Author Topic: Flame king 1 pounder  (Read 909 times)

Offline Extcat

• IceShanty Rookie
Flame king 1 pounder
« on: Feb 22, 2023, 08:27 PM »
Not sure how hard they are to find anymore, like hens teeth last summer.
Anyway in Menards in Livonia Michigan yesterday, the shelve was full of them along with the kits.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flame king 1 pounder
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2023, 08:36 PM »
There's a plethora of them available online, in person can be hit or miss

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2023, 08:29 AM »
I should nab a couple of those. I've still got plenty of the standard disposable ones, don't use a ton of heat when I go out, but I don't really trust refilling them and they're expensive and a pain to dispose off. A trustworthy refillable seems like the way to go, 6 would probably get me through a season no problem
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2023, 09:29 AM »
Most Menards are a pretty good bet. About $15 right now with their 11% rebate.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2023, 09:31 AM »
Splattypus  they can be game changers...make you go/stay when conditions are brutal . Heat on demand ...before I got may FK tanks I was stingy with my one pounders...so much that I probably hadn't used a tank in years ...now it is my go to solution ...I have probably fished more hours in any given day because of them as opposed to previous years..now I fish till the bite stops instead of when the bite goes slow/cold for me .It is nice to break down and put stuff away in the heat ...warm up before the final break down of a hub/flip over then trek on home . I do recommend the stand/kit ..gets the tank to the right height ...also a plastic spring clamp helps as well.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2023, 10:26 AM »
I'll keep my eye out. I remember seeing  them somewhere last year, late aummer/fall for like $10 a tank. I'd still need the accessories for sure, definitely the stand.

I was contemplating a 5lb tank and hose, especially now that I've got a hub big enough for it all to fit comfortably. Still trying to find a close refill station. I do know one attached to a bait shop, but it's on the other side of town and too close to the in-laws house 😬

I figure that would last me most of the season. It's seldom I'm packing up because it's too cold. And I don't go out when it's really cold because I'm lazy and a pansy and it's justification for me to take it easy at home after a brutal work week.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2023, 01:41 PM »
Splattypus

Looks like there is a Mernards near you..and those prices on the tanks and kit are pretty good ..I suggest 4 tanks . On my Portable Buddy Heater I use approx 1 tank per outing ..I have a Trophy Angler bag for my heater which can hold 2 extra tanks plus one connected to the heater .

https://www.menards.com/store-details/locator.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2023, 01:54 PM »
There are so many Menards around me, I could spit and hit one. 2 if it's windy.

And yeah I've got the bag for the heater too, it's great. Protect the heater during storage and travel, and holds plenty of extra tanks. I believe I could get 5 total, counting the one connected already (I think they sent me the larger bag than I ordered)

Offline jjxx84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2023, 11:03 PM »
I debated on buying a couple 1 pound tanks, but saw that buying 2 would've been a little bit less than buying a 5 pound tank.  So went with a 5 pound tank instead.  $50 at costco, otherwise around $55 on amazon or menards.  Cost me $5.19 to fill from empty.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2023, 05:26 AM »
 I bought a FK kit plus 5 extra tanks , pre Covid when prices were very reasonable, definitely was a good investment
 As they get 6-$7 a bottle in my area ,  before that I did refill the the other 1#
 Comes to roughly 70 cents per 1# tank 
 For my 2 man I have a 5 and 11# , in the last couple years I’ve hardly used it

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2023, 05:31 AM »
I've used a 5# tank for a long time and liked it because of it's economy. Also got an 11#er which has been barely used but nice for multi-day trips. Finally bought into a stock of Flame Kings for a couple reasons: First I've been fishing frequently by myself in a one man flip. Don't use heat in that often but space is at a premium and weight is important. With that I've also found I can stow 3 - 4 of the FKs easier than that single 5# tank.

And no, I'm not divesting myself of any of my big tanks. They don't owe me a penny and may come in handy.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.