New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Please explain this  (Read 1018 times)

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
Please explain this
« on: Nov 28, 2015, 04:21 PM »
obviously I know that water freezes at 32 degrees, How long does it take for lakes to freeze? I know it depends on the lake but looking ahead in to December there are a lot of 40+ degree days. With El Nino this year is it possible that some lakes wont freeze for example silver,Conesus and Chautauqua?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Please explain this
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:55 AM »
I live near Saratoga Lake and drive by every day.  Cold is one factor, but a more important factor is the wind.  You need a string of cold days, and then no wind for the lake to freeze.  Once its completely frozen, it is fairly resistant to the wind and warmer temperatures.

There are some years when the larger and deeper lakes don't freeze.  Lake George is open every four or five years, some years only the bays freeze.  Good thing, lets the perch recover.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:02 AM »
In the last 15 yrs that I can remember, conesus has not frozen twice. The warm winter we had a few yrs ago was pretty bad but Silver lake was fishable on the north and south ends. Don't know about Chautauqua. If you have a small boat, some of those mid winter days can be great fishing.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2015, 04:20 PM »
awesome.. thanks guys.. I really hope that these lakes do freeze!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:31 AM »
The larger the body of water the longer it takes to cool and freeze, Wind moving water is a huge factor, as well as elevation.Once a lake freezes over from end to end it has a much better chance of thick ice, The lakes in the Adirondack's will freeze first, with this warm weather,maybe in about two weeks, the rest of the state maybe by christmas or new yrs. The outlook for the next 90 days is warmer than normal temps We can only hope they are wrong

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:35 PM »
I sure hope so!!!

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:35 PM »
I don't even think two weeks is enough for most bodies in the adks. I'm hoping
three weeks. The forecast doesn't look great, and I looks bad for here down in the valley. I'll be happy if I'm fishing before Christmas.
Pete

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I don't even think two weeks is enough for most bodies in the adks. I'm hoping
three weeks. The forecast doesn't look great, and I looks bad for here down in the valley. I'll be happy if I'm fishing before Christmas.

Did they lock off and lower the canal yet so it can freeze?   
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:00 PM »
    Did they lock off and lower the canal yet so it can freeze?

How good does it freeze and where? Just bought a house that is within dragging distance to the canal! New to the valley...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.