Author Topic: Fish eyes for bait...  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fish eyes for bait...
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:33 AM »
There's a bait shop in, I think New York, that sells rubbery perch eyes.  I bought some from him off Facebook.  Can't remember his name.  I sent $5 and got a zip lock bag with 20 or 30 of them in it.  They look real and stay on the hook good.

I use them, they are not the catch all but I have caught fish with them.  I use them to supplement a red spike or waxy. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:10 PM »
I have eyes in my fridge that are over a month old now (crappie eyes btw). While they are cloudy, they still work great. I toss them in some anise flavoured alcohol to preserve them. They keep good and firm and I figured anise infused plastics do great for panfish, so adding it to the eyes should work as well. Nice side effect is that for once my hands smell good after handling bait!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:52 PM »
When I fillet the perch I caught and they have minnows (babies perch, gills or crappies) in their stomachs I use perch eyes the next time out.

Offline Waxthumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:06 AM »
I tried putting some in veg oil and storing in refridge they didn't seems to work as good as fresh ones.
I also made a tool out of wire with loop and sanded it a lil to sharpen like suggested I was amazed how well it worked.
And yes caught perch on fresh eyes.
Thanks for the info everyone...

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:05 PM »
I can't believe people use a tool for removing perch eyes (although I've read it here many times).  Just press hard with your thumb under the eye and out it comes!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:10 AM »
I can't believe people use a tool for removing perch eyes (although I've read it here many times).  Just press hard with your thumb under the eye and out it comes!

Ditto 2x concur

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.