Author Topic: electronics - Showdown 5.6?  (Read 997 times)

Offline hockey14

• IceShanty Rookie
electronics - Showdown 5.6?
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Showdown 5.6 or something else ?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: electronics - Showdown 5.6?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:07 PM »
watch youtube videos of the different brands of electronics and go with what you like. I've been using a vexilar fl-8 for the last 13 years and have been very happy with it.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:23 PM »
I have a showdown 5.6 dual beam for the past four years and like it a lot.  It's extremely simple to use and understand, the top of the screen is the top of the water column, the bottom is the bottom of the water column, and anything in between is either your jig or a fish.  Some don't like that it's not a color display but I don't have any complaints about it being "black and white".  The only real drawback is that you can't set it up into a split screen where you can see the entire water column and the part that you're zoomed into but I don't have an issue with that. 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2019, 07:54 PM »
I have had the dual beam showdown for about 8 years now.   Honestly I wish I had sent it back when I got it.   The thing has a great idea just too many issues with it. 

This fall I'll be shopping for a new unit.   Either a lowrance or vexilar will be my next one.
Don

Offline Vine Valley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:07 PM »
I've owned a Showdown for 5 years. With all the innovations in the last 5 years, my Showdown is now an antique. Before next winter I want to buy something that has GPS. I have a Garmin in my boat and I love it. I recommend whatever you buy, get a unit that includes GPS.

Offline Vine Valley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:07 PM »
I've owned a Showdown for 5 years. With all the innovations in the last 5 years, my Showdown is now an antique. Before next winter I want to buy something that has GPS. I have a Garmin in my boat and I love it. I recommend whatever you buy, get a unit that includes GPS.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:07 PM »
Had my showdown for quite awhile now, really like it!!original battery still!!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:56 PM »
the marcum lx 6 is a colored showdown with graph. the lx7 is same, but larger. the lx 9 is same as lx 7, but with camera. the sonar engine in these are much better than the the showdown. aqua-vu created the showdown and marcum bought it to own the vertical tech used in the digital display.

the graph is much more important then the vertical chart line(s). i don't miss my flasher.
they look like this

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:21 PM »
I've had my Showdown since the first year they came out, never had a problem with it. I like vertical presentation as it is more realistic to the way we are fishing, straight up and down not a circular pattern. Color separations don't make a difference as it easy to distinguish the difference between ones bait, the fish and the bottom/weeds. Also, that whirring noise of some locators doesn't help to catch fish either.

Offline MrcrappieFichter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2019, 11:02 AM »
I’ve had two show down trollers, both acting funky once out of warranty. Recently bought a garmin striker 7 plus. So happy with the change. I’d look into the garmin strikers, for about the same price. Easy to use, easy to read. The a scope feature is the same as a showdown.
Teach a boy to fish, he will feed himself. Teach a man to plumb, he will feed his family.

Offline hockey14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2019, 03:59 PM »
thanks for all the input seems like theres a lot of options its good to get your opinions Thanks again

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:20 PM »
the marcum lx 6 is a colored showdown with graph. the lx7 is same, but larger. the lx 9 is same as lx 7, but with camera. the sonar engine in these are much better than the the showdown. aqua-vu created the showdown and marcum bought it to own the vertical tech used in the digital display.

the graph is much more important then the vertical chart line(s). i don't miss my flasher.
they look like this
(Image removed from quote.)

If money wasn't an issue I'd upgrade to the LX-7 because it does everything the Showdown does and a good deal more.  One thing I can say with absolute certainty is I like the vertical graph display and any fish finder I ever get for ice fishing will have that in it. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.