Author Topic: DH custom rods  (Read 4257 times)

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
DH custom rods
« on: Nov 19, 2016, 11:43 PM »
Hey guys don't know if it my work computer or if something is up with the search function (one time results come up other times they don't) but what do you guys think about the DH Custom rods? Looking at the aldente noodle and the pannie dropper.

Most of my fishing is shallow (less than 10 feet) for gills, sunfish, perch. I'm needing to replace several older Jason Mitchell rods that I have repaired too many times and no longer fish as good as they used to.

Thanks
J-

Offline icenovice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: DH custom rods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2016, 12:53 AM »
I have an al dente and I like it.  4 yrs old and still in great shape.  The action is slightly stiffer than the Thorne brosPower noodle. In my opinion, a hard case is a must with these custom rods.  Very well built rods, make sure you store them straight, not bent.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another al dente.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2016, 01:12 AM »
Cool thanks

J-

Offline banders731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2016, 01:34 AM »
all my rods are from D&H. I obviously love them.  The al dente is a great noodle rod, i typically use it for crappies and gills but ive caught pike, bass and walleyes on it as well.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2016, 02:20 AM »
thanks exactly what I was looking for.

J-

Offline banders731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2016, 12:27 PM »

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2016, 06:01 PM »
I have the Al Dente as well as a TUCR Precision Noodle. For me, the Al Dente is a little lighter and more sensitive than the TUCR so I use 2lb mono and smaller/lighter jigs on the Al Dente, the TUCR is set up with 3lb and I will fish up to 4mm tungstons on it. Wouldn't hesitate to get another AL Dente or TUCR Precision Noodle

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2016, 09:24 PM »
My rods came in the day before christmas and they are very nice. Look forward to fishing with them soon.
J-

Offline nbfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:50 PM »
The noodle rod is more sensitive than the TUCR one, depending on the size of bait you use it can be a real advantage.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2016, 06:35 PM »
DH, TUCR, Thorne Bros. The sensitivity of the 3 noodles offered between those brands are more than likely negligible. I don't own a Thorne or a DH but have watched extensive footage on each (remember we are talking about visual sensitivity here). I do however own a TUCR Precision Noodle and a Bullwhip. The Bullwhip is sensitive enough to detect 3" perch in 30 fow using a 3mm Fiskas tungsten jig. Not sure how much more sensitive a person needs a rod to be.

IMO, when looking at custom rods, look at the person building them and their build quality along with their warranty/guarantee. The 3 I (and many others) mentioned are probably the bigger 3 in the industry when it comes to ice rods specifically and honestly I don't believe you can go wrong with either. Find the company you like and get the noodle they offer. I bought TUCR because I watch a lot of In-Depth Outdoors and they sponsor the show (use to be Thorne) and I liked seeing what those rods could handle. Easy choice for me but like I said, I don't think you could go wrong with either 3 of those brands.

Also, remember we are dealing with "custom" rod builders. They should be able to offer you exactly what you're looking for in a rod if they are truly custom builders.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Finally got out and used my new DH customs. Love em. They will likely replace my old standby Jason Mitchell Meat Sticks (pre-Clam).

J-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.