New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont Feb 3-5  (Read 7132 times)

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chaumont Feb 3-5
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:22 AM »
 main gut of bay opened up with the wind we had the past few days  sry guys it sucks  :-\ :'(
lets rip some lips its time to fish

Offline paleofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:36 AM »
Can anyone chime in on this weekends report???  (  I check the Chaumont hardware Facebook page multiple times a day, but I’m just looking for some info from guys that went out.  I will make some calls Wednesday/Thursday as others have mentioned for current conditions. )

Any walleye action?  Any machines out?

Looks like it’s going to be coooooold coming so hopefully she locks up enough for the UTV by this weekend!

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2023, 12:26 PM »
There's still 6-8" closer to shore middle still open/chunks of ice.  Some sleds being used from guides etc but guys i knew walked.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline paleofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2023, 01:03 PM »
There's still 6-8" closer to shore middle still open/chunks of ice.  Some sleds being used from guides etc but guys i knew walked.

Are you able to walk a few hundred yards and catch walleye?  If you (or anyone) could possibly shoot me a DM for reasonable walking access areas where we’d have a shot and some walleye…it’d be greatly appreciated.  We got a couple older fellas coming that can’t walk more than 1/3 - 1/2 mile at the very most. (One guy has a pretty bum knee and can’t walk well at all). 

I’ve also been scouring OnX maps and found a couple spots that “look” like you can walk on (no privately owned shoreline).  Just not sure about parking on the street etc. 

Offline davecz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2023, 01:49 PM »
Ill be watching this thread closely.  We are coming out 2/5-2/8 and hoping I could bring my side by side (yamaha rmax with cab) .  If not will have to suffer with quad outdoors

Offline paleofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:08 PM »
Ill be watching this thread closely.  We are coming out 2/5-2/8 and hoping I could bring my side by side (yamaha rmax with cab) .  If not will have to suffer with quad outdoors

We’re in the same boat, friend.  I think it’s going to be a last minute decision whether I bring my Honda pioneer or my quad.  As of now it’s looking like the quad is going.  Maybe things will change by Friday. 

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2023, 06:35 PM »
We’re in the same boat, friend.  I think it’s going to be a last minute decision whether I bring my Honda pioneer or my quad.  As of now it’s looking like the quad is going.  Maybe things will change by Friday.

Things r gonna change alright 20 below Friday night and zero for a high on Saturday….. finally getting some cold …
Budweiser pro staff

Offline myurkovicjr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON !
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2023, 10:54 AM »
I'm looking for suggestions/feedback on fishing Chaumont. I've fished it in the past, but its been a long time, and I didn't do so good the last time. Outside of of being setup before before sunrise and starting in 20FOW what would help stack the deck in my favor?

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2023, 12:00 PM »
Do one guided trip, ask questions, and then you will have confidence for the rest of the times you go there. I am heading up there right now.  I would recommend talking with Chaumont Masters.  Louis has been very successful in getting clients on big fish over the years.  He can give you insight and you can patronize a site sponsor.

Not the only way, just my advice.  Its a very large and potentially dangerous body of water.

Offline myurkovicjr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON !
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2023, 02:36 PM »
Do one guided trip, ask questions, and then you will have confidence for the rest of the times you go there. I am heading up there right now.  I would recommend talking with Chaumont Masters.  Louis has been very successful in getting clients on big fish over the years.  He can give you insight and you can patronize a site sponsor.

Not the only way, just my advice.  Its a very large and potentially dangerous body of water.
Thanks for the feedback!
I'm already planning a guided trip for next season. Just couldn't make it happen this year so I'm going to give it a shot by myself.  But like you said, its a large body of water... 

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2023, 02:44 PM »
I spent about 15 days fishing the bay this season. C&R’d some beautiful fish. The entire area has good fishing. Just always use caution. Ice conditions there change daily. A spud bar is your best friend.
Good luck and enjoy

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2023, 07:08 AM »
Any update on what the surface is like? Slush, glare, crust etc etc. thanks in advance

Offline paleofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2023, 01:34 PM »
Here’s a little summary of our trip.  This was our first time fishing Chaumont, so we were there figuring it out.

We stayed at a place very close to the guffin bay marina access.  It ended up being that guffin bay was the only place we fished.  I ended up bringing my quad, but it didn’t like the sub zero temperatures we had Friday night/Saturday morning.  So we ended up walking out from guffins.  It’s not a terrible walk.  We walked about 1/2 mile out to get in 24fow.  You could walk less.  You could also run a machine out from there and go further.   Now I’m not experienced at all with this fishery, but I’m not sure if you were to get in 20+fow if one spot would be much better than another spot in this bay.  It’s a large bay with a max depth of about 30 feet and not much for structure or contours.  I caught a 6 pound walleye Saturday night, and that was the only walleye that we pulled through the ice.  Me and my buddy each had a heavy fish on that popped off after a couple cranks.   We marked perch constantly.  And did end up catching a few right around the 12 inch mark…. But, we were targeting walleye - using w7 or w9 jigging raps (and the shadow rap).  We only marked a handful of decent size fish the whole weekend.  There were guys getting nice walleye here and there, but I wouldn’t call it a great walleye bite by any means.  I got the impression a lot of people are there perch fishing, and if you were to sit there all day with a little jig and waxie or minnow, you could probably fill a bucket with nice perch. 

We took a ride around Saturday to check the area out.  Lots of people at long point state park.  Lots of machines. Lots of parking.  There were a bunch of people walking too …. Not everyone had a machine.  Talked to a few guys and it seemed like the fishing was so-so.  Picking up the occasional walleye.  Also talked to a guy that got a big pike. Also heard of few lakers getting caught. 

Also quite a few people at the Chaumont public launch.  This seemed to be a machine heavy access area.  Lots of sleds and quads.  Not sure on the bite. 

The center of the bay was still bad ice when we were there…. And that seemed like where everyone wanted to be.  But Mother Nature is giving us a curveball this year.  Hopefully the next time we go the ice will be better and can get access to the whole bay.  We were cutting about a foot of clear ice Sunday at guffins.  This was last weekend!!!

Our trip was a little disappointing that we didn’t land more walleye, but we learned quite a bit and hopefully next time we go we’ll have better luck. 

Tight lines

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2023, 02:02 PM »
Here’s a little summary of our trip.  This was our first time fishing Chaumont, so we were there figuring it out.

We stayed at a place very close to the guffin bay marina access.  It ended up being that guffin bay was the only place we fished.  I ended up bringing my quad, but it didn’t like the sub zero temperatures we had Friday night/Saturday morning.  So we ended up walking out from guffins.  It’s not a terrible walk.  We walked about 1/2 mile out to get in 24fow.  You could walk less.  You could also run a machine out from there and go further.   Now I’m not experienced at all with this fishery, but I’m not sure if you were to get in 20+fow if one spot would be much better than another spot in this bay.  It’s a large bay with a max depth of about 30 feet and not much for structure or contours.  I caught a 6 pound walleye Saturday night, and that was the only walleye that we pulled through the ice.  Me and my buddy each had a heavy fish on that popped off after a couple cranks.   We marked perch constantly.  And did end up catching a few right around the 12 inch mark…. But, we were targeting walleye - using w7 or w9 jigging raps (and the shadow rap).  We only marked a handful of decent size fish the whole weekend.  There were guys getting nice walleye here and there, but I wouldn’t call it a great walleye bite by any means.  I got the impression a lot of people are there perch fishing, and if you were to sit there all day with a little jig and waxie or minnow, you could probably fill a bucket with nice perch. 

We took a ride around Saturday to check the area out.  Lots of people at long point state park.  Lots of machines. Lots of parking.  There were a bunch of people walking too …. Not everyone had a machine.  Talked to a few guys and it seemed like the fishing was so-so.  Picking up the occasional walleye.  Also talked to a guy that got a big pike. Also heard of few lakers getting caught. 

Also quite a few people at the Chaumont public launch.  This seemed to be a machine heavy access area.  Lots of sleds and quads.  Not sure on the bite. 

The center of the bay was still bad ice when we were there…. And that seemed like where everyone wanted to be.  But Mother Nature is giving us a curveball this year.  Hopefully the next time we go the ice will be better and can get access to the whole bay.  We were cutting about a foot of clear ice Sunday at guffins.  This was last weekend!!!

Our trip was a little disappointing that we didn’t land more walleye, but we learned quite a bit and hopefully next time we go we’ll have better luck. 

Tight lines
Thanks for the good report that’s how the bay is walleye is usually fishing for 1-2 fish the right fish

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2023, 03:21 PM »
Paleofish thank you for the conditions update and trip summery. I would honestly call that a pritty good trip over all. A 6# walleye on your first night in the bay is somthing to brag about. I have talked to guys who fished 3-4 times before ever landing an eye out of there. Iv been twice and haven’t yet but have gotten into some nice perch which isn’t uncommon there. I’m sure there are guys that can consistently get into good eyes in numbers but I was always under the impression that it was a quality over quantity kinda place. Me and a buddy are heading up to stay at Louis’ place “unguided” last weekend of this month so we’re hoping the ice holds up the next 2 weeks… and if we can get into some fish better yet. Just nice to get away for a weekend with a friend and only worry about  :icefish:🍺💨 I would be happy with a 6# eye and couple dozen fatty perch  @)

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2023, 07:16 PM »
I was going to reiterate the other comments. One or two walleyes a trip is pretty darn good up there. Occasionally can get into more but definitely not common. All those pictures certain pages post every weekend on Facebook are 5 walleyes amongst the 500 shacks on the bay.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2023, 10:20 PM »
Yes sir good job on connecting!! I been fishing fri/sat/sun and between 3 of us I pulled a shadow rap out f a nice walleyes mouth the first day and we got no more good opportunities. Water was dirty from the rain last week and visibility was only about 8’ most of the trip. This is a trophy fishery. Unless you want perch, walleye won’t be caught in high numbers unless you are very fortunate. First trip with the new livescope unit and also had a big pike bite off a shadow rap the second day but the lure was gone when I set the hook. Musta been an impressive specimen and can’t say I was too mad about that. The walleye I missed was another story. Pay attention at this fishery. You don’t get many chances but the fish are dinosaurs.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2023, 04:51 AM »
I spent about 15 days fishing the bay this season. C&R’d some beautiful fish. The entire area has good fishing. Just always use caution. Ice conditions there change daily. A spud bar is your best friend.
Good luck and enjoy

Well done HW2 you had some great catching sorry I didn’t get to meet up with you
   Guys some of  the walleye fishing areas weren’t safe as of late do to  poor ice conditions and wind can also be a major factor ,
      some of these fish are very old , although a pic of some of these brutes weigh a # lol , be safe in your quest for a trophy ,

Offline myurkovicjr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON !
« Reply #48 on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:45 AM »
Does anyone have current ice conditions?

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:55 AM »
Majority of the bay got blown out this weekend. all of johnsons, herricks, and duck bay were open water Saturday. By Sunday i think the open water had made it up to independence point. The public launch is shot because of river runoff.

People fished Guffins both weekend days but the edges were shot and they were accessing by plank at the launch.

People were fishing at long point but the ice has been breaking off between Long and 3 Mile point. Guys were really pushing their luck out there. A lot of current and drain holes make access there problematic if not impossible at this point.

The majority of 3 mile bay is still ice, but the edges are loose and the ice appears to be rotting fast.  This cold snap may prolong fishing in 3MB, but the only access is private. The public launch is also shot because of creek runoff.

Offline Radneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 02, 2023, 08:52 PM »
Fished off long point today.  First spot was 18 FOW. Ice was 6 inches. No action. Moved out to 23 FOW.   Caught some small perch biggest was 9 inches.  Bite was slow Ice was just about 4 inches.  Slushy    Stayed to the left of the point.    SPUD SPUD SPUD.  I ventured to the right just a bit and spud went through with one hit.  BE CAREFUL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.