Author Topic: which would you get?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
which would you get?
« on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:45 PM »
which would you choose and your only choices are: Marcum M1 for $299 or the Marcum Recon5 for $279? one drawback is that with the camera, it's useless in low light to after sunset conditions, Am I right?

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
Re: which would you get?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:49 PM »
which would you choose and your only choices are: Marcum M1 for $299 or the Marcum Recon5 for $279? one drawback is that with the camera, it's useless in low light to after sunset conditions, Am I right?
I dont know the difference between the cameras but I have the marcum lx 9 and the camer is worth every penny. So much fun...but yes, places like south bay Champlain. Useless.

Offline Joma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:54 PM »
No, the recon has both led and ir lights on it, though either option seems to hit the battery hard. That said, the M1 will last easily a whole day of use, and since you would want a tripod to turn your camera, likely the cheaper option.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:29 AM »
I’d get the M1. I have two VX-1i’s (M1’s without the brushless motors) and they are nice little machines. Cameras are severely limited by the water conditions. Lack of light, night time, water turbidity, microscopic invertebrates that look like glitter on your screen. And, the Recon5’s aren’t the greatest cameras around. AquaVu tends to have a better comparative camera/screen resolution than the Marcum’s (although they are made by the same parent company).

Having said that, you can’t really compare a sonar signal to camera.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2021, 10:21 AM »
We have a saying, "When in doubt, do both."

Sonar/flasher first, camera second.

IMO
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2021, 10:23 AM »
I have both. Rarely if ever bring the camera-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2021, 10:25 AM »
I have both. Rarely if ever bring the camera-

X2!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2021, 03:30 PM »
If I had one choice, I'd take the flasher over the camera any day.  My uncle has an underwater camera, which is neat sometimes but very limited on water conditions. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2021, 04:43 PM »
thanks guys. really wanted a camera but need a 2nd flasher for when my grandson comes with me. I already have the VX1P, so I'm familiar with the M1. Now, how do I sneak this past my wife, now that she's working from home.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2021, 05:20 PM »
i just did some price comparisons. Cabelas has a sale on the M1. $50 off brings the unit to $299.99. everyone else sells them regularly for $299.99, even Marcum, but Marcum is out of stock!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2021, 05:31 PM »
Camping World has the M-1 for $259.97. Between the two , flasher or camera, I’d go with the flasher every time, hands down!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:07 PM »
Camping World has the M-1 for $259.97. Between the two , flasher or camera, I’d go with the flasher every time, hands down!
sold out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.