Author Topic: Structure On A String  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
Structure On A String
« on: Dec 14, 2006, 12:07 AM »
Anyone Ever Try It..Does It Work As Well As They Say It Does?..Looks Pretty Neat.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Structure On A String
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2006, 01:33 AM »
what the heck are ya talking about?

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2006, 01:39 AM »
I've seen someone using it last season, if it's the same as you're talking about.  It's a string of plastic weeds you put down a hole to simulate vegetation and attract fish.  I personally didn't see any improvement.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2006, 05:47 AM »
Use the search function on here and type in: structure on a string.   I saw posts from 2004 listed on this subject.
Ken                                          

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:14 AM »
Two years ago I created my own "structure on a string" I utilized rubber duck decoy line and lead duck weights crimped on the bottom end. I then threaded on fake rubber tree and other fake plant pieces to create six foot tall shrubs. I attached a foam block to the top of these. I keep 30 feet of cord that can be unraveled to fish any depth down to 30 FOW. I made 8 of these. They make for a real nice weedbed on an otherwise featureless terrain. They draw hoards of perch and crappie, and the Pike set up on the perimeter. In some cases it is better to set them up in a row with the shanty in the middle of the row. In situations where the fish are nomadic, I find that they begin at one end of the weed line, then cruise its length right under my shanty. Many times a school of minnows can be spotted set up right in the midst of my fake weed bed.
The rubber cord does not freeze, and I use clear 100% siliconized caulk to hold the pieces inplace on the cord. The plants push down througfh the holes very easily, and pull up just as easy.
I do not use them very often, only on very slow days, or in areas with lots of fisherman, but very little structure. These are very light weight, but bulky. They fill a plastic garbage bag. But they can save the day.
Good Luck! :) :tipup:

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:36 AM »
I'm guessing this is what your talking about.

http://www.reelweeds.com/

Ed

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:00 AM »
That looks pretty sweet might have to try it this year.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:48 AM »
yea looks great...anyone know how much they are???

Offline NickN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2006, 10:08 AM »
Looks cool but, when bringing in a fish I would think you would get caught up in them from time to time.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2006, 10:23 AM »
Don't get caught up anymore than a real weed bed. I would rather have fish hangin around the hole all day even if I did get hung up a bit, as oppossed to not having fish in the area. A small price to pay. I generally fish no closer than 5 - 6 feet from them which for panfishh on 1# - 3/4 lb test presents little danger. :)

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:02 AM »
I never thought about the hung up factor.  Since they're not rooted just pull them in with the fish?
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:21 AM »
defiently a good idea to hide the camera too...

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Thanks for the input fellas...i think i will make my own..it looks like a great idea to me.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:51 AM »
Thanks for the input fellas...i think i will make my own..it looks like a great idea to me.

post pics when your done....

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2006, 12:03 PM »
I saw them at the st.Paul Ice Fishing show.Don't remember the cost but thought they were on the high side. Don't think it would be to hard to make your own.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2006, 12:10 PM »
yea i have seen like plastic vines and stuff at the dollar store...

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2006, 01:24 PM »
I suppose it would work ok for panfish where you could haul them up outta that stuff, but can you imagine the mess you'd have with a big fish that took a sweeping run?   ???
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2006, 01:38 PM »
yea id be pretty wild...couldnt be worse than getting tangled with a camera cable...

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:42 PM »
that is cool anyone have any pics ofthe home made ones. ?

Offline rabidsponge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:27 PM »
Don't get caught up anymore than a real weed bed.

maybe its just me but i would think it easier to pull your lure and fish thru a real weed rather than a plastic one

good idea in theory though

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:04 PM »
maybe its just me but i would think it easier to pull your lure and fish thru a real weed rather than a plastic one

good idea in theory though

ya but the idea is to create structure where there is none. or if u cant locate any

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:42 PM »
That looks cool
I wonder if a  branch from the Christmas tree would work. I think an underwater  picture with decorations and a nice big walleye would be cool in fact that's all I want for Christmas. 

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:00 AM »
The lake I do most of my fishing on was built in the "70's" and the whole thing was lined with blue clay. There are no plants of any kind growing there. The DNR put christmas tree piles and pallet stacks out but they are usually crowded, so I'm going to make some to try there in the area we call the flats, the locator will show fish near the bottom but it's hard to get them to bite.

Ed

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2006, 01:45 AM »
I was all into this last night and a guy I work with was talking about aquarium plants that he got at the dollar store then it led to fake plants then I thought about the junk pile at the timber I hunt it's where they dump the old plants off the graves it's cheap still debating on the morals thou!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:44 PM »
One of the other forums I visit talks about these a lot.  Many people will not fish with out them.  In an area without structure, they will draw in fish. People will surround their shack with them and fish in the middle.   I thought about making my own.  With Christmas about to be over, I think I could pick up some garland real cheap.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2006, 11:57 AM »
The materials that are used to make the sos's are test to last and not come apart. This was discussed on a different site last year and guys made their own and they fell apart. Meaning they are in the lake. SOS has tested these for years and made improvements so we as fishermen don't have any problems using them. Yes, they work. I know many people using them. I have my own weed bed but do to last years bad ice I haven't used them yet. I would go with the real deal and not try to cut cost on this one.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Must say that my home made ones are 20" wide at the base, tapering to 12 at the top. The bought ones are usualy a single strand vine. None of mine have come apart in three years of use. Use rubber rubber style duck decoy line and crimped on duck weights, then thread on pieces of plants picked up in trash along the roadside in neighborhoods. The fake rubber and tropical plats have symetrical leaves with a hollow hole in the middle for threading. I space them out and use 100% clear silicon caulk to bind them in place on the string. Hols up great and costs nearly nothing, and you get much, much more plantage for the string.  8)

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2006, 03:11 PM »
Must say that my home made ones are 20" wide at the base, tapering to 12 at the top. The bought ones are usualy a single strand vine. None of mine have come apart in three years of use. Use rubber rubber style duck decoy line and crimped on duck weights, then thread on pieces of plants picked up in trash along the roadside in neighborhoods. The fake rubber and tropical plats have symetrical leaves with a hollow hole in the middle for threading. I space them out and use 100% clear silicon caulk to bind them in place on the string. Hols up great and costs nearly nothing, and you get much, much more plantage for the string.  8)

can u show us a pic i am curious to see what it loos like and i want to get a general idea of what it looks like? ;D

PWR BAIT

« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2006, 03:38 PM »
go to www.ladredge.com that will show you what this stuff is they have some video its pretty cool.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2006, 10:00 AM »
Over the up-coming weekend I will snap some shots of my homemade structure on a string. I will post them next week.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.