The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Tanaka/Nils auger power issue  (Read 3459 times)

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
Tanaka/Nils auger power issue
« on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some advice on a problem I知 having with my auger. I am running Aspen 4-Stroke fuel with Amsoil Saber synthetic oil (90:1).  In the warm garage, engine runs like a champ. Lots of power and no problem hitting the high gear, but when I take it out to the lake, it idles and starts fine and will continue to idle, but has no power to cut a hole. I let it warm up and it stays idling, but as soon as you go to cut it completely bogs down and dies.  Then fires up on the first pull and idles, but again no power and on and on.  I知 guessing i need to tweak the high idle screw????  Thoughts or suggestions???

Thanks!

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tanaka/Nils auger power issue
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:43 PM »
   Go back to 87 octane mixed 90:1 Amsoil Saber and see if your problem disappears.
 If you still have a problem I would suspect the metering lever is set to low and not allowing enough fuel into the carb.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2019, 11:18 PM »
Thanks Frank for the suggestions. I値l give it a try here in the next day or two and report back in case someone else is having a similar issue.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2019, 02:25 PM »
I run my Tanaka 270 and 350 powerheads with Aspen4 and 100:1 AmsOil Saber and SeaFoam.  When you start it at home and run WOT it works fine?  It痴 just when you are on the ice and try WOT under load it bogs down and dies?
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2019, 09:16 PM »
Hey BlueDevil,

Yeah, strangest thing. I had it at home and fired it up the night before with some new Aspen + Amsoil Sabre and ran great. Took it out to Blackstrap the next day. Was cold out, but not crazy and it was all I could do to drill a few holes. On WOT outside it just completely bogged down and had zero power to turn the blade. As soon as it was underload and cutting, it would just die. I had to feather it so to speak in order to cut holes.

BTW, the engine lock was off if anyone was thinking that ;p

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2019, 07:54 PM »
Hey shawno,

Which Tanaka powerhead do you have?  Is this a brand new powerhead? 

The only issue I have ever had with mine was I fried a set of Nils blades in Diefenbaker one year and I took them in locally to Saskatoon to get them sharpened, the pitch was incorrect and the blades were too aggressive so they would continue to get stuck but my powerhead never bogged down.  Had to send my blades to Frank to get them fixed. 

On a side note my fuel is Aspen4 mixed 100:1 with AmsOil Saber with 2oz of SeaFoam (I usually make 1 US gallon at a time).  I leave the gas/oil mix in my augers all year long and start the augers once a month and let them run for a few mins as well as bringing them up to WOT.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:32 PM »
It a Tanaka TED-270PFDH

I tried firing it up in the garage tonight and it is now doing the same thing as it did in the ice. I put put some Seafoam in the carb and it seems to clean it out a bit. It had really good power with the carb cover off. As soon as I put that back on, I had to run it on full choke to get much out of it.   Seems like I may have to clean out the carb. I知 wondering if I fire in some carb cleaner in while it痴 running of it would help any?

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2019, 07:06 AM »
   The carb cleaner sprayed while running won't clean the carb as its going directly through the throat.  Its best to take it apart and clean it. Be sure to get the small circuits and jet.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:05 AM »
I would put straight seafoam in it and let it run until it dies. Not a lot just enough to run for about 10 minutes. Don't throttle it just let it idle it out.
<===Lefty===

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:05 PM »
Any new updates Shawno?
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:23 PM »
Hey Guys,

Well, I tried a number of things, such as new fuel, straight seafoam into the carb, let it sit with carb cleaner for a day, run without fuel cap, but nothing in the end fixed it. Took the carb apart and cleaned carefully. I must have forgotten to winterized...err...sum merize  ;D it last year, cause there seemed to be a lot of varnish and almost like sticky old fuel in it. Lesson learned. Put it back together and now it is working great again. Starts on the first pull. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I値l put it through it痴 paces this weekend.

Cheers!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:54 PM »
   The carb cleaner sprayed while running won't clean the carb as its going directly through the throat.  Its best to take it apart and clean it. Be sure to get the small circuits and jet.

Frank since i don't have a Tanaka anymore do you remember about the high speed jet thing. Its under that plastic plug by the throttle arm. Heat up a nail and remove the plug to get at the high speed jet.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:07 AM »
 Hello Bee, yes I do.  In this case the symptom was starving for fuel after the engine has been run for a short time.   
 Cleaning the carb was the 1st step to correct the problem.  The procedure I posted to access the mixture screw is more in line for an engine running too lean and creating hard cold starts.  Whenever I get bad performance questions I start with going back to 87 octane as I've found the Tanakas perform better with that as opposed to higher octanes.   
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2023, 08:16 PM »
Tanaka runs In warm weather. In Really cold conditions ( -10 to-40 ) I get one hole and then it bogs down and finely stops,loosening the fuel cap helps, so does taking the cap in house to warm  Is there a vent that could frost up

Currently shopping for a new cap

Also, is it possible that the oil in the fuel is restricting the fuel filter in the tank end of the fuel line

I use only Amsoil with non oxygenated fuel treated with Stable. I知 overly cautious about fuel

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2023, 09:08 PM »
Tanaka runs In warm weather. In Really cold conditions ( -10 to-40 ) I get one hole and then it bogs down and finely stops,loosening the fuel cap helps, so does taking the cap in house to warm  Is there a vent that could frost up

Currently shopping for a new cap

Also, is it possible that the oil in the fuel is restricting the fuel filter in the tank end of the fuel line

I use only Amsoil with non oxygenated fuel treated with Stable. I知 overly cautious about fuel

Anything can freeze ice fishing, but I've never seen it happen. No, oil can not clog a fuel filter. Try a new gas cap. Some other common causes of starving for fuel are cracked fuel hoses, cracked primer bulb, and dry carb diaphragm which servers as your fuel pump.
-Tom

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2023, 06:41 AM »
  Its possible you have moisture in the cap and that freezes when you take it outside.  If you're bringing the auger indoors, that cold fuel when warmed will create condensation.  You're also building up pressure in the gas tank as the fuel expands because the gas cap has a one way vent. That pressure is pushing against the needle and letting fuel run into your carb which isn't something you want indoors.

If the cap isn't venting as it should, by loosening the cap you should be able to drill a hole without any issues. If that's not the case, then you're looking at a carb cleaning. 
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2023, 12:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will try all of these suggestions in coming days as soon as I can   Currently in an ankle cast with no weight restriction
I値l start looking at the fuel

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.