Author Topic: Best Bet For Lakers  (Read 3338 times)

Offline TheDudeAbides88

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Bet For Lakers
« on: Feb 27, 2023, 09:07 PM »
Looking to get after some lakers this upcoming weekend, not looking to get after giants would rather have numbers of smaller ones 16-20”, also not looking for coords I can read Navionics maps for that, looking to stay within an hour or two of Meredith.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Bet For Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2023, 01:13 AM »
Not exactly sure what you are asking for - and I am not an avid laker fisherman, but I expect for replies you will receive:

- A link to the fish and game site with lake maps - each listing the species found in the lake...
- The name of major lakes in the region that are known to have lakers in them, like Winni or Newfound etc.
- Nothing at all.

Good luck in your search

Offline TrackerScout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2023, 05:02 AM »
If you are close to Meredith and looking for lakers I would try Winnipesaukee.
 ;)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2023, 05:53 AM »
If you are close to Meredith and looking for lakers I would try Winnipesaukee.
 ;)

X2 on Winnipesaukee

Offline TheDudeAbides88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2023, 06:54 AM »
The big lakes very slow for numbers right now, I’m taking my little one up to NH for the weekend and wanted to get on a bunch if I can.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2023, 07:44 AM »
 IF your intention is to take a youngster fishing, as you state, a better option would be  taking him for bass/pickerel or panfish, the pictures are not as impressive on face book, but it will mean more to the child  AND alot of other folks.  Have a great day/weekend and enjoy your day with the little one, they wont be little for  long.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2023, 07:46 AM »
The big lakes very slow for numbers right now, I’m taking my little one up to NH for the weekend and wanted to get on a bunch if I can.
How do you know that the big lake has been slow for laker numbers?

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2023, 07:47 AM »
IF your intention is to take a youngster fishing, as you state, a better option would be  taking him for bass/pickerel or panfish, the pictures are not as impressive on face book, but it will mean more to the child  AND alot of other folks.  Have a great day/weekend and enjoy your day with the little one, they wont be little for  long.

Roccus said exactly what I was thinking when I read your post.  It's good advice!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2023, 08:39 AM »

Spot on……I never took my kids laker fishing…I wanted them to enjoy themselves and not P*$$ and moan about being bored
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2023, 08:43 AM »
Somewhere, a PINK FLAMINGO is flapping its wings and screaming “but it’s for the kids!!”🤣

Fixed it 😂

Offline TheDudeAbides88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2023, 11:17 AM »
Not trying to come off as an ass, but I don’t need the “fish for X instead” comments. I’m fully aware of how slow it can be, we’ve been fishing and catching every other species this year all over the place, wanted to get her on something different this time.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2023, 11:22 AM »
Interesting... Not too often somebody that claims to be "fully aware" and has "been fishing everywhere and catching every other species" asks questions... Good luck with that BS
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2023, 11:31 AM »
Not trying to come off as an ass, but I don’t need the “fish for X instead” comments. I’m fully aware of how slow it can be, we’ve been fishing and catching every other species this year all over the place, wanted to get her on something different this time.

then why are you asking for help... posts like this are EXACTLY why people get wound up, now I'm done being polite - get in your vehicle and go fishing find your own fish and stop whining about the slow laker fishing, if you fished half as hard  as you claim to , you wouldn't be asking for help .. as expected, this has  NOTHING  to do with children and everything to do with another angler feeling entitled to not put in the work and looking for a short cut to success.

We need the Pink flamingo back.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2023, 04:48 PM »
I was trying to be very diplomatic in my initial reply but I think a flat out FLAMINGO may have been appropriate.

You guys were much more forthcoming with suggestions... though as expected - Winni was the recommended lake in the Meredith area for lakers.

There really wasn't a direct question in the initial post, and though he stated he wasn't looking for spots he can read Navionics, then what was he looking for? A BUSY Lake? I am pretty sure the same lake can suck for one and be great for another at the same time unless you are in the RIGHT SPOT.

I'll give you credit - the kid card (true or otherwise) was not played until the initial replies were not satisfactory and you tried for more.

It wasn't until you played that card did you get the sound advice about just get them out for flags. There have been lots of posts this year with people showing just that (kids getting flags) and if you READ any of them you'll see these same members that offered you advice congratulating and encouraging them (which BTW you could have done as well). 

Too bad you didn't post any of the successful trips where "we’ve been fishing and catching every other species this year all over the place" during this season... we would have enjoyed seeing those and congratulated you.  As a contributing member, maybe with pics even, you probably could have flat out posted a request for a spot for that was hot for lakers so you could get the kid that has caught everything else a laker and may have even gotten a PM with such a spot.

As for "not trying to come off as an ass" I hope your fishing has been more successful  - cause at that you failed.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2023, 05:12 PM »
I was trying to be very diplomatic in my initial reply but I think a flat out FLAMINGO may have been appropriate.

You guys were much more forthcoming with suggestions... though as expected - Winni was the recommended lake in the Meredith area for lakers.

There really wasn't a direct question in the initial post, and though he stated he wasn't looking for spots he can read Navionics, then what was he looking for? A BUSY Lake? I am pretty sure the same lake can suck for one and be great for another at the same time unless you are in the RIGHT SPOT.

I'll give you credit - the kid card (true or otherwise) was not played until the initial replies were not satisfactory and you tried for more.

It wasn't until you played that card did you get the sound advice about just get them out for flags. There have been lots of posts this year with people showing just that (kids getting flags) and if you READ any of them you'll see these same members that offered you advice congratulating and encouraging them (which BTW you could have done as well). 

Too bad you didn't post any of the successful trips where "we’ve been fishing and catching every other species this year all over the place" during this season... we would have enjoyed seeing those and congratulated you.  As a contributing member, maybe with pics even, you probably could have flat out posted a request for a spot for that was hot for lakers so you could get the kid that has caught everything else a laker and may have even gotten a PM with such a spot.

As for "not trying to come off as an ass" I hope your fishing has been more successful  - cause at that you failed.

He's looking for access spots, that's all.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2023, 05:15 PM »

Well put Dennis
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2023, 06:39 PM »
Not looking for coordinates....just coordinates  :blink:

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2023, 06:50 PM »
Wow, been too busy working, fish when I can. This site has become a most hateful, bash on anyone you can thing. I simply fish for getting away from the work rigamarole. I don't post because everyone and any tears you apart from even the other side of the country. I don't don't FB at all, glad I don't because I see how vicious this group of fisherman can be. I would gladly give any one of you all coordinates to any of my spots. I've met some really great people through this site, but dayyyyum...

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2023, 06:53 PM »
I understand it's a crumby ice year, I found small ponds in SWNH the day after Christmas and laker water Jan 1in the same area, no reason to be turds gentlemen

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2023, 08:22 PM »
You can try South Pond in Stark. It’s gonna be a ride, not sure what conditions are like, but plenty of small lake trout. I’ve had better luck jigging than with traps. Make a post after, we’d love to know how you do…..
Tight Lines!

Offline TheDudeAbides88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2023, 08:22 PM »
Wow, been too busy working, fish when I can. This site has become a most hateful, bash on anyone you can thing. I simply fish for getting away from the work rigamarole. I don't post because everyone and any tears you apart from even the other side of the country. I don't don't FB at all, glad I don't because I see how vicious this group of fisherman can be. I would gladly give any one of you all coordinates to any of my spots. I've met some really great people through this site, but dayyyyum...

Yup. It’s even worse on the ice Facebook groups, I was even banned from a NH one for posting early ice reports, everyone was saying no ice on 19 mile and that just wasn’t the case. Most people in this state think they own the waters and it’s just for them.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2023, 06:48 AM »
I agree 100%,this group has gotten more caustic with the usual posters tearing into folks. I understand the frustration when people ask for hot spots etc. The old adage works here "If you have nothing good to say then say nothing". Just ignore the post and move on!!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2023, 07:10 AM »
Come to ny we welcome you with open arms you can come fish schroon and put a beat down on small lakers flags jaw jackers jigging you chose

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2023, 08:17 AM »
Looking to get after some lakers this upcoming weekend, not looking to get after giants would rather have numbers of smaller ones 16-20”, also not looking for coords I can read Navionics maps for that, looking to stay within an hour or two of Meredith.

you can try Winni, but be very careful of the ice - esp. w/ a little one.  Snow is covering up alot of weak ice....it's absolutely not uniform...and it's not that thick either.  Bring a spud bar, ice picks around the neck (not in the sled) + keep a close eye on the kiddo.

good luck!   :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2023, 11:26 AM »
Come to ny we welcome you with open arms you can come fish schroon and put a beat down on small lakers flags jaw jackers jigging you chose

Thankful I dont fish that circus anymore. At least regularly.  Also wrong day and his kids will die of bordom.

Also I loath a world where differing opinions are considered tearing others down.  When did people become unable to accept a differing opinion.  Frank where are you! Ha!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2023, 11:27 AM »
I agree 100%,this group has gotten more caustic with the usual posters tearing into folks. I understand the frustration when people ask for hot spots etc. The old adage works here "If you have nothing good to say then say nothing". Just ignore the post and move on!!

Will end up like CT's board that way.  Crickets.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2023, 12:14 PM »
I think the problem is people asking for handouts without contributing at all. If you ask for a handout, dont expect everyone to give you exactly what you are looking for. Some may, others wont, and some will but will send you on a goose chase and you were better off not asking to start. Its a risk you take anywhere in life, not just Iceshanty. People have gotten so soft these days that they cannot take no for an answer and then point fingers that bobby and billy were mean to them.

For this post specifically, what exactly are you even asking for?  You kinda pumped your chest out about knowing how to read a map and catch other species and yet you are asking for a small laker hot spot. Thats how I took in anyways. Winni, you already know that.

The way that you organized your original post is the same reason you got the answers you did.  ;)
Just add water.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2023, 12:19 PM »
I think the problem is people asking for handouts without contributing at all. If you ask for a handout, dont expect everyone to give you exactly what you are looking for. Some may, others wont, and some will but will send you on a goose chase and you were better off not asking to start. Its a risk you take anywhere in life, not just Iceshanty. People have gotten so soft these days that they cannot take no for an answer and then point fingers that bobby and billy were mean to them.

For this post specifically, what exactly are you even asking for?  You kinda pumped your chest out about knowing how to read a map and catch other species and yet you are asking for a small laker hot spot. Thats how I took in anyways. Winni, you already know that.

The way that you organized your original post is the same reason you got the answers you did.  ;)

Nailed it Sharps, as usual.  What put me off immediately is the "not looking to get after giants would rather have numbers."  Wouldya?  Like that's even a thing.  I'm psyched if I get 2-3 fish when I'm laker fishing.

And yet I still replied with the recommendation of Winni.  Lots of people get pissed when they're not spoon fed.  FACT.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2023, 01:57 PM »

Well you did come off as an a$$, someone simply gave you advice and you somehow got offended by that? You’re a real gent😂 it’s actually people like you who ruin sights like this. You got kicked from fb because you give early ice reports? I wonder why that is, Maybe because you put other people at risk and also blow up  lakes and ponds.  I don’t know why people have such a hard time comprehending this.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2023, 02:00 PM »

FREE the FLAMINGO!!!!
Obviously....We need you to flap your wings again!!
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.