Author Topic: Wawassee Perch  (Read 2784 times)

Offline KDdid

• IceShanty Rookie
Wawassee Perch
« on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:11 AM »
Been thinking about a trip to Wawa for perch, it's been years since I fished it. Used to find them in front of the yacht club in 30-40 feet of water in February, but quit going when the size dropped to dink status in the late 90's.is it worth the effort anymore?

Offline treetalks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wawassee Perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:27 AM »
Went out two weeks ago and fished for around 8 hours and caught one keeper around 11in. caught probably 30 dinks I was right at 40 fow

Offline ripnlips42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:13 AM »
I went Tuesday and caught tons of dinks and not one keeper.

Offline ryoder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Gotta have the magic touch to find the jumbos is the "sea"
 ;D

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:37 AM »
I haven't fished it in a while for perch but I use to hit it hard when I had my old 4 wheeler. I haven't been back since I've added my latest 4 wheeler but I intend to.

Here is a map of where I did the best. Keep in mind that these spots were hot from sun up until about 10:30 am and then the fish would head deep off the sides of the bar marked "1". I was roughly .25 mile off of the point on Ogden. I was fishing in about 9 foot of water. It seemed that if I got a little deeper...say 12 foot, the fish weren't there. You may get one here and there but that was because they were only traveling up the break. The main feeding was taking place on the flat of the bar. The same holds true for spot "2". Remember that these are giant bars and the fish could  be anywhere on it. You will have to do a lot of drilling but generally the area held fish for the morning run.

After they shut down, a few fish would bite in the trough between the two spots. You would pick up a lot of dinks in it but still pull some quality fish.

I never caught many dinks up on the bar in the morning but I'm assuming that's because the Pike were thick on it as well. Look for matted weeds or pockets in them. I did a lot of scouting on my stomach staring down the hole.

edit: I just checked my coordinates and I was .25 mile from the point on Ogden not 1,200 yards.

Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2015, 09:03 AM »
thats a beautiful thing.  Wish there were more posts like this.  Great job.
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Jigmup...that is a quality post there buddy....I am sure someone will thank you when they get into a bunch.
Duane

Offline KDdid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Very Nice. I've never fished the shallow bite, most of my experience there has been trying to pull them up from 30 plus feet in the afternoon. May have to make a epic walk from the launch to find these guys, as a coworker got on them in that vicinity at ice out a few years ago. He had some nice fish in that mess.

Offline j9mill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:44 PM »
I'm in search of perch this Saturday morning since the wife works half a day. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. Here was my plan of attack.

1. Hit this area just as sun is coming up. Caught perch here before so since it's closest I'll try it.
2. If after 1/2 hr nothing happening at 1 I'll make the hump out to here.

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:02 PM »
stupid question but if a guy wanted to get out on Conklin Bay and setup could you park at the frog and walk out from there?  I know it's a hike, just asking.  Or does Oakwood allow you to go out from there?  I'll be in the vicinity next week so would like some options other than my home base.
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Offline j9mill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:05 PM »
If you look where the "P" is. That is an open gravel/grass area that people park at for ice fishing the slip and that end of the lake. Not sure if the Frog would tow or not, but get there early and walk out from where I labeled parking and you'll be fine.

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:13 PM »
I thought the P was just a green flag  or something.  Thanks man!!
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Offline j9mill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:19 PM »

No Problem. I wouldn't turn to the right walking out of the channel. That is known as "the slip" that holes has been fished since ice up and it's a tough bite there. Steer clear of shanty town and fish the breaks to the south for perch. If you fish in conklin bay you may still pick up some gills and crappies. Weed through the dinks and you can make a decent mess. I fished the slip 3 weeks ago. small black fly with a wax was what the gills were mostly hitting. Good luck! If you see a new model silver avalanche with a Glock, Hoyt and DU sticker....that's me. :D

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:24 PM »
I would stay away from the frog,and park as labeled.
crankin holes and droppin lines

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:27 PM »
I dont have a map to show but Waco point has givin up some dandy jumbos in the past,but due to a hip problem I cant walk it this year.
crankin holes and droppin lines

Offline IceSkak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2015, 04:22 PM »
I'm in search of perch this Saturday morning since the wife works half a day. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. Here was my plan of attack.

1. Hit this area just as sun is coming up. Caught perch here before so since it's closest I'll try it.
2. If after 1/2 hr nothing happening at 1 I'll make the hump out to here.

That's a very generous offer that's to good to pass up. I'll be staying at Oakwood Fri and Sat.
Sat. Is 8:00 check-in time for the derby at Oakwood. As soon as my plans become more clear I will let you know.
I think I get two parking spots, as soon as I find out I'll let you know... Thanks
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline j9mill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Sounds good. I have a sled of 2x2 and plywood, I'll have camo waders a carhart jacket and a green bay packers stocking cap. If my shanty is up its a camo hunting blind staked to the ice.

Offline IceSkak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Sounds good. I have a sled of 2x2 and plywood, I'll have camo waders a carhart jacket and a green bay packers stocking cap. If my shanty is up its a camo hunting blind staked to the ice.
I got more info from Oakwood today gimme a call 765-432-6338 my name is Dan.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2015, 02:06 PM »
I got more info from Oakwood today gimme a call 765-432-6338 my name is Dan.

I think the derby is gills and crappies only and since they don't let you leave the hotel until 8 you will be missing the best 90 minutes of fishing of the day.  Kind of a late start considering the bite at daybreak will be over by the time they release you.

Offline j9mill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2015, 02:08 PM »
I'm not fishing the derby. Freezer still has some room.

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:23 PM »
I'll be out there this coming Friday.   Any members going out ?  Come say hi if you are.  It will be my first time on wawa and I'll be doing a lot of drilling and searching.   Plan on being around spot 1 with tip ups and a jig pole.   Can't wait.  Looks like I'll be solo since my buddies are dropping like flies ::)
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:48 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I heard j9mill needs to eat a cheeseburger.  Or maybe it was that I ate his cheeseburger.  It's hard to recall at this point.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.