Author Topic: Rod power question - jigging for perch  (Read 5741 times)

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod power question - jigging for perch
« on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:23 PM »
I just started ice fishing this season and am in the market for my first two perch rods. I would like one for light jigging with 4 mm fiskas jigs (Ultralight, 24") and one for jigging heavier jigs like a small hali sukkula.

My question is: what power rod should I get for the hali jigging rod? I would prefer to not use a spring bobber unless that is overwhelmingly the better option. Thanks in advance!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rod power question - jigging for perch
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:01 PM »
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:30 AM »
Just a few threads down:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=294672.0

This thread just talks about certain custom rods. It is not clear what rod power options they are referring to. For example, what power is a Thorne Bros Perch Sweetheart? How does it compare to typical rod powers?

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:57 AM »
look up T7 custom rods. chris will ask you what lures you like to fish and match the rods to the lures used. the spoons i make are light as a feather. not much more than the fiskas you use really! and the rod he made me works great! and the rod also has good backbone for easy hooksets and with the backbone i also use heavier jigs on the same rod very well.

boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2015, 09:00 AM »
the tip is very light. i told him i didnt want a rod that i needed to put a springbobber on but i wanted to see the hit. also with the cork handle i feel every hit. from the 4 inch dink perch to the crappies when they are hitting it up. here is a link to his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/christopher.confer
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2015, 08:52 PM »
I use the TUC Bullwhip for perch as it is a power noodle with a quicker tip. Also a quiver tip for small spoons up to 1/8 ounce.  The TUC precision noodle is my best crappie rod but it is great for a still rod on perch with 3mm tungstens.  Best I've found out of many rods and thousands of perch.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2015, 09:01 PM »
jason mitchell meatstick very sensative tip and plenty of backbone, I catch perch all the time no spring bobber neccessary and still enough  backbone to handle a laker or big bass.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I had never been a spring bobber guy...always like tight lining and didn't feel the need of a spring bobber.  However, after using a trip wire I am converted.  When chasing perch in SD there was times they would bite ever so slightly!!  Fishing in 30fow made it very challenging.  The trip wire is a deadly weapon against that kinda bite.  I have experienced nice sized Walleye biting similarly and even lighter...crazy to experience.  My go to rod is a TB perch sweetheart or similar rod I have built armed with a trip wire.  I have both the medium light and medium tripwire.  Still love that tick of tightlining with a sensitive blank but some days the fish are playing hard ball so gotta go to stealth mode!
]

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2015, 09:37 PM »
I mainly use Hali's  during ice season for perch.  I like an ultra light rod, with a very sensitive tip, like an Ice Blue rod, or JM meat stick.  The weight of the Hali loads the tip of the rod just enough, that any lite bite is very visible, without any need for any type of bobber...

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2015, 01:50 PM »
I'm dropping a Hali first while hunting perch; and the TB Perch Sweetheart has performed for many years. Highly recommended
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2015, 02:17 AM »
People generally get confused with rod power and based that on the fish.  Rod power is firstly for lure weights.  If lure weights gets too heavy, then step up in rod power.

A Thorne Bros perch sweetheart is close to a ML in power.  The panfish sweetheart is close to L power.
The walleye sweetheart is about medium power.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2015, 09:46 AM »
People generally get confused with rod power and based that on the fish.  Rod power is firstly for lure weights.  If lure weights gets too heavy, then step up in rod power.

A Thorne Bros perch sweetheart is close to a ML in power.  The panfish sweetheart is close to L power.
The walleye sweetheart is about medium power.

Thanks, slipperybob. This was the information I was looking for. I ended up picking up an UL rod for small jigs and a ML for spoons and jigging raps.

Offline madman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:59 AM »
I use a TUC precision and love it for perch. 5 rippin raps all the way down to 1/16 slender spoons and it performs very well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.