Author Topic: Need some help with a recipe.  (Read 785 times)

Offline GIBBS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need some help with a recipe.
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:16 AM »
Hey guys a buddy of mine just got back from a pheasant trip out west and we are going to have a family get together(his and mine) to eat some bird and i will fry some fish. So a good recipe for the birds would be great. I figure this would be the best place to get one. Thanks everybody.   

Offline mojofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need some help with a recipe.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Hey guys a buddy of mine just got back from a pheasant trip out west and we are going to have a family get together(his and mine) to eat some bird and i will fry some fish. So a good recipe for the birds would be great. I figure this would be the best place to get one. Thanks everybody.   

My favorite way is to bake with cream of mushroom soup - use any chicken recipe.  Careful of shot. 
It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:39 AM »
    checkout   amazingribs.com     it is a good web page with all kinds of meat cookin ideas. go to it all the time!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:42 AM »

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:00 AM »
season your bird with salt and pepper, dust lighty with flour and sear in a med hot pan, allow first side to get gold and crispy, flip bird over, remove from pan, add minced garlic, onion, 1/4 cup redwine, fresh thyme or dried, 3/4c chicken stock S&P to taste, and remove all the tasty bits off the bottom of pan with wooden spoon, return bird to sauce and let simmer lightly until sauce is reduced, feel free to add mushrooms with garlic and onion. this is one tasty. The problem with pheasant is if it is not cooked to an exact temp and can be a little tough, however what you are doing here is essentially braising your protien which should render it farely tender. you could always pick you favorite marinade or rub (brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder) and grill it until it is just done. you have a little carry over cooking of about 15 degrees, so make sure if you grill you let it rest to reabsorb those juices. HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:12 AM »
if you will be cooking the whole birds, hard to beat stuffing them with 1 granny smith apple chopped fine 1/2 onion choped fine 2 cloves garlic also choped 1 cup apple cider and enough bread crumbs to make a thick dough cook at 350 for one hour covered then uncover for 15 to brown the skin. if your just cooking the breast then saute in garlic and butter, real butter not that fake stuff, over med heat for 3 min on a side.

Offline BIGPAPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Pheasant paprikas!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:19 PM »
here is a good recipe, there is mention of cooking it in an egg, that is a grill, can do this stove top and serve over potatoes rice or toast .
here is the same recipe using duck and ive done it with turkey also adding in some peas. big improvement over the standard SOS

pheasant newburg

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=846789&catid=1

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:13 PM »
I like to smoked and make a dip out of it. It makes a great dip for crakers. It is also good in cheese balls after smoked. I'm getting good at the smoking and the cheese balls. We made up a ton of smoked catfish cheese balls this fall that were to die for.......

Offline GIBBS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:44 PM »
THANKS GUYS!!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:05 PM »
I like to cut the breasts into thin strips, marinate them in Buffalo Chicken Wing Sauce for a couple of hours, wrap them in bacon, and grill them on the BBQ.  Don't overcook, as they do get dried out and tough.  Then splash fresh (don't re-use the marinade, toss that out) wing sauce over them, serve as an hors d'ouerve.   Even my teen age girls will  eat several of them, KNOWING it is wild game.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Breast them out and cut into chunks. Throw into a pot of boiling water with some onion, celery, carrots, chicken soup base, and simmer for 3 hours. Add chunks of potatoes, and some salt/pepper to taste. Cook for another hour. Add corn starch mixed into cold water until it is nice and thick. Pheasant stew  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:10 PM »
Filet the breast meat off the bone and butterfly it so it is uniformly thick.  Soak the meat in buttermilk overnight.  Dredge the meat in flour, salt, pepper and paprika.  Brown the meat in a frying pan with butter.  Place on baking sheet with small pats of butter, cover and bake for 30 mins. @ 350.  You can cut it with a fork. ;D

Great....now I'm hungry!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:04 PM »
Do them Cacciatore!

A great and tasty traditional hunter's recipe. MMMMMmmmmmm good!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.