Author Topic: Big browns thru the ice  (Read 960 times)

daves

Big browns thru the ice
« on: Jan 05, 2004, 05:48 PM »
(also posted in tips/ trout) I icefish a manmade impoundment in connecticut. I've caught browns to 7lbs., rainbows to 5lbs, and brookies to 3lbs. However, the action is rarely hot. Usually you'll get 3 strikes/ 3 chances at a decent trout. What I'm looking for is some more insight, activities, and possible movements and locations of the largest browns in this body of water. Here's a description of the lake: a couple hundred acres, very clear water, soft, sand, gravel bottom, largely devoid of any vegetation, depths to 90ft+, forage according to stomach contents:fish-perch, crayfish, wide variety of aquatic insects. Have caught perch in excess of 2lbs. Everything on tipups-use minnows, sometimes worms. Jiggin' produces nothing!!! I'm looking for the 10lb+ brown trout that I know is in there.  No ice yet, but I'm waiting with baited breathe. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and acknowledged.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re:Big browns thru the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 07:45 PM »
sounds to me like you've got it pretty much figured out...thats pretty good trout fishing in my opinion...the only other thing you could is to try near structure/dropoff/basin that is near a tributary spawning stream.

Offline Greenglo_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He who has the most toys wins!!!!
Re:Big browns thru the ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2004, 11:54 AM »
Been hammering browns and rainbows here in Ct. If you need help at your pond , let me know. Am not a trout hog.
He who has the most toys wins!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.