The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Amazon carb kits  (Read 1752 times)

Offline big brother

• IceShanty Rookie
Amazon carb kits
« on: Nov 16, 2022, 02:15 PM »
Opinons  needed on a Amazon carb kit for an older Jiffy 30. Are they any good. Roughly $25 to order and seems like a simple job to install

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Amazon carb kits
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2022, 02:35 PM »
Depends on where they come from and who makes 'em. Don't get a chinee junk one off Amazon. Lotsa Tecumseh carb kits out there; dime a dozen. I'd order from a reputable dealer like Jacks Small Engines or Allseasonparts.com. By the way, the kit ya want for that is # 631893. Know that one by heart.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2022, 02:50 PM »
Seconding Jacks small engine, got parts from them to keep my Jiffy 76 White Lightning in tip top shape.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2022, 02:59 PM »

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2022, 04:39 PM »
Depends on where they come from and who makes 'em. Don't get a chinee junk one off Amazon. Lotsa Tecumseh carb kits out there; dime a dozen. I'd order from a reputable dealer like Jacks Small Engines or Allseasonparts.com. By the way, the kit ya want for that is # 631893. Know that one by heart.

X2 …make sure to pick up a Tecumseh kit.
Easy low cost job.
Search " jiffy model 30 carb rebuild " on YouTube for several videos for some tips.

Good luck all  :tipup:

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2022, 08:26 PM »
 I've gone to the Darkside and seldom rebuild carbs anymore.  Never had an issue with the Amazon Chinese carbs.  The extra couple bucks are well worth the time saved for me.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2022, 10:12 PM »
On newer equipment it is often better to just pay the $20 for a cheap carburetor and slap it on. It was likely cheap junk to begin with. In the case of the Jiffy model 30, and I'm sure it depends on how old, they have decent carburetors. Who knows if those Chineese knockoffs are even adjustable, and while most of them work, a scary number are junk right out of the box. I've replaced the carb on my Eskimo Mako, and the first one was bad out of the box. It happens all the time. Buying dirt cheap Chineese carburetors is a crap shoot

The key though is doing an actual carburetor rebuild. I see so many people, especially older guys who half take them apart, leave them in one of those carb dip cans over night, put them together and they don't work. Carb dips might have been an option in the past, but they haven't sold real dip cleaner in a long time now. Those Berrymans paint can cleaners? Scam 100%, don't clean anything except your wallet. You can sometimes get away with nothing but a mechanical cleaning with some needles, aerosol carb cleaner, and an air nozzle, but not always. B12 Chemtool is one of the strongest cleaners you can get today, but when all else fails you really need an ultrasonic cleaner to get these small carburetors fully cleaned sometimes. The other thing is you can't skimp on taking these apart. You absolutely need to remove welch plugs and any plastic caps. Your adjustment screws and jets (jets aren't removable on a Jiffy model 30) need to be taken out. Done right, you will guarantee it will work. Some people don't want to spend the hour it takes to do this though, and may not want to buy an ultrasonic cleaner, or maybe just don't like working on things.
-Tom

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2022, 07:41 AM »
My buddy was very successful in rebuilding carburetors in general and had rebuilt several Strikemaster /Tecumseh carbs with great success . One SM carb was rebuilt but just did not preform well at all ..he ended purchasing one off Amazon and it was off to the races. He ha since purchased several carbs from Amazon for various gas motors ...most are fine but some are duds .   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2022, 08:06 AM »
The Chinese carbs off Amazon are a crap shoot. Some work great, some don't - do you feel lucky?.

If you can get a rebuild kit for your carb I'd do that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.