Author Topic: Rookie Mistake  (Read 1492 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rookie Mistake
« on: Feb 27, 2023, 05:54 PM »
Took some of my college buddies out for their annual ice fishing trip. They typically only make it out once a year and it generally ends up being one of the colder days of the year. Headed out Saturday to probably the busiest access on Winni, but was hopeful the cold would keep most away and it did.

Brought the brand new big buddy with me and took the portable buddy out of the truck because why would I need two heaters? Figured I’d make more room for my passengers…..

Headed out to our spot, managed to catch a good amount of smallies and a handful of whites, but no lakers. Luckily no wind and good layers made everyone warm and comfortable in the monster lodge, but the damn heater wouldn’t work! And of course, didn’t bring my other one. Lesson learned ! I took it apart today and figured out the issue.

Overall, everyone caught fish and it was a good time. Ended up giving my leftover smelt to an older gentlemen who had a bob house out there who I chatted with for a while, nice guy! Still a good amount of ice out there if you’re willing to look for it.

Tight Lines!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Rookie Mistake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2023, 06:32 PM »
Nice whiteys!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2023, 06:46 PM »
You had a house, you dont  need no stinking heater.. it was  a cold  one for sure.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2023, 07:09 PM »
You had a house, you dont  need no stinking heater.. it was  a cold  one for sure.

You’re definitely right! No wind is everything. Didn’t even wear my jacket except for the snowmobile ride! No gloves most the day either.
Tight Lines!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2023, 07:15 PM »

You’re definitely right! No wind is everything. Didn’t even wear my jacket except for the snowmobile ride! No gloves most the day either.
I don't  mind. Cold, don't mind snow. I can deal with.a little rain, butvwind makes me a grumpy old man,  it just adds a level of misery that takes  the fun out of it..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2023, 07:13 AM »
Nice report, bummer about the heater but sounds like everyone survived lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2023, 09:55 AM »
Those buddy heaters are so friggin' tempermental I am very close to jumping on the diesel heater bandwagon. I carry a baby buddy and a few 1lb tanks as a backup to my Portable Buddy and 11lb tank. I also have a spare thermocouple with me if I am overnighting.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2023, 09:03 AM »
Brought the brand new big buddy with me and took the portable buddy out of the truck because why would I need two heaters? Figured I’d make more room for my passengers…..

The Buddy heater engineers will make you pay every time for something like that!  I haven't needed mine this yr, but, as others have said, very temperamental devices!  Glad everyone survived the cold.   ;D

Quote from: bassin212 link=topic=393462.msg4310073#msg4310073 date=1677542093
Overall, everyone caught fish and it was a good time.
[/quote

Nice!

Quote from: bassin212 link=topic=393462.msg4310073#msg4310073 date=1677542093
Still a good amount of ice out there if you’re willing to look for it.
[/quote

x2!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2023, 09:24 AM »
Nice whites.  They’ll cook up very nice
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2023, 11:03 AM »
Thanks everyone! Funny enough I got my portable buddy for free, had it for years, beat it to hell and it’s always ram. Got this big buddy brand new (smoking deal though $86 shipped) have babied the thing and so far, not so good 😂😂 that’s just how it goes!

When I ice camp I always bring 1lb and both heaters. Definitely a better have and not need situation and bring my tool box along as well. At least I’ll know where to start looking if things don’t work in the future
Tight Lines!

Offline Stinkbait81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2023, 12:51 PM »
Great story and sounds like it was still a great day with friends.  Nice fish too!

Offline Stinkbait81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2023, 12:51 PM »
Great story and sounds like it was still a great day with friends.  Nice fish too!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2023, 12:43 PM »
At least you didnt get skunked, great post.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.