Author Topic: Line through the rod  (Read 8456 times)

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Line through the rod
« on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:38 AM »
Since ice fishing is slowly winding down. Does anyone know a good place to get rod blanks for making hole hopping rods that have the line running through them? I would like to make some for Christmas presents next year. I have done a few searches and came up blank.
Thanks in advance!!!
WiMeatHunter

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Line through the rod
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:46 AM »
mudhole is the only site that comes up for me.

Offline scmuskies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Call St. Croix Rods - they'll have tips/cutoffs/etc to purchase.

sc

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2016, 11:49 AM »
You are talking about running the line through the blank instead of using guides? I have seen that in open water, but not on a ice rod... What is the advantage? I would think ice in the blank would be a real problem...

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2016, 12:56 PM »
You are talking about running the line through the blank instead of using guides? I have seen that in open water, but not on a ice rod... What is the advantage? I would think ice in the blank would be a real problem...

Frabill has a series of line-thru-rod combos called Jiggler Long rods.

http://www.frabill.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/940x587/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/8/6827_6828_-_jiggler_long_rod_w_standard_reel_1.png
Leave Some For Seed

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2016, 03:31 PM »
I'm thinking if you google palm rods for ice fishing you should find something. I've seen them complete but never seen just the blanks.
 Rp

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2016, 03:47 PM »
Is there more or less icing issues with a "through the blank" rod?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2016, 04:17 PM »
Is there more or less icing issues with a "through the blank" rod?
                Don't know but if it does ice up how you gonna thaw it, cant blow on it or anything like that!

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Never used one but from what I understand they are super sensitive. When I watched it in action the guy set the hook then brought the fish up  hand over hand. I think they kinda originated over sea's. But not sure exactly where.
  Rp

Offline Jeff B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Jans Net Craft has some 5 foot ultra light glass blanks and some graphite as well.The blanks are priced pretty good but the shipping cost are high.I was looking at them in their catalog today.I would like to build one myself but I only want one so the shipping costs more than the blank.

I have two friends that use this very setup with Schooly Reels and they both spank gills and specks better than most people on the ice.I would say their rods with a wood handle and a 5 foot blank is close to 6 feet long and they both have Bic lighter springs on the end of them
:icefish: SPANKIN GILLS and SPECKS :icefish:

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Most of the time these rods are used in shallow water (10 feet or less) so you can just pick your jig/fish up out of the water by lifting your arm.  Very fun way to cover a lot of shallow water quickly.  Simply set the depth on the reel, which acts more of a line storage system than a reel, and fish.
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2016, 03:41 AM »
They're called "Stillfish" rods.

Made a set of 3  couple years back. 24", 36", 42".

They're great for hole hopping. I can easily cover a 12' water column with the longest. The rod length depends on the depth the fish are at. In the evenings when the fish move up , the short one is the nuts. They don't ice up as you only hand line them. Spring bobber is critical. Use nano or other braid not mono. You'll need a wire to thread the line through the blank.

The blanks and handles came from Jann's. The reels came from a crappie rod supplier down south. Sorry, but the name escapes me.

My partner, "The Old Man", borrowed my longest about a year ago.  I'll have to build another for myself ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Great info keep it coming. I have one 52" that an old timer in the area made. I could go buy more from him, but I think it would be cool to make some and give them to my fishing partners for a cool Christmas gift!!!
WiMeatHunter

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Grizzly jig company sells the still fish reels. As another poster said the reel is for holding extra line. Not to fight the fish.although I have on occasion. Love my long rods. The older gentleman in Racine Wis. Plastic Joe makes lots of them. They are easy on your back and you are not bent over all day. Go to just about any lake that has gills or crappie in southern Wisconsin and you will see many using them. As stated they are for relatively shallow water. Have mostly put my short rods in moth balls now that I use long rods.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Ice will build up on the exposed line - same as any other fishing rod - but the blank doesn't freeze up because the line rarely is reeled back into the blank and because the spring on the end of the blank clears off the ice crystals before they enter the blank if you do adjust your depths frequently while hole hopping. I've been using this system for about 5 years and enjoy the easy handling and maintenance. My first line-through-blank rod was a Pulsator (48") - from around the Sauk City, WI area. Then I bought a Frabill Jiggler (54"). Recently I found a 24" version from HT. It's a fun way to jig.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2016, 02:22 PM »
Grizzly jig....yup.....that's it.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2016, 05:04 AM »
You can find the reels on EBay too.  Those are great for shallow water hole hoppin', saves your back and knees, takes wind out of the equation.  Make it long enough so you don't have to bend to reach the hole.  You'll want the blank stiff enough to lift your fish out of the hole without hand lining.  Try not to launch 'em on the hookset........  Old guitar string to thread it with.  It's a blast when you get the hang of it and conditions are right.  No bite?  Lift rod, move to next hole, drop jig.   I can bring a fish off the bottom and out of the hole in 12 fow with my 4 ft. rod.  I use rods or broken tip sections scored from yard sales, thrift shops, etc. 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2016, 05:17 AM »
Yup again ;D

End of the day hole hopping is a ton of fun. People start leaving.....grab the Stillfish and start hopping all the left over holes. My old guitar strings have a lot of uses, but they make great spring bobbers.

Since I built the stillfish rods, I've changed them over to the guitar string bobber.

Rg

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 29, 2016, 11:33 AM »
I hole hop with my ultra-lite and 22" flex rod.  Can be down to the bottom or reeled up in seconds and when fishing out of the hut the line is on the reel and not wind blow and caught on ice chip when you hand line.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:12 PM »
Older thread, but wondering if anything new is on the market for this type of rod?

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:07 PM »
Got mine from cny custom rods had for couple years holding up great.   
Just enjoying life

Offline starider58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2023, 04:32 PM »
On the line through ice rods, could anyone explain to me how the use a guitar string to thread up the rod please?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2023, 04:59 PM »
You will need a guitar string long enough to pass through the entire length of the rod plus another few inches to work with. Tape your line to the end of the string and feed the other end into your rod. When that end pokes out the other side you should be able to pull the whole works through the rod until you reach your line. Probably works best if you spool your line and feed from the butt to the tip. Depending on how tiny the tip is you won't be able to use much tape. Put on just enough to secure your line to the string and pull gently. Likely to get a little tight near the tip, be gentle.

And welcome to Ice Shanty! Great place, great folks! Enjoy your stay!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline starider58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2023, 08:24 AM »
 ;DThank you so much! It worked! Taped line to #11 guitar string. 🎉✌️🎣🎣

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.