Author Topic: The Mistakes Newbies Make  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Boatless in BTV

• IceShanty Rookie
The Mistakes Newbies Make
« on: Feb 26, 2022, 10:20 PM »
I recent bought my first Heritage tipup (a standard Laker) and I got to use it for the first time today. I set it with my fish finder down, and watched as right away a fish came off the bottom and straight at the bait. I saw the tipup shake as the fish hit, but the flag didn't go up.

I pulled the line in to see if the trip was set too tight and realized the I couldn't pull any line off the spool. It was only then that I noticed that the spool can only turn one way and I had it backwards.   ::)

I had to retire that tipup for the day, and when I got home this evening I had the fun of unspooling and respooling the line to get it right. If you've ever wondered what 450 feet of tipup line looks like rolled up on a soda bottle, here you go:

Thankfully my other tipups were working well, so I still had a good day, including the biggest largemouth I've gotten through the ice at just under 3 pounds.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The Mistakes Newbies Make
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:33 AM »
buy a HT polar tip-up and compare them.  i think youll like the them better than the old style.  i ditched the antique style 20+ years ago.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2022, 06:35 AM »
Rig with some nuts and a bolt an old spool (I like the big ones you can often get for free at a shop the load's reels) run it on a drill. Great for reversing lines and "unloading spools.

I myself use a set of old Heritage lakers and find them a great tip-up, with a larger, higher flag. If I fished trout in shallow water the HT polar tip-up might be a better choice, but I spend more time fishing lakers, bass, and walleye... Mine are just over 30 yrs old, and I have "pimped" them out with a nice drag and reflective tape for night fishing...

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2022, 03:41 PM »
I switched to Polar tipups many years ago and haven't looked back. I still have my old wooden ones that have a tension spring to prevent wind hits but the polars are just nicer.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2022, 08:38 AM »
I've had my Laker for some time now, great tip-up!

Fun personalizing them too!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2022, 08:55 AM »
A tip on the respooling if you ever have to strip and save line again....save an empty line spool after putting on new line, and put a washer on each side, and a nut to tighten down, run a 2" machine bolt thru it, put in drill chuck.
You can strip it off as fast or slow as ya want onto the spool, assuming the drill is a variable speed.

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.