Author Topic: LAKE ERIE  (Read 7795 times)

Offline neffguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
LAKE ERIE
« on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:07 PM »
what is the big water looking  like, hoping this weather will continue would like to get out with captain mike this winter anybody got contact info and pricing??????? ???
I don't always catch the most, but I usallycatch the BIGGEST one!
                              FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE ERIE
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:09 PM »
At this point i doubt she'll freeze maybe your end may.
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline neffguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:14 PM »
i never count it out until Valentine's day !! if i cant get out by then , then i count it out and just wait for spring jiggin @)
I don't always catch the most, but I usallycatch the BIGGEST one!
                              FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishindude644

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:24 PM »
It can happen.  Not counting on it though.
*REMOVED*

Offline NorthSouthOhioFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:31 PM »
If the warm up predicted doesn't happen or at least if it doesn't rain and blow like all hell we should be able to get er done. It isn't supposed to blow so maybe some ice will stick around, there is a lot out there right now!
Youtube-"Fishing and Fun"

I have a beautiful permanent shanty for sale message me for more info!

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:51 AM »
3 days of warm, forecast for next week, along with rain. Not a good combo, plus high winds forecast for wed. If we someway avoid the rain, and wind we might get there. Another arctic blast in the forecast for late next week!

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:04 AM »
got a friend on sbi,he saw shantys off the state park  5" of ice with 3"of slush under it..they were out about 200 yards..

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Yes can confirm that. A good buddy of mine and life long island resident is out today off state park. Ice is not that great but doable he said. No report yet as he just text me this morning when he made it safe.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:59 PM »
im headed up fri nite to fish sat-sun and mon till noon..Ill post results mon...Hope the water isnt to milky...

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:47 AM »
Are Lake Erie fish safe to eat? When I was a kid I read about how polluted the lake was. Years later I heard how the conditions had greatly improved. Just recently I talked with a buddy who grew up in Erie. He doesn't fish, but he says knowing the history of what was dumped into the lake, he would never eat the fish from there.

Offline NWohioiceman123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:12 AM »
I've been eating fish from that lake for many years and have never had a problem. They wouldn't run hundreds of charters every day if the fish weren't safe to eat.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:46 AM »
walleye and perch are fine.eat a meal every week or two of these and never died yet!! ;)
I don't think I would eat catfish though.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Wanted to post picture from toledo light #2 webcam, but dont know how. Wish whole lake looked that good. Satellite image did show more ice in western basin yesterday than i thought it might.

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:00 PM »
I do not have Capt Mike from PIB numbers ? But I may be able to find and show it ? They are out of south bass west side this weekend.Locals only right now. With warm up coming things maybe be on hold again for a week or two ?

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:26 PM »
what is the big water looking  like, hoping this weather will continue would like to get out with captain mike this winter anybody got contact info and pricing??????? ???

here ya go www.mikessportfishing. com

Offline Jiginitis69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Was out off Catawba 2 miles on Jan 27th.  Fish were finicky.  Vexilars marked a lot of fish but wouldn't bite.  No machines.  Heard 3 or 4 airboats running around over deeper waters.  Shove ice is a problem for machines.   Warm up could be blessing in disguise to knock down ice shove walls.  Water was cleaner in shallower waters.  Ice depth was 6-7" over 24 & 26 fow.  A few smooth, fast freeze areas had 4"'s.  7 of us went out and we caught 3 walleye, lost 3, and missed prob 7 bites.  Just a little rusty, but it was great getting out.
Good Luck and Good Fishing

Offline eye spy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:32 PM »
I was also out of Catawba on Sunday with 4 other guys. We ended up with 7 fish and lost 3 others. All small fish (16-18").

Offline Jiginitis69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:54 PM »
Eye Spy.  What water depth did you guys fish?
Good Luck and Good Fishing

Offline Snoman2005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:55 AM »
Was out off Catawba 2 miles on Jan 27th.  Fish were finicky.  Vexilars marked a lot of fish but wouldn't bite.  No machines.  Heard 3 or 4 airboats running around over deeper waters.  Shove ice is a problem for machines.   Warm up could be blessing in disguise to knock down ice shove walls.  Water was cleaner in shallower waters.  Ice depth was 6-7" over 24 & 26 fow.  A few smooth, fast freeze areas had 4"'s.  7 of us went out and we caught 3 walleye, lost 3, and missed prob 7 bites.  Just a little rusty, but it was great getting out.

As a new ohio resident,  do all fisherman use the airboat charters to get out to the islands?  I want to get a trip out there...but the big water has me hesitant.  Any info is appreciated.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:13 AM »
I fished sbi sat, sun and mon till about 11..I caught 5 sat 2 sun and nuttin on mon..Ice was 5-8 everywhere..There was 2" of water on the ice  mon when i quit...The water was really stained everywhere i went...My fish went from 2-5 lbs...Marked plenty but very finicky...I used #5 jiggin raps in chart and blue&chrome...28 to 30 fow...I think the ice will hold till wed nite and be solid again by fri...Hopefully the rain and wind dont screw up the viz...heading back up sun cant wait...p.s  stayed with rob and maria at the black squirrel the best b&b on the island..good fishin   greg

Offline eye spy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:26 PM »
22-23 fow. If you walked out of the state park in the morning, I was probably standing at herbs with you waiting for them to open up. Our group was walking out right behind your group. We just stayed in the shallow water the whole time. I assume you was with the group that packed up around 11:00 and headed towards green and then came back shortly after.

Offline Another Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:33 AM »
Hey eye! I also was with jig and yes waiting at herbs in the am. I was in the all black. Any word if any of the ice held up? It was nice to get out at least once this year. Going north in a week

Offline shantyrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:10 PM »
gdccsc :

did the ice hold up and are you going out this weekend
Please post conditions planned on heading that way but
with the rain and blow don't  want to take a 2 hr drive for nothng

thanks

Offline eye spy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:37 PM »
I seriously doubt the ice made it through.

Offline shantyrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:53 PM »
yea i would be suprised more wishfull thinking
was hoping that it would hold together and this cold blast would give us a chance to get out maybe next weekend

Offline knute

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:24 PM »
  The lake was wide open  yesterday !  Some ice in the cove between Port Clinton & Catawba today until the wind switched. Wide open again !   

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Finally....a couple cold nights with little wind! Took a ride to metzgers and crane yesterday afternoon was ice as far as i could see with naked eye. Down to single digits or low teens most of this week. Im still holding out hope......,the fishing only gets better from now on.....if we can get out!....any other info????

Offline shantyrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:06 AM »
anyone been out to SBI what does that look like

Offline ditchdigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Finally....a couple cold nights with little wind! Took a ride to metzgers and crane yesterday afternoon was ice as far as i could see with naked eye. Down to single digits or low teens most of this week. Im still holding out hope......,the fishing only gets better from now on.....if we can get out!....any other info????
Thanks for the report Hop! Was there snow?

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2013, 02:37 PM »
Took a ride through metzgers crane out to catawba.......ice as far as i could see.....went around by mouse/miller ferry dock....looked like it might have been open a bit in south pass but not sure. No activity anywhere. I think we are going to get teased again.....cold a few days till its close........then warming again.....not sure its going to happen this year boys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.