Author Topic: ice auger problems  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Kfishman53

• IceShanty Rookie
ice auger problems
« on: Feb 17, 2021, 02:39 PM »
i have a strike master mag 2000, engine TC300  the carb on it is a tecumseh, don't think the diaphragm is working not getting gas. engine won't start on it's own only with shot of starting fluid and will only run for a second. can't find a part # for the carb. they make all kinds of aftermarket carbs for tecumseh motors how do i know which one will work? anyone ever replace one on this type of auger before ?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ice auger problems
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:04 PM »
should be able to get you going...give them a call

https://www.drockicecenter.com/

This part in particular fails quite often

https://www.drockicecenter.com/640363-fuel-inlet-elbow/

also i would not use starting fluid .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:09 PM »
People still use gas augers??????????
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:14 PM »
I don't have this model of auger but based on your description of how your auger is running, it definitely sounds like the carb is the issue. The other possible issue could be the fuel line from the tank but I strongly suspect it's the carb. You said that when you sprayed starter fluid it starts up but then dies. That means the fuel and/or oxygen is not flowing properly from the tank to the engine but once fuel reaches the pan, it runs. The carb sits between the engine and fuel tank so that's the most likely culprit.

The good news is you probably don't need a new carb. You may just need to pull apart the carb on your auger and clean it. I suspect the root of the problem is the fuel. Most fuels you purchase from gas stations now contain anywhere from 5-15% ethanol. Ethanol reduces carbon emissions in motor vehicles but it starts crystalizing very quickly (30-60 days). If the fuel starts to crystalize, it will clog up the ports and jets on the carb which prevents the fuel and air from flowing correctly - which will prevent the motor from starting.

Do a quick YouTube search for your model of carb and you will likely see a bunch of step-by-step instructions for removing the carb, pulling it apart, cleaning it and putting it back together. You'll need some carb cleaner and a small wire tie to clear the jets but even someone with no experience can probably remove, clean and replace a carb in just 30 minutes or so. You may need to replace the O rings and emulsion tube but unless the carb is damaged, you probably don't need to replace it. Total cost including carb cleaner is probably $15-$20.

Whether you clean the carb or replace it completely, be sure to add stabilizer to the fuel which will reduce (not stop) the ethanol from degrading. Be sure to drain the fuel at the end of each season and remember to drain the fuel from the carb bowl as well so it isn't sitting all season and clogging up the carb all summer. Lastly, consider using canned gas from a hardware store that doesn't contain ethanol - or from a local gas station that carries non-ethanol fuel. It's more expensive but will not degrade as quickly and gum up your carb.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Champlain
Memphremagog

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:23 PM »
That sucks I know quite a few people who use them and like them.
Champlain
Memphremagog

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:28 PM »
Could try a couple things ...new plug and make sure its gapped properly CJ6Y or equivalent Gap .030..

Fill auger tank 1/4 w/proper oil/gas mix to that add Seafoam 2oz or more ...mix ....run auger till warmed up...then kill motor via the choke .....let sit half hour repeat ...let sit over night ...should fix some of the woes .

If it wont start get some Seafoam and Mixed gas into the throat of the carburetor..get it to run ..syringe and a friend may be required ...also look at that inlet nipple ..if it is cracked it can leak gas and/or suck air .

Maybe update your location ..County and State ..could be parts nearby

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:37 PM »
This one says it fits the strikemaster ice auger tc300.. if everything looks to line up and its like the one you have then I would just buy this and forget about it for the season. Rebuild your factory one this summer when its nice out

https://www.amazon.com/640231A-Carburetor-Replacement-Tecumseh-Engines/dp/B07YBWRQZ2/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=tecumseh+tc300+carburetor&qid=1613597706&sr=8-6

Theres a lot of cheaper ones too on amazon (I listed one here a second ago but deleted it because the reviews werent good). Search "tc300 ice auger carb"
EYECONICFISHING

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:53 AM »
Maybe you did this but 1st thing to do is dump the gas out of gas tank, rinse it out with some fresh gas, then refill with new fresh gas. Solved many a problem just doing that with small engines.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:59 AM »
This one says it fits the strikemaster ice auger tc300.. if everything looks to line up and its like the one you have then I would just buy this and forget about it for the season. Rebuild your factory one this summer when its nice out

https://www.amazon.com/640231A-Carburetor-Replacement-Tecumseh-Engines/dp/B07YBWRQZ2/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=tecumseh+tc300+carburetor&qid=1613597706&sr=8-6

Theres a lot of cheaper ones too on amazon (I listed one here a second ago but deleted it because the reviews werent good). Search "tc300 ice auger carb"

My buddy who had rebuilt many of carburetors..had no luck with a rebuild kit on one SM Mag 2000(although had success on many others) ..found a carburetor  on Amazon ..EZPZ all fixed .

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:59 AM »
Spray it with Seafoam. Works wonders.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2021, 08:47 AM »
what now your on team seafoam??lol the op should uncrew the 4 screws on the bottom of  the carb pull out the fuel pump diaphragm out carefully and see if its dry and rotted or has pinholes or rips.ive posted part no.numerous times.I recommend guys search the auger section.Tecumseh used the same fuel pump and carb on almost all 70 and 80s models except the one with the little square carb on newer models.if its not getting gas no fresh gas,seafoam will work.i do recommend seafoam on a engine that runs like crap.i also would pull the jets out and clean those before buying anything.my experience with the cheap china carbs on ebay and amazon are not good.cant tune them or they dont work.theres a reason oem is pricey over a 12$ china carb.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2021, 08:50 AM »
what now your on team seafoam??lol the op should uncrew the 4 screws on the bottom of  the carb pull out the fuel pump diaphragm out carefully and see if its dry and rotted or has pinholes or rips.ive posted part no.numerous times.I recommend guys search the auger section.Tecumseh used the same fuel pump and carb on almost all 70 and 80s models except the one with the little square carb on newer models.

No, I just knew that tongue-in-cheek quip would get a rise outta you.    :roflmao:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2021, 08:53 AM »
No, I just knew that tongue-in-cheek quip would get a rise outta you.    :roflmao:
all the business we could  have if we were statewide mechs.lol

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2021, 08:57 AM »
No kidding! I officially quit doing it last Fall. My stuff is enough to do. 45 years is enough for me!  :wacko:
You can be the engine answer man. I'll mail ya my Tecumseh hat.   :roflmao:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:12 AM »
Nope,you are in team Tecumseh!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:26 AM »

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:30 AM »
For anyone reading this thread, definitely listen to Rebelss and Dr. Speckler. They know their stuff about augers and small engines in general. They recently helped get my (old gas) auger running better. Thanks guys!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:45 AM »
For anyone reading this thread, definitely listen to Rebelss and Dr. Speckler. They know their stuff about augers and small engines in general. They recently helped get my (old gas) auger running better. Thanks guys!

That's really nice to hear, Butcher...and a rarity!  Thanks and welcome!   :)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2021, 10:19 AM »
That's really nice to hear, Butcher...and a rarity!  Thanks and welcome!   :)

Like most HELP!!!! posts  the original poster never responds back with any updates as to what worked or not ...so sad . So getting a KUDOS is very refreshing .

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2021, 10:29 AM »

dont forget to rub a little dirt on it too...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2021, 10:31 AM »
Like most HELP!!!! posts  the original poster never responds back with any updates as to what worked or not ...so sad . So getting a KUDOS is very refreshing .
yes!!im always interested in the fix or if it went into the recycling bin..

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2021, 10:38 AM »
All I can offer is 2 words. Non  Ethanol Or is that one word? Rebelss help me out with that. I'll accept your ABC hat. LOL
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2021, 10:41 AM »
yes!!im always interested in the fix or if it went into the recycling bin..

That is why I am always hesitant to respond to the "new" to the forum 1st time poster ..or one offs ..no follow up/update . More recently I have seen a lot of the incomplete story postings ..only finding out the poster dosent respond to the basic questions/information to get to the root cause of the situation/problem ...and even more recently the snarky FaceBook style remarks ..not adding anything to the topic including a laugh .

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2021, 10:42 AM »
All I can offer is 2 words. Non  Ethanol Or is that one word? Rebelss help me out with that. I'll accept your ABC hat. LOL

I dunno. Is that two words or one? I will have to re-read my Websters sentence structure book, Lefty.  :roflmao:   
 Okay; but be careful with the hat, I don't want ya mistaken for an ace mechanic. You'll be hit with a zillion questions.  ;)

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2021, 10:46 AM »
what now your on team seafoam??lol the op should uncrew the 4 screws on the bottom of  the carb pull out the fuel pump diaphragm out carefully and see if its dry and rotted or has pinholes or rips.ive posted part no.numerous times.I recommend guys search the auger section.Tecumseh used the same fuel pump and carb on almost all 70 and 80s models except the one with the little square carb on newer models.if its not getting gas no fresh gas,seafoam will work.i do recommend seafoam on a engine that runs like crap.i also would pull the jets out and clean those before buying anything.my experience with the cheap china carbs on ebay and amazon are not good.cant tune them or they dont work.theres a reason oem is pricey over a 12$ china carb.

Although I've had pretty good luck with the cheap china carbs, Dr is spot on. It sounds a lot harder than it is to clean the carb, but it isn't. Seems like the old gas auger carbs are all relatively the same too, even if you can't find a youtube video with your exact one, they are close enough that watching a video will show you what to do.
Da Pack!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2021, 11:22 AM »
Although I've had pretty good luck with the cheap china carbs, Dr is spot on. It sounds a lot harder than it is to clean the carb, but it isn't. Seems like the old gas auger carbs are all relatively the same too, even if you can't find a youtube video with your exact one, they are close enough that watching a video will show you what to do.

If you are new to rebuilding ..its not like the old days ..take that FaceBook access device ..select  camera mode and take some pictures ..that FaceBook access device probably has video mode as well..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2021, 12:05 PM »
I am on Team Seafoam... ;D Near miracle stuff.

Borrowed a pressure washer a few years ago from my sister and her know nothing husband. Of course, I couldn't get it started and because I trusted them and was time constrained the project got postponed. I'd done some remedial stuff: fresh fuel, sprayed with Seafoam, put Seafoam in the gas and pulled the rope a bunch of times, checked the spark and plug. No go. It would start and run on ether as long as I sprayed into the intake but the second it burned up it was done.

Nine months later I've got time. I pull the carb off the B&S motor and drop the bowl. The thing is totally gummed with dark brown varnish. The needle valve for the float was so stuck I couldn't even get it out to clean that assembly. Took the whole works, dumped it into a can and poured in Seafoam to cover and walked away for 48 hours. Every time I was near I swished it around a bit. On the third day I took an old toothbrush, scrubbed what was visible and rinsed it in fresh Seafoam. Use the air hose to blow into all the orifices and dry it.

Bolted it back onto the motor, hooked up the fuel line and linkage, primed the carb and pulled the rope. First pull, popped right off. Miracle.

That said, I am also on the oxy/ethanol fuel is not necessarily evil team. Oxy fuel is all we can get most places here unless you buy premium which, in most cases, is not necessary or even desirable in small engines. I've lived with this stuff for 40 years and really never had an issue with any of my stuff. Sure, I get to help other folks out that don't get it (exactly what happened above) and it all gets blamed on oxy fuel. To some extent they are right but much of the blame lies with the user of the fuel.

1. Premium fuel is a waste of $$ if all you are concerned about is keeping alcohol out of your fuel.

2. Money is better spent on additives like Seafoam, Stabil (most any iteration but I prefer Marine) or Startron. In the end you're dollars ahead and performance is reliable.

3. Don't keep mixed fuel for more than 90 days, 60 is better. If it gets that old, pour it into your mower/blower/tractor, even your vehicle and burn it up. Mix fresh and you'll be fine.

4. I store most small motors with gas in the tanks. This keeps seals, diaphragms, etc. from drying out. After long term storage, sometimes I feel cocky and try to start the implement. In most cases, because my fuel, every single can, is treated with either Seafoam or Stabil it starts easily, often on the first or second pull. Can't remember the last time one didn't start. Usually, I still dump it into another bigger motor that's already running with more, fresher fuel and burn it up. Motors with non-diaphragm fuel pumps (like that pressure washer, my snowmobile or Mom's John Deere tractor) should be run dry before storage.

So go ahead and keep believing everything is the fault of oxy fuel. You'll never convince me. Take care of your fuel, take care of your motors and you'll never need to see a small motor repair guy.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2021, 12:30 PM »
Theres 2 sides to team seafoam.one is putting it in to prevent small engine problems and bad fuel.this is the team im on.the 2nd is having a engine carb that is already gummed and think adding seafoam will get it to run.nope too late.i like berrymans carb soak in the gallon container to clean carbs instead of seafoam.drop it in after disassembled and a day later its ready to wipe off reassemble and its ready to put back on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.