over a fish, even if it is a record setting catch. It is amazing what jealousy can do to people!
:icefish:  :icefish:   :icefish:  :icefish:   :icefish: :icefish:

Ice fishing line of fire ENGAGE!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Congrats Dtro!  Limelight tends to have pros and cons!

Offline Billy Strings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:07 PM »
Congrats dude.  I know you put in a lot of hours for those dinos and I wasn’t surprised to see you get the record.  Absolute beast.

The haters are ignorant.  You don’t snag sturgeon like that bobber hooking with a single hook.  Don’t let them tarnish your amazing catch. 

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Congrats Dtro!  Limelight tends to have pros and cons!
Pros and cons.
Thats the name of our fishing team.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:44 PM »
If anyone has caught a good sized sturgeon, they will know that many times, the fish can easily get wrapped up in the line itself.  Does that change anything on the initial bite and hook up?  No.

Caught and released and submitted.  It's all good.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.