Author Topic: The legend of the pink flamingo  (Read 12191 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The legend of the pink flamingo
« on: Feb 18, 2023, 09:44 AM »
This majestic fishing machine that hibernate by summer and fishes in the winter was said to be a product of the lakes of New Hampshire,  others have said it began in Maine, another contingency claim Saginaw bay as its birthplace,  but in the flat lands of Massachusetts,  there a fin - atickle( see what I did there) striper fisherman that claimes the first one was hatched in his wood pile..stay tuned for updates as the investigation continues on the birth and origin  of THE PINK FLAMING.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The legend of the pink flamingo
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2023, 09:50 AM »
A rare and dangerous beast indeed... Stay safe my friend, watch your back...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2023, 09:51 AM »
Looking forward to the growth and development on this "fishing machine"....

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2023, 11:10 AM »
BREAKING NEWS

Possible   remains of the ELUSIVE. PINK FLAMINGO

While cleaning debris off a workbenches what looks like the remains of this fish master may have been found, it appears  to have become deceased while trying to eat a large  rainbow  trout,

More details as I investigate further.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2023, 01:26 PM »
Tease me some more Joe!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2023, 04:38 PM »
Necropsy  complete,  here are my findings: the neck of the beast is 30" long,,1" wide, 3/4:" thick along the front, there is a 1/4 x 20  x 1" threaded insert 2" from the bottom that is epoxied in place, presumably to prohibit water intrusion, while adding a secure anchor for the fish catching end.
4" above that, there is a 18" long vein, that houses the "eye" trigger of the beast.
On the back of the neck, 2 1/2" from the bottom is a 10-32  insert, presumably to house a lure holding devise to let the beast utilize a bigger meal., on the side of the neck 9 " OC there is another threaded  insert epoxied in place, it appears  to. Be 10-32.
Along the back of the neck, 2" from the top there is a spine support for the "eyes"
The right leg is 23" x 1" wide by 1/2" thick,it has a pair of stabilizers "feet" presumably to keep the big BIRD steady,there is a 3/16 horizontal hole 13 1/2" OC and a vertical hole at 12 1/8" OC all from the left side..
The left leg is 21 7/8 x1"wide x1/2" thick ,there is a veryicle hole 12 /7/8" OC, i was able  to assemble the beast and now have assembly the "skeleton," so it can be preserved with 3 coats of marine spar varnished..It looks like it houses a 4" fish catcher..stay tuned as I search for the likes of "living" Flamingo..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2023, 05:08 PM »
Nice engineering and quality work! Very impressive. I'd like to apply for the Sales Rep job for your product when it comes available to the general public. I am well qualified.

Yes. Those are my feet, my socks and I am wearing them with sandals. Any other questions?  ;)2 I am obviously from the "Midwest"...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2023, 05:16 PM »
Nice engineering and quality work! Very impressive. I'd like to apply for the Sales Rep job for your product when it comes available to the general public. I am well qualified.

Yes. Those are my feet, my socks and I am wearing them with sandals. Any other questions?  ;)2 I am obviously from the "Midwest"...
Nice socks! I dont judge, youn
 are obviously qualified! Application  noted.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2023, 07:31 PM »
Looks great.  Can't wait to see the final product. 
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2023, 07:18 AM »
I haven't seen the tu-tu yet?
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2023, 07:46 AM »
I haven't seen the tu-tu yet?

Don't own one  ;)2 Socks are a remnant of my working days. Pretty rigid dress code. So much so you could practically tell the pay grade by the required dress. I wasn't quite to the suit n tie club but had to hang out with those folks way too much. Socks were a way to push back a little, especially against those that took themselves too seriously. Had a whole drawer to pick from. Those flamingoes were one of my favorites along with the hula girls and multi-colored polka dots.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2023, 08:06 AM »
Don't own one  ;)2 Socks are a remnant of my working days. Pretty rigid dress code. So much so you could practically tell the pay grade by the required dress. I wasn't quite to the suit n tie club but had to hang out with those folks way too much. Socks were a way to push back a little, especially against those that took themselves too seriously. Had a whole drawer to pick from. Those flamingoes were one of my favorites along with the hula girls and multi-colored polka dots.

Haha, you gotta take the wins even if they're small...

The tu-tu is a stipulation of using the trap Joe is building... The lucky recipient of said trap may or may not know that yet lol...

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2023, 09:29 AM »

The tu-tu is a stipulation of using the trap Joe is building... The lucky recipient of said trap may or may not know that yet lol...

Pink or Camo?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2023, 07:06 PM »
Spool is prepared, I they are  made by JT tackle, made of plastic burnt will take alot of abuse,I remove the factory trigger trip and make my own by epoxying a  trigger trip wire I make to accommodate my triggers. it is 4"  in diameter  and holds 1500' of 36lb line, I use 1200 ' of 36lb nylon as backing and 300' of 36lb dacron, the line is wet packed so it is tight on the Spool and cannot bury itself..along  the rim, a use 1/2 x 1/8 foam self adhesive  insulation as hook keeper.,it doesnt swell or retain water like cork
The spool size makes a big difference  in the performance  of the spool, not only does it trip easily, it turns very smoothly but does not over run...and notbyo mention, every revolution  brings up alot of line

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2023, 07:36 PM »

Thanks Joe... nice to see the progression and the techniques are reasons behind them you use.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2023, 07:52 PM »
Thanks Joe... nice to see the progression and the techniques are reasons behind them you use.

Your welcome, and that is the purpose of this thread,  yes, I'm having  some fun, trying  to create some interest, but the end game is to help those that might be interested in tinkering with their own gear, to give some insight  on what and why I do what I do, success favors the prepared.. if nothing  else, I'm always prepared, and some times, I'm successful.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2023, 07:54 PM »
X2, in the thanks for the thread. I especially love the breakdown in the mental process for the what, how, and why

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:32 AM »
it has a pair of stabilizers "feet" presumably to keep the big BIRD steady

nice design!  i'd expect nothing less from you.  i like those mini feet stabilizers, too.

but i thought for sure it would have a big pink flag for the pink flamingo namesake.  at least that way, nobody would question if it was their trap or not??   :tipup:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:36 AM »
nice design!  i'd expect nothing less from you.  i like those mini feet stabilizers, too.

but i thought for sure it would have a big pink flag for the pink flamingo namesake.  at least that way, nobody would question if it was their trap or not??   :tipup:

THIS AINT OVER , stay tuned much more to come.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:48 AM »

I've seen more than is posted here... Trust me, there will be no mistaking where this bird lands lol...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:51 AM »
I don't fish this style of trap but I sure am enjoying the aesthetics! Your shop reminds me of my own: benches over sprayed, dripped on, sawed/drilled into, burned and the other projects, which are always in play, pushed back just far enough to have room to work on the current one. Sure, there's fits of neatness but that would mean I'm not doing anything.

Yes, enjoying this very much indeed!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2023, 08:40 AM »
I don't fish this style of trap but I sure am enjoying the aesthetics! Your shop reminds me of my own: benches over sprayed, dripped on, sawed/drilled into, burned and the other projects, which are always in play, pushed back just far enough to have room to work on the current one. Sure, there's fits of neatness but that would mean I'm not doing anything.

Yes, enjoying this very much indeed!

everyone has a preferance, sometimes its regional, it doesn't mean one is better than the other, i never understood why people fight over stuff like that and get "butt hurt" because someone doesn't like what someone else uses, it's silly, it's a preference, and it works and is comfortable for that individual, and it should be discussed, then people can make their own choice..

You described my shop to a Tee... sometimes it's as neat as A PIN, otheres it's down right blown up ( right now it's nuclear).. and tucked away in amongst the carnage is a micro-brewery that cranks out Lagers, stouts and Ipa's.. it part of the reason I only sleep 5 hours a night.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2023, 08:53 AM »
Well done Joe another great DIY thread and great trap design, I'm sure the elusive pink flamingo would approve if his beak wasn't taped shut standing on one leg.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2023, 09:03 AM »
everyone has a preferance, sometimes its regional, it doesn't mean one is better than the other, i never understood why people fight over stuff like that and get "butt hurt" because someone doesn't like what someone else uses, it's silly, it's a preference, and it works and is comfortable for that individual, and it should be discussed, then people can make their own choice..

You described my shop to a Tee... sometimes it's as neat as A PIN, otheres it's down right blown up ( right now it's nuclear).. and tucked away in amongst the carnage is a micro-brewery that cranks out Lagers, stouts and Ipa's.. it part of the reason I only sleep 5 hours a night.

The coffee brew was the best yet, I could drink that all day... I'd be hurting but I'd do it lol. Don't even chill it, I liked it better warm.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2023, 10:26 AM »

Ain't that the truth. Funny part is in the "way back machine" all the traps/tipups here in the Midwest were stick types. Certainly pretty crude affairs. I've still got my Dads and great uncles in a bucket somewhere. Then some fella in Beaver Dam had an idea and the rails were born. Some would say they evolved whilst others would maintain "de-volved".

I only went ice fishing once as a child/young man. Dad took me at three yo and told me to watch for holes. Of course I stepped into a good size one just as he was setting up. Got wet to the waist and the day was over before it even started. Not long after we moved far from ice opportunities and I never had another chance until I was in my early 20's. Of course it was Wisconsin, scarcely 40 minutes from Beaver Dam 'cept cheap smack me bought into the cheaper but similar HT Polars. That's my excuse. I do own 3 pretty nice sticks that I'll call hybrids. HT makes an Arctic Bay that has the running gear of their Polars on sticks. I've got 'em for deep snow and a popped flag stands 3 feet above the hole.

Thanks for sharing this as I am an appreciator of both ingenuity and craftsmanship.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2023, 11:56 AM »
Ain't that the truth. Funny part is in the "way back machine" all the traps/tipups here in the Midwest were stick types. Certainly pretty crude affairs. I've still got my Dads and great uncles in a bucket somewhere. Then some fella in Beaver Dam had an idea and the rails were born. Some would say they evolved whilst others would maintain "de-volved".

I only went ice fishing once as a child/young man. Dad took me at three yo and told me not to watch for holes. Of course I stepped into a good size one just as he was setting up. Got wet to the waist and the day was over before it even started. Not long after we moved far from ice opportunities and I never had another chance until I was in my early 20's. Of course it was Wisconsin, scarcely 40 minutes from Beaver Dam 'cept cheap smack me bought into the cheaper but similar HT Polars. That's my excuse. I do own 3 pretty nice sticks that I'll call hybrids. HT makes an Arctic Bay that has the running gear of their Polars on sticks. I've got 'em for deep snow and a popped flag stands 3 feet above the hole.

Thanks for sharing this as I am an appreciator of both ingenuity and craftsmanship.

good stuff right there...  my road to the ice started 60 years ago, I've  ice fished every year, less the 4 I gave Uncle Sam. around 1980, I began modifying commercial traps, I had "issues" with all the designs, and I tried every one available, some didn't sit flat, some had wobble spools that came loose and fell off, some were prone to wind flags, some were just uncomfortable for me to get used too, some were too low to the ice and hard to see IMHO, 10 years ago, I took what i felt was the best design from all the comercial traps, through it all, the spools and how they were attached have been my major "fetish"' I'm finally happy with my design  and rework on how they work, it was the hardest part of it all, I've  fabricated my own ( traps) with the design changes that suit me, every few years, i clean out my inventory and donate to the boy scouts or local fishing club and start over, the basic design is the same, now adays I fabricate everything by hand but the spool and the flag, the spools are cheap and I use 3 different sizes on 3 different sized traps.. I've tried a bunch of flag/spring  material, some were too stiff, and made the trigger stiff and launched the trap, often making finicky fish  drop the bait, some rusted easily and lost spring tension, good stainless spring steel in flat stock is hard to find, enter Jack traps, I love their flags/spring stainless, that give a nice soft release, but stand tall  so I buy their flags...it's the only thing  i don't buy in bulk. the best part, is, this is strictly a hobby, if it were a business, it would no longer be fun.

Tonight, I'll reassemble the trap and document as i go.. more to follow.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2023, 02:11 PM »
The coffee brew was the best yet, I could drink that all day... I'd be hurting but I'd do it lol. Don't even chill it, I liked it better warm.
agreed I had one of his brews first ice trip, very tasty and the custom labels were an added bonus, definitely crafty at everything he does.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2023, 04:40 PM »
Another great build joe!
Look forward to seeing the finished product in action ..( Maybe by "the" flamingo himself  ;)
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2023, 04:59 PM »
Nice build  👍
Curious what brand of grease you prefer for trigger tube?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:38 PM »
OK, starting at the beginning, the wood is furniture grade ash, once I've cut the parts and assembled  the trap  and am done drilling  holes, I strip it down  and brush a 60/40,mixture of BLO ( boiled linseed oil)and mineral spirits over the entire trap,  using a tooth pick or small dowel to coat all the penetrations, I let that sit for 15 minutes  and  then wipe off the excess,  shallow 48 hours of dry time before applying  3 coats of spar polyurethane ..lightly sanding  between coats..,all inserts are epoxied in place at this time. the uprights get 3. Coats of paint.
.once dry, the bottom below the cross bars gets a coat of Flex Seal,for years, I wrapped  the lower half with electrical tape, the black absorbs UV Ray's and keeps ice from building  on  the upright. It also adds a degree of repairable protection to the hardest working part of the trap.
I make a boot for the bottom of the trap to protect the bottom and glue it with weather stripping cement, to keep it from getting  beat up.
As shown, the spool shaft has a threaded insert, a 1/4 x20 x 4" bolt is threaded in place,then a washer and spacer installed, the assembly  is anchored with a locking nut,so your drpth adjustment is never lost,, the spool  then is installed and retained with a self locking wing nut, constructed  like this, it allows for me to carry a spare spool,and change quickly, if a 9" slime dart runs 100' and  its 9 degrees with a 20 knot wind. I don't  have to deal with the mess..
The bait clip is a 316 stainless platers clip. It is screwed into a 10-32 insert..it can be easily removed without fear of water intrusion.
Also pictured is the flag rest, it is simply a small piece of copper tube flattened to accommodate the spring..as a side note, any wood screw below the water line gets a dab of marine sealant.

The trigger tube is retained by 3/16  brass conduit clips.. the trigger tube  is 3/16;thick wall tubing, mid way I drill a 1/8" hole for greasing, I find that using a counter sink tool to make a slight flare aids in mating the gun to the tube ,  I use a Dulac grease gun filled with Shell Gadus S3v220 C grease, its the same grease used in Jack traps.
The top spring retainer.  is 1/4 " aluminum,  drilled to accept a 10-32 thumb screw, this sits on a pair of Ash rails.i primarily  fo this because I hate staples  and this is just a step up...
So this is where we are at, I have some special  embellishments arriving Thursay, once installed, the bird takes  flight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.