Author Topic: Best Cordless Fish Fillet Knife  (Read 6073 times)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Best Cordless Fish Fillet Knife
« on: Mar 04, 2023, 03:27 PM »
What brand and model of cordless fillet knife do you think is the best buy. I have a 110V knife and would like to go lithium ion cordless.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Cordless Fish Fillet Knife
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2023, 05:41 PM »
Try the new R12 Rapala before you decide. I think the batteries are the same as my 12 volt Milwaukee drill but not 100% sure. I’ve hated every battery knife I’ve ever tried (sorry Baba) but these things are great. Super fast and powerful. I’ve only used my friends a couple times but I will own one before summer.

Offline mikeylapew

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hard water- good times"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2023, 07:53 AM »
I have a bubba that works fine. Came with two batteries and four fillet blades. The handle is bulky and gets to the wrist after filleting 30 perch. Cordless is the way to go!
Fishing or going..

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2023, 08:05 AM »
Really like my Rapala R12.  The batteries appear to be same as Milwaukee M12, but the casing is slightly different, so they don't fit in the knife.  The only thing I don't like about the R12 is that the plastic blade release/holder doesn't instill much confidence in me, but we'll see in a few years.  My buddy has the lithium Bubba and that's also nice. 

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2023, 10:00 AM »
I have a bubba that works fine. Came with two batteries and four fillet blades. The handle is bulky and gets to the wrist after filleting 30 perch. Cordless is the way to go!
Yes, the handle is bulky yet not overly heavy. The Bubba Pro has a 7 1/4 in. C. at mid hand. Built for a bigger hand.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2023, 10:21 AM »
I recently picked up an Old Timer cordless but haven't used it yet. Price point was about half of the Rapala and Bubba. I have a corded Mr Twister which works fine and a corded Rapala that is nearly unusable.  It was a total lemon that didn't cut so much as tear fish apart so I wasn't willing to go that route again.  Now I'm just waiting to get out and bring home a mess of pans to give the new one a try.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2023, 04:08 PM »
I am considering the Old Timer cordless and the Rapala R12. Whichever I can find locally.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2023, 09:21 PM »
I purchased the Rapala R12 heavy-duty lithium fillet knife this past fall and have filleted quite a few fish since then. This is the newer version of their cordless fillet knife. I had the older one and this one has way more power and speed than my old one. So far it has been very good.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2023, 04:41 PM »
I have the cordless Old Timer and Bubba.  I like both.  I use the Mister Twister blade in both because I like the not as aggressive blade.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2023, 04:36 PM »
We use the Bubba Pro Lithium Ion knife. We've used it on 20lb king salmon, half frozen slab crappie , walleye, pike and perch. The handle is a little large, but it cuts good. I bought a couple of extra batteries so I can handle whatever we end up with. We put them through hell, and have had no problems for a couple of seasons.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2023, 02:17 AM »
I cannot provide subjective opinions or reviews. However, I can give you some information that may help you choose the best cordless fish fillet knife based on objective criteria.

When selecting a cordless fish fillet knife, consider the following factors:

Blade Material: Look for a knife with a high-quality stainless steel blade that will hold an edge well and resist corrosion.

Blade Length: Consider the size of the fish you will be filleting and choose a knife with an appropriate blade length.

Battery Life: A good cordless fish fillet knife should have a long-lasting battery that can handle several hours of use on a single charge.

Comfort and Grip: Look for a knife with an ergonomic handle that provides a comfortable grip and reduces fatigue during use.

Brand Reputation: Consider purchasing a cordless fish fillet knife from a reputable brand with a history of producing high-quality knives.

Accessories: Some cordless fish fillet knives come with additional accessories, such as a storage case, charger, or additional blades. Consider these when making your purchase.

By taking these factors into account, you can find a cordless fish fillet knife that will meet your needs and provide reliable performance.

Holy cow!!!  :o  This HAS to be an AI bot post!!!  :blink:   ::)  :nono:
Tight lines!

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2023, 02:19 AM »
On another note, I would recommend the new Rapala R12.  Most powerful cordless filet knife I’ve used.  More powerful than any plug-in I’ve ever used too!   :thumbsup:  The non-stick blades are a nice touch as well.  Easy to clean.
Tight lines!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2023, 06:40 AM »
You’re right on both accounts. That is one weird blah post. And, Bubba is 7.2 volt like my 2nd Gen Rapala which sucks. The R12 is 12 volt and, as you said, as fast as any corded knife I’ve ever used.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2023, 09:00 AM »
I wish Milwaukee would just make one based off their M12 Hacksaw in an ergonomic handle for filleting fish.  I've got a pile of batteries and their brushless motors are the cats meow.

Offline GenesCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2023, 02:19 PM »
I like the Bubba.  Battery life is great, and I love the case.  Not only does it hold the Bubba, batteries and blades, but there's enough extra room for a hand filet knife in there, a sharpener for that, and a pair of filet gloves.  Everything I need to filet any size fish stowed away in a compact case that I can take anywhere.  I brought it on a fly in trip and over the course of 7 days didn't even drain the first battery. 

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2023, 03:13 PM »
Trust me, if it cleans a catfish this easily, it will work great on everything else.  It's a great knife.

&t=2s

Offline Iawinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2023, 10:12 PM »
Went from original Rapala cordless, to the R12. Really like the faster blade speed. I got 2 batteries with it, but can go through quite a few crappies before I have to swap them out.

My son has a Bubba. Didn't like the blades that it has with it, but I'm sure that can be upgraded.

Offline fishchef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2023, 07:49 AM »
Anyone in the market for the R12 the BPS Spring Sale kicked in today and it's on sale for $135.98.  Website also states free shipping for orders over $50:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/rapala-r12-heavy-duty-lithium-fillet-knife-combo?searchTerm=2898924

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2023, 10:37 AM »
Thanks fishchef, that is a great deal. I’ll be on the phone as soon as I hit submit.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2023, 02:07 PM »
Dexter, powered by my hands!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2023, 06:40 PM »
 i quite like the basspro knife. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2023, 04:19 PM »
Looks like the Rapala R12 Kit for me. My local Runnings has them in stock.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2023, 12:13 PM »
Went from original Rapala cordless, to the R12. Really like the faster blade speed. I got 2 batteries with it, but can go through quite a few crappies before I have to swap them out.

My son has a Bubba. Didn't like the blades that it has with it, but I'm sure that can be upgraded.

All cordless knife blades seem to be more or lees the same where they connect to the knife. I had to remove some of the plastic on the Rapala blades to make them fit, but I can use the Bubba, Berkley, and Rapala blades depending on the fish I am cleaning. The Bubba blades are good for big ones with thick ribs that are hard to cut through, but they chain saw through the spine of smaller fish.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2023, 09:36 PM »
I found the Rapala R12 Combo on Amazon for $129 plus change. It will be delivered tomorrow.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2023, 10:26 PM »
I pulled the trigger on the R12 when BassPro had them on sale for $135 for the whole kit with 2 batteries and 2 sets of blades. Some of the Amazon listing weren't too specific but I felt like for the price they were asking they were probably the 1 battery 1 blade kits.

Looking forward to using mine on a Canada trip this June, should be able to fit it in my tacklebox for our shore lunches and make quick work of cleaning lots and lots of walleye. Might even keep a few whitefish next winter now that it won't be such a pain to clean them.

Can anyone confirm if the R12 batteries are interchangeable with the Milwaukee M12 batteries?

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2023, 11:13 AM »
I pulled the trigger on the R12 when BassPro had them on sale for $135 for the whole kit with 2 batteries and 2 sets of blades. Some of the Amazon listing weren't too specific but I felt like for the price they were asking they were probably the 1 battery 1 blade kits.

Looking forward to using mine on a Canada trip this June, should be able to fit it in my tacklebox for our shore lunches and make quick work of cleaning lots and lots of walleye. Might even keep a few whitefish next winter now that it won't be such a pain to clean them.

Can anyone confirm if the R12 batteries are interchangeable with the Milwaukee M12 batteries?

I tried a M12 battery.  It's close, but they don't fit unfortunately.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2023, 05:46 PM »
My Rapala R12 performed great cutting the ham at Easter, but broke when cleaning some walleye this weekend. After about the 4th fish, one side of the blade mechanism quit working. It also got quite warm in the span of a few minutes. Not sure if that's normal or not.

I bought it from Basspro.com and luckily I have a Cabelas nearby. They will exchange it for me no problem. I am taking it to Canada in a few weeks so I'm glad it broke when it did rather than 4 fish into a week long fishing trip. Hopefully the replacement works better than the original or I'll be looking for something else.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.