Author Topic: Drill inquiry  (Read 5922 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Drill inquiry
« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:15 PM »
Sounds like availability is sketchy at this time too. Do any of the rigid guys here have one to do a review on???
mine is on the way. ordered it over the weekend when i ordered the RIDGID Mobile Miter Saw Stand with Mounting Braces for half price.
Model#  AC9946
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-Mounting-Braces-AC9946/206992161

all i want is usb/5 volt. i have plenty of 12 volt power sources including rigdids 12 volt batteries and 5 sla batteries. the 12 volt batteries are lifetime warranted also, so no worries about over using them. i should hook up one of the 4 amp hours to my lx9 and see how long it lasts. on the hb ice55 a 2 amp went a few hours.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Oh Lord......
..please save us from the "which drill" drill topics........ :-\

Thanks in advance,
Rg

Forgive me for logging into an ice fishing forum and asking a serious question.  Getting rid of my trusty gas auger is a pretty big decision for me and wanted to get some honest feedback.  Unfortunately Id rather not sift through hundreds of other arguments, which may or may not be relevant as the technology is changing every day.  Sure I've done some searching but was hoping to get replies from guys opinions here that I trust, not from some anonymous amazon user.  Don't like it, move on and don't read it.   

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:13 AM »
If you are wanting to replace a gas auger or have the drill setup be your main setup. There is Only drill that I think makes sense. It is the Milwaukee fuel hammer brushless 1200in/lbs drill.

#1. With the 1200in/lbs the drill turns an 8in with no issues, and can continue to do so when drilling thick ice. Most others if not all will start having isues with the shavings once you start to get some hole depth, and you would need to clean the hole a lot to keep going.

#2. The milwaukee Battery is one of thee best if not thee best built battery on the market for extreme weather conditions and taking impacts.

#3. If a guy goes to this drill setup for his main system the 9ah battery is avalible which would allow for a chit load of holes in thick ice.

#4. Vexilar did research and built the K-drill specifically for the milwaukee fuel drill. I'm sure they picked the top drill after reserch. & what they believe could hold up and preform in the fridged weather and conditions.

#5. The side handle is built pretty well, which when you have 1200in/lbs needs to be. Honestly this thing could snap a wrist, I think the clam plate helps a lot for control on it.

Sure other drills work, and other drills have done the job. My milwaukee 725in/lb drill worked fine. When it was turning an 8in auger you could tell it had to work drilling the deeper holes. Now with the 1200in/lb drill on the setup nothing seems to phase it.

Thanks!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:05 AM »
mine is on the way. ordered it over the weekend when i ordered the RIDGID Mobile Miter Saw Stand with Mounting Braces for half price.
Model#  AC9946
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-Mounting-Braces-AC9946/206992161

all i want is usb/5 volt. i have plenty of 12 volt power sources including rigdids 12 volt batteries and 5 sla batteries. the 12 volt batteries are lifetime warranted also, so no worries about over using them. i should hook up one of the 4 amp hours to my lx9 and see how long it lasts. on the hb ice55 a 2 amp went a few hours.
I know everyone has plenty of 12v sla batterys.... Here is the part all of you Rigid guys should be taking advantage of.... when you go from 18v dc to 12v dc you gain amp hours. So your 4ah batterys at 18v are more like 6ah at 12v. I once ran a lowrance Mark 5x for over 20hrs on 1 xc 4.0  4ah pack. It should be the same for your Marcum assuming it will run off of it. And since you get free batterys forever you in theory will never buy another sla battery again....

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Yeah, and for the batteries to have the lifetime warranty they have to be the ones that came with the drill..

They aren't selling the bigger batteries with the kits right now unfortunately..

But, as far as batteries go, Ridgid are pretty affordable.. You can get two of the 4amp for $99...

<°)))>{

So with that deal you can choose the 5ah battery as the free extra.   In that case would the bigger battery be covered under lifetime warranty?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:47 AM »
So with that deal you can choose the 5ah battery as the free extra.   In that case would the bigger battery be covered under lifetime warranty?
batteries sold individually or out side of a kit are limited to a three year warranty. try to buy the best kit or best battery in a kit to get the best battery that's covered for your lifetime.

i noticed ridgid sells a kit with the usb power pack and charger and battery for 70$ that battery would be covered under the lsa or lifetime service agreement. that battery would cut a few holes, but would not be ideal. the 4 amps are plenty. i cut 50  6" holes in 15" of ice on one battery and you get two of them and that was on my old 24 volt 500 inch pound ridgid drill. my new 18 volt 780 inch pound hasn't seen that much ice yet. i know it will cut just as good or better. nothing stopped the 500 inch pound drill and i did cut one hole with a 8 inch mora that appeared to be dull.

batteries only get so many charges before they need to be replaced, the more you use them the faster they need to be replaced no matter who's brand it is.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 30, 2016, 02:53 PM »
What about this one?

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/18v-one-brushless-hammer-drilldriver-kit
I honestly would go with the Rigid instead. You get a little less torque but the lifetime service agreement puts the 2 miles apart. Here's the 3 drills that I personally would only look at.
Milwaukee Fuel 18 with 1,200lbs of torque
Rigid Gen5x Brushless with 700lbs of torque
Dewalt DCD996P2 820 UWO

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2016, 06:58 AM »
I honestly would go with the Rigid instead. You get a little less torque but the lifetime service agreement puts the 2 miles apart. Here's the 3 drills that I personally would only look at.
Dewalt DCD996P2 820 UWO

Thanks!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #40 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:45 AM »
Dewalt DCD996P2 820 UWO

2X I have the 5X drill and driver kit that came with 2 4 amp batteries all registered with rigid for the life time warranty.
I used it last year on my 6" nils I punched 40+ holes one day and the battery was still 3/4 full charge.   
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:00 AM »
Dewalt DCD996P2 820 UWO
i would add to this list and also suggest the Rigid Gen5x Brushed with 780lbs of torque.  i did provide a link already.
some would say they over heat, but they don't and cutting ice for 20 seconds in freezing temps it would near impossible if it could happen. when the brushes wear down, they get replaced for free or if the motor fries or if any thing goes wrong with it, it will be fixed for free forever.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:06 AM »
i would add to this list and also suggest the Rigid Gen5x Brushed with 780lbs of torque.  i did provide a link already.
some say they over heat, but they don't and cutting ice for 20 seconds in freezing temps it would near impossible if it could happen. when the brushes wear down, they get replaced for free or if the motor fries or if any thing goes wrong with it, it will be fixed for free forever.

Some guys have already gotten upgrades under the warranty, so down the road when you wear your drill out and the tec has improved, you can most likely upgrade to the newer model...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:13 AM »
Some guys have already gotten upgrades under the warranty, so down the road when you wear your drill out and the tec has improved, you can most likely upgrade to the newer model...
you are right! my 24 volt equipment is obsolete and they told me when i brought all of it in that they will be giving new equipment when it needs service again. all it ever needed was batteries and they don't hold a shelf charge well being old tech. i could take them in right now and get all new replacement equipment. any time you call a service center, they ask that you bring all of your ridgid tools in for them to go over. they replace parts that are known to wear out, but are not worn yet out like switches and batteries. they sure do it up! hard to not want to share that type of service with others as intently as i do and others.

your son had issues with milwaukee drill last season with the switch only being about one year old and they refused to honor their own warranty and called it normal wear, correct? he had to pay for service and parts and shipping.

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:18 AM »
I think your guys just talked me into a Ridgid.  What augers are you running with them?  I was leaning towards a 7" Lazer with the Clam plate.
FTWGA

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:24 AM »
i have a 4" lazer, mainly for up north scouting ice and a 6" lazer is my main bit and no plate is needed at all. only way i would ever care to have a plate is if you want to run a 8" lazer and then you can add the gear box to the plate..
if you go with a k-drill or nils the 7" should cut fine, the lazer i think is too aggressive, but i don't know that yet with the gen5x drills. it is true with the old 24 volt 500 inch pound drill i replaced last season. i do want to see how the 7" lazer cuts on the gen5x tho.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:29 AM »
your son had issues with milwaukee drill last season with the switch only being about one year old and they refused to honor their own warranty and called it normal wear, correct? he had to pay for service and parts and shipping.

I have to check with him, but I think he went and bought something else... They wanted like $175 to fix it...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:39 AM »
sorry about that, but it's good to let others know when they are asking what brand to choose.
a working sufficient drill cuts holes, bottom line.

after getting burned like that i can appreciate switching out brands too. humminbird did that to me.

thanks for the update. i do bring that story up on occasion. i hope you don't mind.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:20 AM »
Not at all.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:47 AM »
I have to check with him, but I think he went and bought something else... They wanted like $175 to fix it...
[/quoteI would like to know the details on this one....

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:16 AM »
I posted the sheet they sent to him last year. The copy I had went away with the last computer I had. I no longer have it, but I was not making it up. If I remember correctly the trigger was worn out and something else that was small, but when he sent it to the service center they told him it was not covered under the warranty because it was "normal wear and tear" that happened in about a year... He is a electrician, and he does use it every day, but his older Dewalt's lasted longer doing the same job. I am much happier getting a Rigid (that does the job) with the warrant that they stand behind than another tool that cost more money that they may or may not stand behind... As I said before, it is all about what you are comfortable with...

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:13 AM »
I think your guys just talked me into a Ridgid.  What augers are you running with them?  I was leaning towards a 7" Lazer with the Clam plate.
I mostly run my 5" lazer. When targeting walleyes, pike, lake trout then I run my 7" lazer. It does cut with a 7" lazer but tends to struggle some. I plan on switching to an 8" mora since it should be less aggressive than the lazer.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:21 AM »
some would say they over heat, but they don't and cutting ice for 20 seconds in freezing temps it would near impossible if it could happen. when the brushes wear down, they get replaced for free or if the motor fries or if any thing goes wrong with it, it will be fixed for free forever.
The only reason I did not include that drill is because I didn't happen to see a kit for it where it was just the drill plus batteries. Or the drill with one other tool plus 2 batteries. I only seen that drill sold as a bare tool or in a kit with 5 other tools. The 5 tool kit looks to be a great deal but only if you are going to get use out of those other tools.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 02, 2016, 08:22 AM »
The Rigid Gen5x seems like a pretty good deal.   Thanks 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.