Author Topic: Where the heck did I put that?  (Read 7002 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Where the heck did I put that?
« on: Aug 21, 2008, 07:56 AM »
 If you guys could put out some Ideas of how you store your Tackle. We all want to be prepared for anything, but I know the kitchen sink is sort of hard to organize and probably not needed..
 Since this is the season of preparation.... How do you store your jiggs, sinkers, leaders, and hooks?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: Where the heck did I put that?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2008, 08:45 AM »
i use plano storage boxes for everything but my trolling spoons, which only go when i'm trolling for trout. i have a bunch of tackle bags, but i'm thinking of getting a tackle box they fit in. i'm carrying too many tackle bags, and too much stuff i don't need!

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2008, 08:51 AM »
For icefishing I have a couple of small Plane boxes that can fit in my pocket. One is on me all the time while out and about just in case, the other in the sled. 8)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2008, 08:57 AM »
What do you use on your sled Pooley?  I used some plastic pill containers for jigs last year, which worked well.

Hooks and leaders are another subject.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:08 AM »
Great picture pooley, I saved that one to my puter.

Bart, The plano boxes I have and use, they work well, with hooks and leaders not so much.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:26 AM »
i keep steel leaders in the ziploc they come in, or a regular one. my jigs are in a plano 3600, along with extra spring bobbers, swivels, flickers for swedish pimples, etc. hooks and splitshots are in an neoprene flyreel case that i got somewhere. i just leave them in their own packaging.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:37 AM »

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:51 AM »
tackle boxes  hmm  thats an Idea!!!   maybe should bring one   might catch a fish then....  how ya carry that    one hand auger  other a pole and a 30 pack   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:52 AM »
My Vex has a little plastic box. All i need is in it.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:00 AM »
jimmyclaude, I just recalled seeing someone on here using a fly box, good idea! Your jigs can't fall out if dropped or tipped over. No rattling while walking around too! Leader material, I keep a few small spools in my pocket also, 25 yard spool type or flyfishing tippet material. I also always carry a small pair of nail clippers, one in my pocket the other in one of the boxes. I'm going to putting the clippers on a retractable lanyard this year, that should save me time looking for a dropped one in the snow.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2008, 11:38 AM »
i use a bunch of clear plano gear boxs that store and keep everything organized . then as i make plans to go fish, i take out what ever it is i think i will need and put it in a gear bag for the trip.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2008, 12:41 PM »
I tried something different for hooks and leaders last year that seemed to work well. I use a lot of electrical tape in my job and 3M puts a plastic case around each vinyl roll, it is about 3.5" in diameter and about 1" deep and worked really well. The only real time I had a problem was when it was windy, which made coiling a little difficult.   A buddy of mine uses a plano tool box 6or his tip ups and put foam on the tool tray. With some tooth picks he was able to mount them on the foam. Keeps things in order.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2008, 02:25 PM »
I use the aluminum fly boxes with the clips for my panfish jigs. They work great , don't crack in the cold, and everything stays in place even when dropped.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Pooley, the pics always help ... That floor is starting to look familar.

Post some pic of what you guys use, cause we are all a visual bunch.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2008, 07:29 PM »
good light on the front porch! ;D i could take them in the street, but my neighbors already think i'm half a bubble off center. :P

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:18 PM »
i use a little box like pooley but that only last the first couple trips, then i have to start searching the bottom of my shanty for everything

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #16 on: Aug 23, 2008, 12:33 AM »
use a few just like pooley:s to keep everything organized . then as you go to a place, take what you will need from each gear box.when you return, just put them back in the gear box it was assigned to . this keeps everything from getting a mess.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2008, 01:35 AM »
If you do a lot of pan fishing use the flyboxes, they work the best. And for the raps and the bigger spoons I use smaller plastic boxes. BUT I love using the flyboxes for the small jigs. I use the plano plastic ones with the clear plastic on the front so you can see the jigs before you even open it. They have them at walmarts in 3 diff sizes. And they hold up in the cold weather very well. I have 4 of them I bought 3 years ago that are stuffed with jigs and have never had any probs with them. What I did was buy a plano smaller soft side tackle box that had 4 plastic boxes in side of it and one that slipped in in a pocket in the back of it. I took out 3 of the 4 inside and filled the last box with spoons and raps. Then I took the 4 fly boxes and put inside the soft box. (2 on each side of the plastic box) The box in the back of the soft pack I put sinkers, slip bobs, hooks and what ever spoons and raps or extras I have. Man this worked great for me.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Plus the clear front on the fly boxes work well when using a lantern. all you do is turn the clear end at the lantern for a few secs and you know which ones glow and which ones don't. And by doing it this way everything is safe and sound when moving the shack, or transport to and from the lake.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline bobb-o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team IceAult
« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2008, 02:25 AM »
Didnt see this mentioned yet, but when i do a majority of my hole hopping i use the weekly pill reminder boxes you can find almost everywhere, the ones i use i get at walgreens for .99 cents each and i can store quite a few jigs or plastics in each one, the great part aboot them is that I can fit 3 or 4 snugly next to the battery on my Vex Pro-pack. They also fit very well in a soft case as my brother uses the same ones for his VX-1 case.
IBOT Minister of Information

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Sorting everything out .... I'm sure you guys say the same thing as me   "man, I've got a lot of crap"

Same as Dabber-doo and Bobb-o, I find that all the stuff I need is in those small pill boxes. I, paranoid that I may need some thing else. Stuff that I have never used but once when I got it new.

My wife made me put all my top water stuff on display so I could see it all the time. (Thanks Honey)

These are some, and I have a bunch more. I use the same five lures all the time even if I try some new things I always go back to my "A" game, in the little pill boxes.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 25, 2008, 02:45 PM »
i like the pill box idea. i'm going to jig more this year, so that may be the ticket.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2008, 03:00 PM »
I use Guide series fly boxes from Gander Mountain.

Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2008, 03:08 PM »
HOLY CRAPPIE ..... YOUR SICK MAN!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2008, 03:10 PM »
much too neat! where is your sense of adventure? :P

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #24 on: Aug 25, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Nut, I'm going to check that out at Gander Mtn., looks like the ticket...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #25 on: Aug 25, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Nutter, you have a future in Holiday gift baskets for the ice fisherman!

Of course I can only use two at a time, Still......

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 25, 2008, 06:28 PM »
I use a Plano 1354 Box for jigs, spoons and etc and a Vexilar tackle bag with the 3 boxes for swim baits.

A couple of my boxes.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #27 on: Aug 25, 2008, 06:31 PM »
i think i use tip-ups too much!!!! :o :laugh:

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #28 on: Aug 25, 2008, 08:18 PM »
dkfry, NO HALI !!! :o Can that get you through this upcoming season? :laugh:  Nice... :thumbsup:
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #29 on: Aug 26, 2008, 06:52 AM »
I am Humbled   :bow:  and with Pooley on the tipups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.