Author Topic: Lanterns-Propane or duel fuel?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lanterns-Propane or duel fuel?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:03 AM »
 Why the need for a lantern that gets broke?? Battery power is where it's at. My lanterns been on a shelf for 20 years.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Batteries does me no good. Im trying to get around buying a heater. although i do like the idea of the rechargeable one for $25. thats a deal. BUT i need heat. should i just keep my shanty vent open when i have a lantern running? no matter lp or gas? never really ventd before with my buddies. but we were in and out of the shanty. how dangerous are these fumes. no way to smell em so dont fall asleep! lol

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:00 AM »
The new rechargeable batteries work great and last.  I have to cabela's led lanteren and takes 4 d cells.  I put rechargable batteries in them.  Just so you know I put the batteries in last winter, used them all summer fishing and sill works as brite as the day i put the batteries in, and never recharged them.  It also has a remote off/on switch.  It was cheaper than a gas lantern.  These LED lanterns are constantly getting better so why would ever want a gas lamp.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:19 AM »
The new rechargeable batteries work great and last.  I have to cabela's led lanteren and takes 4 d cells.  I put rechargable batteries in them.  Just so you know I put the batteries in last winter, used them all summer fishing and sill works as brite as the day i put the batteries in, and never recharged them.  It also has a remote off/on switch.  It was cheaper than a gas lantern.  These LED lanterns are constantly getting better so why would ever want a gas lamp.
because alot of us use a gas lantern for heat and light..

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2010, 12:43 PM »
SOUNDS LIKE IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A HEAT SOURCE such as mr.buddy then an L.E.D. lamp is for you which is my set up....in my opinion if you already use a heat source then burning two sources doesnt seem safe...if you want to kill two birds with one stone then go dual fuel i think the coleman fuel burns hotter than propane but i could be wrong

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2010, 01:03 PM »
I have a coleman dual mantal propane and love it. Its model # 5159. I run it on low in my recon dlx 1 man and it is more then enough heat and light. I can put it on high in the nanook and you will be in your tee shirt. I only use it if it is really dark out (for the light and heat) otherwise I use a buddy heater and open the windows if I want light. I have not tried it for night fishing outside yet, maybe this year!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Scuba Steve

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Thats how I roll
« Reply #36 on: Dec 25, 2010, 01:14 PM »
The nice thing about propane is that its impossible to spill and easy to store an extra tank with you anywhere you go, with the white gas if your not careful you can arrive at your location just to find out that the lid wasnt on right and it tipped over in the back of the truck and your SOL. As for the LED they seem like a good idea but batteries cost alot and dont seem to hold up well in the extreme cold.

Offline pipeline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:01 AM »
The nice thing about dual fuel, if you run out of naphtha (white gas), you can run regular unleaded with no problems.
i have dual fuel lantern worked great last year. just got out and no fuel flow thinking ethenol in gas probably plugged up another job to clean  ???

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #38 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:09 AM »
Hmmm, well in large amounts I could see that happening, but it's only a quart of fuel at the very most and in a completely sealed tank.  I suppose you could unscrew the tank and valve assembly, clean it out and see what other gremlins have grown in there.

Offline skidplate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Propane but refill little tanks or get an adapter for a larger tank. The markup on 1# tanks is right out of line. Nothing is cheaper and easier, in the long haul.
I'm Gonna go to bed...I'm gonna change my pants and go to bed.

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:37 AM »
I am with you on the mark up prices of 1lb tanks.  I have a 20# tank for my buddy heater but this summer found a 5# or 10# tank at a yard sale and i bought it!  I am thinking of getting the adapters to refill the 1# for my lanterns but haven't ventured there yet! Any info on refilling the 1# tanks?

Offline crazie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:45 AM »
Refilling the one pound tanks r the why to go it to hard to take a big tank out on the ice takes to much room up.  that's the way i would go especially if u have a heater too

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #42 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:20 AM »
We've run unleaded gas (hightest) in our coleman equip. since the 70's. No problem. But I go with propane as much as possible now. Mostly to keep the sent off my hands.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline Since

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I too have both and use both, propane is nice for easy lighting, dual fuel (I just use lantern fuel, I think it is less explosive than unleaded) if I plan on runing the latern for an extended period, hauling around alot of propane tanks can be a drag

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:23 PM »
well i went with the Dual Fuel. fits my needs the most. ran it in the shanty yesterday for prolly more than 5 hours on a single tank. workd great! i "just hope that i dont regret buying the bigger but more expensive "powerhouse" model.

Offline jgam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:40 PM »
I agree with Naptha-white gas-dual fuel. Yes a gallon of Coleman fuel is $11, but it would take WEEKS of use to use up the entire gallon in my lantern. As an aside, naptha is also excellent for removing pine gum and duct tape residue! Just watch what you use it on...

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:06 AM »
the coleman fueled lanterns are MUCH quieter then propane

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #47 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:08 AM »
ive had the same colman latern for as long as i can rember and it still runs great!!! coleman duel fuel all the way! best bang for your buck

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Dual fuel is the way to go. I can burn my lantern at least 6-8 hrs on one tank of fuel.  I think they put off more heat than the propane lanterns as well

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #49 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Quote from: fishinfiend
I think they put off more heat than the propane lanterns as well

That is correct. White gas has a greater BTU output compared to LP. They are also brighter on high.

One thing I do like about propane lanterns though is the greater control. You can turn them down a lot further than a white/unleaded gas lantern.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #50 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Does the kind of fuel matter?  I run Coleman kerosene in my older Coleman dual mantel lantern and it's not as bright nor as warm as my buddies LP dual mantel lanterns. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #51 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:15 PM »
I have several lanterns and some will seam a little hotter than the other. The large powerhouse ones put out the most heat. I will say the single mantel lanterns are to loud and don't get hot enough to suit me.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:59 PM »
I like to use the propane lantern because well i refill my one pounders from the twenty pounder out in the garage. Also cause i have a buddy heater and always have atleast two full tanks in the hut at all times so if i want to take the lantern i just grab the case and go. do not have to worry about fueling it up. As far as LED lights go some of them are nice because they are rechargable and some of them like the Clam Corp bar led light has a cord with gator clips on it and can run of a standard flasher battery. Although the lantern is nice when its not real cold out but a little heat to warm the fingers is nice cuz you can kill two birds with one stone.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Does the kind of fuel matter?  I run Coleman kerosene in my older Coleman dual mantel lantern and it's not as bright nor as warm as my buddies LP dual mantel lanterns. 
Im not 100% sure but the Duel Fuels that ive seen only take the camp fuel or gasoline. not kerosene.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:56 AM »
the coleman fueled lanterns are MUCH quieter then propane
X2 noticed that yesterday when my buddy turnd his on. i had to talk over the lantern for him to hear me in the shanty. and were trying to be somewhat quiet and catch fish. im glad i bought the duel fuel. but can see how convenient it would be for LP if you had a grill and a heater and everything else that takes those 1# tanks. just grab some tanks and go. set for everything. Refilling those kinda scare me tho. :-\ 

Offline Sparkybr549

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:52 AM »
 I personally like the old Coleman 200a model lanterns. I have about 100 of them. They are much better than the lanterns made after 1982. All of the regulator and burner parts are brass and are able to easily be taken apart and cleaned if needed. I can fix the ones that are even 60 years old. The parts are still available. The are brighter and put out more heat also. The same lanterns would have to be sold for over $200 if the still made them that well. I have repaired hundreds of lanterns and most of the pre 1982 Colemans only need taken apart and cleaned. Newer lanterns have too many rubber seals that go bad. The old ones have a leather pump seal that only needs to be oiled. If a valve leaks you tighten it up a little to seal it usually. If any lantern flames up, it has too much fuel. The vent tube needs the spider webs blown out of the vent tube or you are giving it too much fuel before the generator is hot. Rarely does a generator need replaced, but a new one does help sometimes. The only rubber part on the 200 is the tank seal that cost less than a dollar to replace. The single mantel lanterns are far better and brighter than the double mantel also. The 242 model that was made in the 40s is awesome too. The fuel cap seals, valve packings, check valves, generators and cap burners can all still be bought and replaced easily. The shut off valve can control the heat and light easily also. Propane is much cleaner I agree. But the only way it is cheaper for fuel is if you can refill your tanks. The old Coleman single mantel 200s are just the best pressurized lantern ever built. Millions of them were sold from 1950 to 1983. They were all basically the same. They just got too expensive to sell and be profitable because of the brass parts.
 Does anyone else like the old Red Coleman 200s?

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:32 AM »
wow thanks sparky maybe i shoulda saved my money and bought old one off of ebay!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #57 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I personally like the old Coleman 200a model lanterns. I have about 100 of them. They are much better than the lanterns made after 1982. All of the regulator and burner parts are brass and are able to easily be taken apart and cleaned if needed. I can fix the ones that are even 60 years old. The parts are still available. The are brighter and put out more heat also. The same lanterns would have to be sold for over $200 if the still made them that well. I have repaired hundreds of lanterns and most of the pre 1982 Colemans only need taken apart and cleaned. Newer lanterns have too many rubber seals that go bad. The old ones have a leather pump seal that only needs to be oiled. If a valve leaks you tighten it up a little to seal it usually. If any lantern flames up, it has too much fuel. The vent tube needs the spider webs blown out of the vent tube or you are giving it too much fuel before the generator is hot. Rarely does a generator need replaced, but a new one does help sometimes. The only rubber part on the 200 is the tank seal that cost less than a dollar to replace. The single mantel lanterns are far better and brighter than the double mantel also. The 242 model that was made in the 40s is awesome too. The fuel cap seals, valve packings, check valves, generators and cap burners can all still be bought and replaced easily. The shut off valve can control the heat and light easily also. Propane is much cleaner I agree. But the only way it is cheaper for fuel is if you can refill your tanks. The old Coleman single mantel 200s are just the best pressurized lantern ever built. Millions of them were sold from 1950 to 1983. They were all basically the same. They just got too expensive to sell and be profitable because of the brass parts.
 Does anyone else like the old Red Coleman 200s?
Do you mean the red single mantel lanterns? My friend has one and it is way too noisy.

You are right about the spiders. I have bought several lanterns at garage sales because people think they are broken.

I can tell you the Amish have some awesome lanterns but pricey. Like you say if they made them like they use too the Colemans would cost more.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.