Author Topic: Time to start dusting off the tip-ups and argue our Pike leaders!!  (Read 6442 times)

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
Good Morning, 

This cold weather has me thinking ice fishing for Pike and walleye and not our traditional WI deer hunt. 5 degrees here in SE Wisconsin with a high of 15...long term forecast looks nice and cold.  Crossing my fingers for an early season.

Have a great day folks!
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Funny guy...  ;)2 Thing is here someone's always dusting or arguing, you just don't visit often enough!  :roflmao: Nice to see you back on the board  :clap:  ;D

Saw several folks our on Little Arb on the way back from hunting  ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So do the leader arguments begin tomorrow after all the holiday goodwill has worn off? My esox brand Twist 'n Shout twiddlestick has apparently crossed paths with my 3 year old

grandson since the tool has disappeared but I don't believe he would have eaten it. Happy Thanksgiving to you.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Happy Turkey Day to you too stinky. 3 years old, hope he doesn't hurt himself with it  ;) When my buddy couldn't find something he always blamed it on his teen aged son with the phrase, "The Klingons got it...". Johnny was always good at appropriating his dad's stuff. Ostensibly it was for temporary use but much of it became permanently "attached".
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
Funny guy...  ;)2 Thing is here someone's always dusting or arguing, you just don't visit often enough!  :roflmao: Nice to see you back on the board  :clap:  ;D

Saw several folks our on Little Arb on the way back from hunting  ;D

:tipup: lol... happy Thanksgiving
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
I switched from using heavy floro to Malin #3 .012 coffee wire and #10 Mustad tripple grips on a quick strike rig. After following: esox_xtm posts, this guy know his stuff. My catch rate on the Finger Lakes area of NY has probably increased by 75%  I also have utilized my mobility wheeler and sled to keep the spread moving. Also a huge help, know the area and move.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Always wire...always big treble...always big bait. Why? My main target is panfish. But I almost always put out a tip up or two for ol' toothy on noted pike waters. Do I always get one? Nope. But when I do do, it's one worth mentioning. My motto has always been..."If you want big...go big". Nuff said.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
I made the choice to either chase pike or panfish, not both at the same time!  Once I commited the day to Pike with light wire,quick strike rigs and moving tipups every hour or so if they are not getting bit. (Working both ways out, along the contours and weeds from the origional set). My own Pike #'s on the ice went through the roof :tipup:

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
Thats the great thing about this sport, so many different possibilities and combinations depending on species, time, lake, vegetation, natural prey species, you name it.  There is no 1 sure fire method and any method could produce on any given day.  It's all about increasing the odds.  I for one, choose to rig a "natural looking" or as naturally looking as possible tip up rig.  30# braided main line, tied directly to a 40# mono leader with a surgeon knot.  No spinners, or beads on the leader.  Just a lively minnow (or smelly deadbait).  This is my go to.  I can say that I switched to steel leaders a few years ago, I tried coated, single wire, a couple different varieties but noticed the number of flags I was getting decreased dramatically.  I think the leader material was just more visible and less flexible.  So I switched back to a heavy mono.  I have been told the fluoro is superior, but the price is what turns me off. 
"When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.