Author Topic: So why do you ice fish?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: So why do you ice fish?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 09, 2018, 06:33 PM »
The French philosopher Descartes nailed it: "Ego pisces, ergo sum".

Nothin' better!  :icefish:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ruining Everybody's Good Time
« Reply #61 on: Nov 09, 2018, 07:58 PM »
I love ice fishing.  Best way to get my reasons out there is probably through list form.  In no particular order:

1.  Vices:  For some reason when I'm ice fishing the beer and cigars taste better.  I'm not a big drinker (1 or 2 beers on the weekends?) and I don't smoke unless I've had a few, but when I'm ice fishing everything seems amplified.  This also goes for junk food.  Ever notice how a $0.99 can of ravioli cooked over a Buddy heater tastes like it's from a 4 star Michelin restaurant?   :P

2.  Army of One:  In ice fishing you are in control of your own destiny.  Nobody giving you the "back of the boat" angles for casting or difficult winds keeping you from controlling the boat.  You can do whatever you want, whenever you want.  Want to take a beer/smoke/stretch/nap break?  Go ahead, you won't bother your fishing buddy!

3.  Timing:  The fact that ice fishing season falls in the middle of winter (Duh!) gives me a free pass from the wife.  As it's "cruddy" weather I don't catch much flack for disappearing for a long weekend a couple of times per month during Dec/Jan/Feb.

4.  Hillbilly Ingenuity:  Ice fishing lends itself to Man-Projects.  I'm sure we've all sat and tinkered in the garage on an ice fishing project.  When I'm done I usually puff out my chest and give a couple of Tim "The Toolman" Taylor grunts.

There are a ton more, but this is a good start :)
Check out the Great Lakes Goofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knttuPRpZbk

Offline bwcafishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:02 PM »
My best friend got me into ice fishing.   I originally thought is was boring.  Boy was I wrong.   It’s nice knowing someone that knows what their doing.   We go out on early ice and late ice and get a workout and catch fish almost every time.  I love the thrill of be8ng on the ice.  There is something about being in a pop up with a lantern and heater when outside the wind is blowing wind chills temps down.   I remember in Rudolph when Cornelius says “it’s not fit for man nor beast outside “.   There we are catching crappies, listening to music, telling jokes and sharing stories.   It’s one of my few happy places.   And dont even get me started on rods, reels, electronic, lures, boots, lanterns, ice suits, etc.   Simply put, it’s the healthiest addiction I have. 

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Nov 16, 2018, 09:35 AM »
I fish on ice on a lake because that's where the fish are! In the winter , that is:-)
Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Basically because of my business. April though October  I put in 14 hour days  for approximately 200 days straight. Winter is my time,hunt,fish and do anything I want to. I don't have a boat and can't go when my buddies are killing lake Erie walleye and perch. Soon I will have my own boat and hang up working. I fill the freezer with jumbo perch,slab crappie and giant " Bull" gills. What more does a man need. I've been on hard water longer than I care to admit. Ice fishing is the greatest winter game going.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:40 AM »
 frankly , I am a better ice fisherman then a summer guy. I limit out far more

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I fish. I fish all the time.  I fish from a boat yet many times not.  In the summer I may fish from a bridge at times.  Seems like every other time I am fishing from a bridge, somebody else shows up.  200 feet of bridge and where do they want to fish?  LESS THAN a rod length away and casting over my line!

I've never had anyone cast over top my line while ice fishing.   Ice fishing is my happy place.  I can fish in the open if I want to be social or I can hunker down in my portable and be in my own little world.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Nov 17, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Bad question from the OP---question should be addressed to those who don't:: "Why don't you ice fish? What's your excuse??" (just a wimp, maybe??)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #68 on: Nov 17, 2018, 04:35 PM »
 :o Maybe he didn't think he would find any non- ice fishermen on an ice fishing forum. ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Nov 17, 2018, 05:20 PM »
maybe they would just hang out on here for the banter?? ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #70 on: Nov 17, 2018, 05:36 PM »
I think you figured it out.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline muskee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Nov 17, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Just nice to get out away from all the everyday hoopla and enjoy the outdoors and unwind. Nothing like hearing the line peel out as pike runs off and the then ever soft hit from a walleye to see if you are still awake lol.
Tracy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.