Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Starting a youngster in the Cedar Valley  (Read 986 times)

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Starting a youngster in the Cedar Valley
« on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:56 AM »
Group - I'm a rookie fisherman myself but have taken my 7 and 3 year old out ice fishing a couple times over the past year. They have really enjoyed it (or I should say the afternoon of snacking).  Yesterday my oldest has a blast watching the vexilar and meeting a his friend on the lake.  Last night while laying in bed my oldest asked if he could get his own ice fishing jigs and pole. It got me thinking I should buy it for him while he has interest and hopefully he can become a much better fisherman than his dad, haha.  I was thinking I'd buy him his own bucket and get a pole and small box of tackle for him.

Pole recommendations?

5-10 must have jigs?

Beginner -- any advice is appreciated!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Starting a youngster in the Cedar Valley
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:00 PM »
My only real recommendation is nothing expensive for the rods, because odds are, they'll end up down the hole some point, especially with a 3 year old. My son is 6, started bringing him along when he was about that age, and he's had a couple end up in the ponds so far.

Offline Bowkill78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2021, 03:15 PM »
What he said.  Cheap.  I started taking my son when he was young and we went through a little gear but getting them started is amazing.  Wasn't long and he had my vexilar every time we went our.  So I had to buy another.  And today he is 20 and we ice fish together all of the time.  It is time and money you will never regret spending.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:00 AM »
18 or 24" ht ice blue and any spinning reel

go to walmart and get some eagle claw tungstens for cheap

I build rods so my 7 y/o uses one of my old 26" u/l glass builds with a president - but honestly anything will do. It took him about 5 minutes to figure out how to read the Helix and pull fish up on our pond

Catchin' Fish

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2021, 08:46 AM »
Thanks guys!
Beginner -- any advice is appreciated!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:39 PM »
Schooley Spring Bobber pole. You can order one off of their website that comes with an ice scoop, some jigs and a depth sounder. Simple to use and catches fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.