Author Topic: Clam gearbox conversion.  (Read 902 times)

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam gearbox conversion.
« on: Feb 19, 2023, 01:17 PM »
Has anyone tried converting a 2023 Clam Gearbox to the first-generation Clam plate ? Looks to me like enlarging the opening for the bearing and drilling new mounting holes and maybe raising the drill mounting vise.  Anyone tried it or have ideas. I can get a new gearbox for good price and its got me thinking.
Oops! is too late.

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam gearbox conversion.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2023, 04:04 PM »
Buy an auger that's made to cut ice gas or electric !

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2023, 12:37 AM »
I have added a regular/box to a gen one Clam Plate ..just centered it and drilled four holes . You will have to raise the drill stand  ...I used a piece of 1" aluminum square stock.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2023, 06:02 AM »
Thanks Hardwater. That was my plan. I have used the 1st generation clam plate since it came out. I use a Milwaukee M18 and 8 inch Nils and 6 inch Mora with quick connects to switch back and forth. Long story short the M18 is getting old and so am I. Let you know how it works out.
Oops! is too late.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2023, 11:12 AM »
This video gives a rough idea ...the gear box is discontinued after a debacle with the components ...but the idea is the same .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2023, 06:25 AM »
I converted to the gear box, and everything went pretty much as you said. Had to adjust the trigger assembly a little but no problems. Tested yesterday on Lake Vermilion. 30 + inches ice. Worked OK.
 Thank you Hardwater for the info.
Oops! is too late.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.