Author Topic: Getting started with 3D printing.  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Nofishem

• IceShanty Rookie
Getting started with 3D printing.
« on: Dec 15, 2021, 06:26 PM »
Searched a lot here and did not find anything about getting started in 3D printing. For those in it as a hobby has it been worth the investment of time and money? Have you found enough files to print to keep it interesting? Any major watch outs?

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Getting started with 3D printing.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2021, 07:55 PM »
mmmmm, interested in the responses on this subject.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2021, 08:53 PM »
Me too

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2021, 09:58 AM »
3D printer on Amazon for just under 200. Revies sounded promising
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2021, 07:23 AM »
Searched a lot here and did not find anything about getting started in 3D printing. For those in it as a hobby has it been worth the investment of time and money? Have you found enough files to print to keep it interesting? Any major watch outs?

Plenty of free files. Depends on your hobbies and what you want to print on what u find worth while. If u get a printer. Get one with the largest print space you can aford.

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2021, 10:15 AM »
The big question is do you know any CAD, or are you willing to learn? I think I'd get pretty bored of it if I was just searching out things to print. Eventually the novelty wears off of being able to create mini owls and tug boats in your living room.

Where it shines and can be worth it's weight in gold is being able to design up a custom part you need, and have it magically appear in a couple hours. Did you break a weird little plastic part in something that hasn't been made since 1993? Draw it up with improvements to the design, print it and you are back in business. Do you want a cup holder right here in your shanty, but no one makes a mount for it? Think about it, draw it up and presto, there is a cup holder. I have made a cup holder that sits in-between the poles in my otter, I have made battery boxes, mounts for various things, an extra transducer arm, and other random stuff. My brother made his own version of the innovative tip down, and made some cool cup holder/shell holder/tiny table contraptions for the duck boat. Being 6'7", I was able to make some custom stock spacers for my waterfowl shotgun, and make some motion decoys the way I wanted them to work. Custom is king here.

It's is usually more cost effective to buy something if it is already out there than print it, especially with time added to the equation. Even then with my cup holder, I bought a boat cup holder and just printed the mount for it instead of printing the whole thing. Being able to make something that is not produced anywhere else though, can be priceless.

It's best to think of it as a tool to let you bring creative ideas to fruition than a hobby all by itself (though it can be if you let it).

As far as printers go, anything larger than 8"x8" is probably not a good idea unless you have a specific use case for something that big. The larger the printer, the slower and less accurate it will be. You can always print in multiple pieces and glue/fasten together. For functional prints, something that is enclosed with a heated build plate and can do ABS is probably the single biggest thing on the wish list. For anything you need to perform more than a basic box function, ABS will give you the toughness, strength and high and low temp resistance to make something that actually works.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm a mechanical engineer in the plastics manufacturing industry that has been 3D printing for the better part of a decade. I enjoy the topic. :-)

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to share knowledge and opinions.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2021, 11:49 AM »
What he said, lol.  I am a CAD guy (3D piping designer) and totally agree. 

Offline Nofishem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2021, 08:10 PM »
Far from a ramble Stretch! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. Since posting I was starting to think along the replacement part line. I am retired so I have the time to learn some CAD. I have an ex-BIL that is a CAD guy. I will see if he's interested in being a tutor.

Thanks again Stretch, well written post with great detail.

Nofish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2021, 08:14 PM »
The big question is do you know any CAD, or are you willing to learn? I think I'd get pretty bored of it if I was just searching out things to print. Eventually the novelty wears off of being able to create mini owls and tug boats in your living room.

Where it shines and can be worth it's weight in gold is being able to design up a custom part you need, and have it magically appear in a couple hours. Did you break a weird little plastic part in something that hasn't been made since 1993? Draw it up with improvements to the design, print it and you are back in business. Do you want a cup holder right here in your shanty, but no one makes a mount for it? Think about it, draw it up and presto, there is a cup holder. I have made a cup holder that sits in-between the poles in my otter, I have made battery boxes, mounts for various things, an extra transducer arm, and other random stuff. My brother made his own version of the innovative tip down, and made some cool cup holder/shell holder/tiny table contraptions for the duck boat. Being 6'7", I was able to make some custom stock spacers for my waterfowl shotgun, and make some motion decoys the way I wanted them to work. Custom is king here.

It's is usually more cost effective to buy something if it is already out there than print it, especially with time added to the equation. Even then with my cup holder, I bought a boat cup holder and just printed the mount for it instead of printing the whole thing. Being able to make something that is not produced anywhere else though, can be priceless.

It's best to think of it as a tool to let you bring creative ideas to fruition than a hobby all by itself (though it can be if you let it).

As far as printers go, anything larger than 8"x8" is probably not a good idea unless you have a specific use case for something that big. The larger the printer, the slower and less accurate it will be. You can always print in multiple pieces and glue/fasten together. For functional prints, something that is enclosed with a heated build plate and can do ABS is probably the single biggest thing on the wish list. For anything you need to perform more than a basic box function, ABS will give you the toughness, strength and high and low temp resistance to make something that actually works.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm a mechanical engineer in the plastics manufacturing industry that has been 3D printing for the better part of a decade. I enjoy the topic. :-)

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to share knowledge and opinions.

Have you tried any of the Scanners that will scan a part and then you can print it? I now the high detailed ones are high….but simple stuff without much detail it might work.

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2021, 09:14 AM »
Far from a ramble Stretch! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. Since posting I was starting to think along the replacement part line. I am retired so I have the time to learn some CAD. I have an ex-BIL that is a CAD guy. I will see if he's interested in being a tutor.

Thanks again Stretch, well written post with great detail.

Nofish

If you have the time, there is nothing wrong with printing for the fun of printing. I do have a good time messing with it and making random stuff because I can. You'll also get a much better understanding of slicer settings and mechanics the more weird stuff you print, which will make your functional prints that much easier and better.

Fusion360 from Autodesk has a hobbyist license that is free, and is probably your best bet. The initial learning curve is kinda steep if you have 0 experience in CAD, but there are thousands of tutorials in the software itself and youtube that will get you going very quickly. It's surprisingly powerful software and should take care of just about everything you'd ever need.

If you don't have one yet, get yourself a decent caliper. You need some way to measure up things to copy. AnyTime Tools on amazon makes a surprisingly good one for cheap. We use them on our manufacturing floor as they calibrate out the same as the good brands but are only 1/5th the price. I prefer dial, and have their dual-scale inch/mm one, but the digitals are fine too.

Have you tried any of the Scanners that will scan a part and then you can print it? I now the high detailed ones are high….but simple stuff without much detail it might work.

I don't have any personal experience with them, but the ones I have read up on aren't great for simple modeling. The laser reads the surface and pushes the data into a 3D point cloud (think a 3-dimensional connect the dot). The software then has to make it's best guess on what shapes it is actually seeing, which can be wildly inaccurate. For large, hard to measure parts or very complex surfaces they have their place, but for most replacement parts that need dimensional accuracy, it will be quicker and easier to just measure it yourself and draw it from scratch. If you just want to copy a statue and print it, it works pretty well from what I understand. However, if you need an M3 screw to thread into a hole, for example, you'll spend more time messing with the model than drawing it yourself.

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2021, 10:48 PM »
Stretch is on point. I will add a few other comments.
1. Visit your public library or local maker space to see some in person. you can print stuff or cheap/free there.
2. Decide if you want to play with 3D Prints or 3D printers.  CNC and motion control by itself can be rewarding. Having a bunch of robots doing your bidding can be satisfying.
3. Cost of buy in is cheap => lots of well meaning idiots spewing advice who don't know anything.
4. There is little innovation now than there was 3 or even 5 years ago. the only movement is driving the price down on cheap crap from China.
5. If you are doing little stuff or figurines or models, skip the cheese-wiz printers and jump into resin printers. Resolution is great and they are quick.
6. Laser scanners are still not there yet. Pretty much a folly still. You can get better results with TRUE photogrammetry with an old DSLR. google 'infinite photo scanner'
7. If you are a tinker, CAD skills are a nescessity. Otherwise you are at the mercy of very tom. dick and sorry on the websites who dont know how to model. There are lots of videos out there to learn.
If you are retired, go take classes at community college.

ME: my printers are tools and once tuned to produce accurate prints, are invaulable. I will resin print proof prints of stuff before firing up the mill or lathe. Protoypes get done quick in the resin machine with inernal and external threads and all. Then final part on the lathe is an easier production.  I have made drilling jig to hold a drill bushing to extract a broken engine stud,  7.3PSD oil dipstick bung nut wrench, wrench organizers for tool chest, tap/drill organizers.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2023, 08:32 AM »
Recently purchased my first 3d printer and been having fun with the kids printing stuff for them. I found something I really needed and was going to purchase but they are 45$ +shipping. When I bought my Helix 5, it was in the ice bundle so i never got a gimbal mount with it. I did fab a junky one but now I can print my own. It turned out really good.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3728854 (not my design)

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2023, 10:03 AM »
Nice work for sure.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2023, 01:33 PM »
Everything everyone said so far is correct... I'm not the best with software that modifies the .STL files, but the biggest issue to me is sizing the prints properly.  Thingiverse has lots of items to print and when i sent them over to the local library, the sizing is always off....

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2023, 02:44 PM »
Already from my limited exposure to 3d printing I've seen a few files with bizarre dimensions after the print. I'm trying to spend a few extra minutes before hitting print to ensure it is at least close to the actually size i need. With Cura, I've just used the grid pattern on the plate to estimate the correct size since the scale shown in is 1mm.
Just started playing with Fusion360 the other night. They have a free license for just home personal use. But I haven't tried to modify existing stl files yet, but soon.

Only used Cura, and not Prusa slicer yet, but I keep hearing its the one to be using.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2023, 04:06 PM »
Already from my limited exposure to 3d printing I've seen a few files with bizarre dimensions after the print. I'm trying to spend a few extra minutes before hitting print to ensure it is at least close to the actually size i need. With Cura, I've just used the grid pattern on the plate to estimate the correct size since the scale shown in is 1mm.
Just started playing with Fusion360 the other night. They have a free license for just home personal use. But I haven't tried to modify existing stl files yet, but soon.

Only used Cura, and not Prusa slicer yet, but I keep hearing its the one to be using.

I believe with Prusa, there is a built in measuring tool, with Cura it is available, but you have to download an extension/add on. I go back and forth but with the latest update to Prusa, I'm liking it more than Cura now.

If you struggle with Fusion, I found Onshape to be much easier to use for modeling, also can be used with a free license. I've been a Solidworks user for 20 years now, and was able to jump right in and work within Onshape, Fusion was more difficult, for me anyway.

Not sure why anyone would be seeing different sizes unless accidently adjusting the scale function in the slicer. Wouldn't be hard to do and not notice if it was a small amount.

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2023, 11:03 AM »
I've seen some DIY Jaw Jacker STL's available on Thingiverse. You print the moving parts and use PVC tubes for most of the frame. Looks like it would work pretty well. I printed some spool handles for Beaver Dam tipups that allow me to rotate the spool. Here's a few STL's that I've found that might interest you. I have a resin printer so some of the things i've found were too large for me to print without segmenting it a bunch. I'm pretty sure I've seen a LiveScope mount 3d printed that was really slick looking.

Glow Ring: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4131445

Jaw Jacker: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5198586

5 Gallon Bucket Rod Holder: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2055473

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2023, 11:43 AM »
I've seen some DIY Jaw Jacker STL's available on Thingiverse. You print the moving parts and use PVC tubes for most of the frame. Looks like it would work pretty well.

I can confirm those jaw jackers do work. I redesigned a few of the parts to make them easier to print, but left the trigger parts as is. Best rods for those are broken open water rods cut down to about 28" with a 3d printed handle.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2023, 12:10 PM »
Lots of Ram mount parts out there too, some Garmin and Helix sonar addons or mods. I'm currently printing some parts and pieces for my kayak. One being a trolling motor steering collar. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5557224
Next will be working on a rudder print and some misc parts and start designing a shuttle for my sonars.
This weekend I designed a cleat similar to the yak attack one for track mounts using PEGT and a knurled 1/4-20 knob. It turned out okay but I  need to get cleaner support surfaces on the print. Not sure if more heat, slower speed, or bring the z high on support material closer??

Nothing a file and some baking soda super glue won't fix.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2023, 07:36 AM »
It turned out okay but I  need to get cleaner support surfaces on the print. Not sure if more heat, slower speed, or bring the z high on support material closer??

Nothing a file and some baking soda super glue won't fix.

What kind of supports are you using? I found that the standard supports work ok with PLA, but can come off really rough on PETG. The tree supports come off a lot cleaner for me. I found that in the new version of Prusa slicer, they added "organic" supports which have been even better for me as far as coming off clean. The last couple things I did, on a flat surface, I couldn't even tell where the supports were.

I make and sell some ice fishing related items, so mostly printing out of PETG, getting there, but still not as easy to work with as PLA.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2023, 01:59 PM »
I use an Ender 3. I made a fishing line stripper. It works great!
This is the one that I made.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2356016

I think this one looks better though.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3564189

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.