Author Topic: Snowdog!  (Read 5308 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowdog!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2023, 10:03 AM »
As I have said, every state has their own interpretation of what is and what is not a registerable recreational vehicle. There is so much "Grey Area" concerning the snowdog track machines so until your state makes some definitive ruling on them I guess you just go with the flow. I asked at my local DMV when I first got my snowdog and they laughed at me, never heard of such a machine was what the DMV guy said.
I also spoke with my local Encon officer and all he could tell me is he would not be bothered about it as long as I was not being a jerk on it. The DMV had no way of registering the machine because it was not classified in any of their rules and regulations. Again, this could all change in a flash. My ATV insurance company has no way of insuring the machine unless it does get some sort of DMV classification for them to go by. Apparently Utah has made such a classification while many other states have not. It is covered by my homeowners insurance but only while on my property.
On a local lake here there is a guy who lives on the lake who drives his lawn tractor with a front mounted snowblower onto the ice to clear a path where he sets up his tip ups. He has never been approached by the DEC guys for doing anything wrong and I have seen him blow the snow while towing out his pop up when he has friends fishing with him. Some years back that lake association made a rule restricting cars and trucks from going on the ice but they never said anything about his lawn tractor or ATVs and snowmobiles.
My best advice is to just follow any rules your state makes just so you are legal. So far here in NY where I run my snowdog there has not been any such rules that I know of other than rules prohibiting them on approved snowmobile trails except when used with towed behind groomers. Anything I say here has nothing to do with what goes on in states other than mine. VIN stands for vehicle ID number and HIN stands for Hull ID number while SN stands for Serial Number. Funny how this works because my enclosed cargo trailer that I tow with my snowdog inside of has a VIN and so does my open utility trailer have a VIN but my snowdog has just a SN.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2023, 10:09 AM »
Considering that snowdogs top out around 20mph on open ice it might cause some traffic or accidents when combined with packs of snowmobiles going 40-60 mph on the trails.   YMMV.

YUP, same as a snowmobile just putting along at 15 MPH enjoying the scenery I guess. I don't think the dog machines should be allowed on approved snowmobile trails but I have no issue at all with them being on a frozen lake towing gear.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:12 PM »
Almost done with my tracksled.has a ton of torque and moves plenty fast.im just waiting on a kill switch and throttle cable.tested it out with some tip up line for a throttle cable.lol i present the snow skank..

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:04 AM »
Looks good Dr. Did you lock your suspension down? They work and handle better with it locked. Nice build. Be sure to smile and wave as you blow past the walkers and they cuss you out.   ;D
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:18 AM »
Looks good Dr. Did you lock your suspension down? They work and handle better with it locked. Nice build. Be sure to smile and wave as you blow past the walkers and they cuss you out.   ;D

Excellent point Krisp. I too noticed the front end being sloped downward and immediately thought this could be an issue. My Snowdog sits level but in deep snow I get a faceful if I travel too fast. I often thought it would be good if the front end was sloped higher or if I could fashion some sort of a deflector in the front. I think on a snowmobile the skis keep the front end up so by removing them DR S might find he wants to make some changes.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:21 AM »
So far the suspension is really weak and the bar stop lets me shove it all the way down with the handlebars to lift the front up when on the throttle.time will tell if i lock it out or not.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:05 AM »
Mine has a high, middle and low position for the bars to be set at. I suppose this is to accommodate taller and shorter drivers. Once you get to riding it you will find that pushing down gets tiring real fast.
Are you planning to do some sort of covering, sheet metal or canvas when you get the rest all figured out? You will absolutely want the gears and engine covered and protected. Your plan on waiting until you get a kill switch incorporated is a great idea. I have heard of the throttle sticking on the snowdogs and that could be a real disaster. At first I did not wrap the kill around my wrist as the instructions state but I learned real fast the first time I laid it over and got tossed out of the sled out in the field by my yard. The throttle return worked as designed but the machine kept running while on it's side with the track not spinning. Be sure whatever you do when/if you plan a cover to leave grab spots for getting it back up if you do tip it. I added handles to my snowdog at the front just for this reason.

Offline Harv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:11 AM »
Has anyone seen any used snowdogs for sale?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:17 AM »
Has anyone seen any used snowdogs for sale?

None that I have seen around here and if I ever decide to sell mine I have 2 buddies who have already called dibbs on it. The dealer where I bought mine did have a trade in one because the guy wanted the model with factory reverse instead. It sold quickly.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm new but I'm awesome! Also, humble.....
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:21 AM »
Okay, ya'll have me wanting to try to make one of these bad boys. Any idea on plans or a link to a good video. I'm pretty handy but still need some instruction as I lack this vision to just wing it.
Who knew iceholes could be so fun!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:25 AM »
Okay, ya'll have me wanting to try to make one of these bad boys. Any idea on plans or a link to a good video. I'm pretty handy but still need some instruction as I lack this vision to just wing it.

There was a fellow here a year or 2 ago who was making these and had some plans posted. If you can do some searching I am sure you could locate those discussions. Maybe try Homemade snowdogs in the search.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2023, 11:27 AM »
There was a fellow here a year or 2 ago who was making these and had some plans posted. If you can do some searching I am sure you could locate those discussions. Maybe try Homemade snowdogs in the search.

Rad! Thank you.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:20 PM »
track sleds of the north on Facebook is very informative..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #43 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:23 PM »
Mine has a high, middle and low position for the bars to be set at. I suppose this is to accommodate taller and shorter drivers. Once you get to riding it you will find that pushing down gets tiring real fast.
Are you planning to do some sort of covering, sheet metal or canvas when you get the rest all figured out? You will absolutely want the gears and engine covered and protected. Your plan on waiting until you get a kill switch incorporated is a great idea. I have heard of the throttle sticking on the snowdogs and that could be a real disaster. At first I did not wrap the kill around my wrist as the instructions state but I learned real fast the first time I laid it over and got tossed out of the sled out in the field by my yard. The throttle return worked as designed but the machine kept running while on it's side with the track not spinning. Be sure whatever you do when/if you plan a cover to leave grab spots for getting it back up if you do tip it. I added handles to my snowdog at the front just for this reason.
my bar assembly slides back too in case i want to sit.i will eventually put a cover on at some point.with a good welder friend we had it whipped out in a day and a half.i also left the hole up front where the steering shaft was for a pull point if need be.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:29 PM »

YUP! I am pretty useless on the computers and don't do FB. It seems to me that a PM to member raquettedaker could get you a ton of home built info. Most of the members here are super helpful with stuff like this.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:49 PM »
my bar assembly slides back too in case i want to sit.i will eventually put a cover on at some point.with a good welder friend we had it whipped out in a day and a half.i also left the hole up front where the steering shaft was for a pull point if need be.

I cursed out Snowdog the day I laid mine on it's side. The cover encloses all the framework so there was no place to grab and lift it from. Once I got it back home I had a couple of heavy duty handles from an old boat and I attached them at the front just so I had a good grab point. I can sit in my sled while I am on flat ice and pulling a load but not when I am on any uneven surfaces like out in the field or woods. Steering gets squirrely from the seated position unless you are just going in a straight line to a fishing spot. My favorite lake is about a mile or more across and if I was pulling my gear with leg power I only ever went a short distance from the entrance point. With the dog doing the work I can go all over the lake and move at will if I can't find the fish. I have a JD Gator and a Honda Pioneer 700-4 that can do the job but the snowdog is just so easy to take and fits great in my trailer with all my other gear.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:51 PM »

Sweet! Thank you.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2023, 03:44 PM »
My new tracsled build. Only 4.5 feet long and when I put the engine on it it won’t weight much. 

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 18, 2023, 06:01 PM »
I'm working on one too!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #49 on: Mar 18, 2023, 06:19 PM »
I'm working on one too!

lol i think i was just chatting with you on fb?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #50 on: Mar 19, 2023, 06:34 AM »
This is my first one.  This is a tank and will pull 3 sleds, two old fat guys and all our gear…. @)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Mar 19, 2023, 06:37 AM »

Really nice Dom

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 19, 2023, 07:49 AM »
My new tracsled build. Only 4.5 feet long and when I put the engine on it it won’t weight much. 

Which make sled tunnel are you using?
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Mar 19, 2023, 08:04 AM »
The small one is an Articcat all aluminum with bogey wheels and everything was cut and shortened even the track.The blue one is a Polaris with sliders. But I’m only going 12 mph so no problem..

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 19, 2023, 12:30 PM »
Looks cool bud!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.