The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 1st time icer, heading to Clark Canyon  (Read 4941 times)

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 1st time icer, heading to Clark Canyon
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2020, 05:00 PM »
You can use the buddy heaters to warm up food.

I can't afford one of those. That's why I was looking for a cheaper option.

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Horse Prairie campground is a good place to start, you can catch anything from rainbows to browns to ling.  Go to where there are lots of huts, obviously that means it's good fishing, but keep in mind that if you fish too close to someones hut, they won't be friendly so keep a respectable distance from them and you'll be fine. Fishing is normally best in the morning! Good luck!

Whats considered too close? People on the ice seem to fish a lot closer to one another than boat fisherman do. I'd assume its due to safety and being less mobile.
I normally think of being too close in a boat is when our sonars start picking each other up.

Was going to hit it tomorrow. Maybe I'll take your advise and hit that area. Thanks

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Depends on the people, maybe start a conversation with them and ask if they're ok with you being this close. Last winter I invited a guy and his kids to fish with us and when he asked where he could drill I told him anywhere. Anyone else that close I'd have not been so courteouse with.

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2020, 06:05 PM »
I would just gauge it based off of others around and post up within those peoples distances.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2020, 06:08 PM »
I would just gauge it based off of others around and post up within those peoples distances.
Great idea, but asking someone is ok to drill here goes a long way.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Great idea, but asking someone is ok to drill here goes a long way.

Absolutely.....Heck, just striking up a conversation goes a long way.....Most people really enjoy meeting others & shooting the s**t for a bit !!

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2020, 06:27 PM »
Oh for sure. I always try to chat it up when I am in the outdoors.

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Horse Prairie campground is a good place to start, you can catch anything from rainbows to browns to ling.  Go to where there are lots of huts, obviously that means it's good fishing, but keep in mind that if you fish too close to someones hut, they won't be friendly so keep a respectable distance from them and you'll be fine. Fishing is normally best in the morning! Good luck!

Ooohhh, horse prairie. I've been thinking all day you were talking about Lonetree. 
Horse Prairie: The couple times I've drove thru the reservoir I never saw anyone there.  I was wondering why. It does look steep down to the ice is what I was thnking. But it looks like there is a ramp there so I don't know.  Everyone was at W-Camahwait.

I'll check out horse prairie tomorrow. Thanks 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.