Author Topic: Kids on the ice.  (Read 2071 times)

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm new but I'm awesome! Also, humble.....
Kids on the ice.
« on: Feb 22, 2023, 04:20 PM »
Got my daughter out for the first time this past weekend. She had a blast and so did I. Happy to report I have created a new ice fisherman out of her. Looking forward to our next adventure.

Who else gets their kids out on the ice? Be cool to see some pictures and hear some stories. 

This was up at Fish Lake in Washington. 25 fish limit per person and we got it done in about an hour and 45 minutes. Wind was awful this day and I learned a few things about kids and ice fishing. If you keep them comfortable they will hang out all day. Let them get cold or hungry and your day is done. Hope every kid that gets out on the ice catches a bunch and gets hooked like my little one did. 
Who knew iceholes could be so fun!

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kids on the ice.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2023, 04:28 PM »
We need a like button for posts like this!

Way to go, Dad! 
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2023, 04:31 PM »
Great photo..👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2023, 04:39 PM »
Nice job Dad!! 

Started taking my son ice fishing out on LOTW (Lake of the Woods) when he was about 10 yrs old and am now enjoying the benefits of that!  Always enjoying watching him catch fish and allowing him to do it his way!  He's 27 now. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2023, 05:02 PM »
Mine been going since they were both about 2
Then

Now

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2023, 06:31 PM »
Got my daughter out for the first time this past weekend. She had a blast and so did I. Happy to report I have created a new ice fisherman out of her. Looking forward to our next adventure.

Who else gets their kids out on the ice? Be cool to see some pictures and hear some stories. 

This was up at Fish Lake in Washington. 25 fish limit per person and we got it done in about an hour and 45 minutes. Wind was awful this day and I learned a few things about kids and ice fishing. If you keep them comfortable they will hang out all day. Let them get cold or hungry and your day is done. Hope every kid that gets out on the ice catches a bunch and gets hooked like my little one did.

What you are doing is good and you should keep with it.  I didn't get to go till I was 16 and not with my father because he was dead by then.  When I did get to go it was as the group mule, hole driller/chipper and check the ice to see if it's safe for us guy.  I did it different with my kids and just broke in a couple of friends this season who had never been.  My kids live far away now, and we don't get to go out often, but they got a good introduction.  My friends I mentioned go with me at least one day a week if not more.  I am 66 today and we kind of celebrated with a trip yesterday and they surprised me by buying me a $450 electric auger.   What I had was a bit overmatched for the amount of ice we found on a pond they really enjoy going to so they decided to up our game.  Teaching someone to fish is never a waste of time and the benifits last a lifetime.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2023, 07:05 PM »
Happy birthday jack

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2023, 06:10 AM »
My kids have been going with me almost since they were born, or before they were born really at times. Always a joy to see them pull a fish up, sinking feeling when they lose one and you see it on their face, or drop a pole down the hole. But they like it warm so usually have the camper or something for them to get in and stay warm and we usually just run tip ups since we can fish with 6 a person on most lakes around here. So we can hang and play games and such while waiting on the fish.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2023, 06:16 AM »
Always nice to see the kids on the ice, thanks for sharing....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2023, 06:29 AM »
Good job, looks like a great time. 
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2023, 08:18 AM »
My dad started me when i was 5 and my brother was 4. back then he spudded all our holes .My mom would come out to take us in, nope we were staying, lol im 53 now and still love it .like all you here.
we started my nephews when they were young too. they're in twenties now and still going. Great to see kids into outdoors not enough of that these days

Offline Mountain_Woman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2023, 09:30 AM »
My son, Cubby and I. Colorado.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2023, 11:41 AM »
Welcome aboard lady!!!  :icefish: :thumbsup: :clap: :bow: ;)2
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2023, 10:00 AM »
Thanks everyone. Now I just need to get my wife and oldest to go out with me. I made a mistake and took them to a crappy lake with less than ideal ice. We left after catching nothing and my wife not liking the ice noise. So, I have to get them back out on a more productive lake with good thick ice but getting them to agree has been a challenge. They both love fishing so i'm sure i'll get them.

Side note:
My oldest and I had a scary situation a few years back. We went into the river in my truck and barley got out before it sunk. Long story that needless to say made me the biggest emergency brake advocate in the world. Anyway, that is the reason she is a bit sketched out about the ice and falling through no matter how thick the ice is.   

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2023, 04:21 PM »
CoryTDF- we have had several unfortunate incidents where  kids left in vehicles and vehicles rolled into water. Some made it out after heroic efforts and some didn't make it.😞
On a happier note and back on topic...
My father started me fishing when I was four years old. It has become my passion and I try to get as many children (and their parents) "hooked" on the sport. Even this last weekend, I was fishing for bluegills and catching was good for me. I noticed a father with two young sons not catching anything. I invited them over to my holes and showed them my baits, techniques and how fish show up on Livescope. The father told me that the older of the two boys wasnt really into fishing that much, but his younger son did enjoy it. After a few hours with me the older son was loving it . After catching a few fish, I got him to hold a fish for the 1st time. He was very reluctant to touching and definitely against holding a fish. Next he was holding and unhooking fish and putting them into a bag I provided for them. We all had a good time sharing the sport together. People often tell me that I should be a guide, but I really enjoy teaching and sharing the sport I so dearly love. Those people that I have met and shared my passion with and now continue to fish and get their kids and others into the sport is payment enough!🎣

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2023, 10:53 AM »
CoryTDF- we have had several unfortunate incidents where  kids left in vehicles and vehicles rolled into water. Some made it out after heroic efforts and some didn't make it.😞
My father started me fishing when I was four years old. It has become my passion and I try to get as many children (and their parents) "hooked" on the sport. Even this last weekend, I was fishing for bluegills and catching was good for me. I noticed a father with two young sons not catching anything. I invited them over to my holes and showed them my baits, techniques and how fish show up on Livescope. The father told me that the older of the two boys wasnt really into fishing that much, but his younger son did enjoy it. After a few hours with me the older son was loving it . After catching a few fish, I got him to hold a fish for the 1st time. He was very reluctant to touching and definitely against holding a fish. Next he was holding and unhooking fish and putting them into a bag I provided for them. We all had a good time sharing the sport together. People often tell me that I should be a guide, but I really enjoy teaching and sharing the sport I so dearly love. Those people that I have met and shared my passion with and now continue to fish and get their kids and others into the sport is payment enough!🎣

Love this post!

I am not very good at being tight lipped about tackle or technique when talking with kids or with their parents. I just want the kids to have fun and learn to love fishing as much as I do and and did as a young boy. It really is just an amazingly positive pastime. When my daughter an I were leaving our spot the day of this photo we ran into a family with 4 small kids. The weather was awful and they did not have a shanty. After talking to the dad it was pretty apparent that he didn't know what he was doing. So, I hooked him up with some tungsten jigs and the remaining wax worms that we had. They didn't have electronics either so I went to all their holes and showed them how deep it was and that there were fish down there. I sure hope they caught some fish.

As for the truck thing... that was a mess. On a duck hunting trip I was launching my boat and had just pulled back up the launch and parked at the top. Threw my truck in park and ran back down to tie off the boat before parking. I heard a loud "pop" and when I looked back my truck came screaming past me and into the water. I ran down and got inside but it was past the point of driving it out. My daughter looked at me and said "Daddy I can't get out!" I grabbed her and pushed her out into the darkness and just said "baby you have to swim". By the time I got out there was about 3'' of air left in the truck. Now in 26 degree air and complete darkness I grabbed her back and was pushing her towards shore. I was wearing 5mm waders with 1600g boots and I was struggling to swim myself. I got her into water she could stand in and some other guys had shown up just in time to get her into their truck and warm her up. I feel so blessed that she was ok. I always keep my dogs in a crate and for some reason, completely out of the normal for me, I had let them out to run around the launch that day. Had they been in the crate they would have drown for sure. For as bad as it was, everything turned out as good as it could have. Trucks can be replaced, lives can't. The diver that came to recover my truck told me the last time he had to do this a little girl was behind the truck and she had a life jacket on. When the truck pulled her in she got wedged in the wheel well and the dad could not find her. She drown right there just a few feet away from her father. The diver got a little choked up and I did as well. Anyway, that is why my oldest is a bit sketched out about the ice and I can't blame her. 

USE YOUR E BRAKE!           

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2023, 11:51 AM »

That's cool, a few years back we did the same on a hot perch bite, invited a guy and his kids to join us and gave them quite a few jigs, even gave them my rod to use for awhile.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2023, 09:57 PM »
I have two boys that I have taken ice fishing since an early age.  My oldest absolutely despises it and hasn’t been once in 10 years.  My younger boy loves it!  He has been going since he was three.  He is in his teens now.  But when he was younger, I made sure to make it fun.  I brought plenty of snacks and let him bring a couple of toys (just limit toys to one or two.) Take them someplace where they will most likely catch fish.  Catching bluegill is more fun than waiting all day for a big walleye or pike.  And, most important, when they say they want to go home, it’s time to go.  Otherwise they may not want to go again if you keep saying “hang on, just wait, I just need one big pike.”  Keep it fun and they just may be hooked on ice fishing forever.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.