Author Topic: LAKE ERIE  (Read 7805 times)

Offline Jiginitis69

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE ERIE
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:34 PM »
THanks Hoppy.  Was thinking about doing the same cruise.  Ya saved me gas.  I hope also that the ice reforms and we get a even a small window.  While I am dreaming I can dream we get off crane creek too.  LOL
Good Luck and Good Fishing

Offline jakeesspoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Save your money and skip captain mike unless your very easily impressed.  We went out with him two years ago.  About 7 of us.   He had one Atv to get al of us out.   He knocked my one buddy of front of four wheeler and pretty much ran him over.   In the shanty the wind kept blowing the walls in, no ice anchors to keep walls from collapsing.  One little buddy heater is all for the large blowing in cold shanty.  For lunch we each got one bratwurst on a frozen bun, not even freaking mustard, and a bottle of water.  It was a joke. We always go out on our own. We thought it would be fun to just once go out and not have all the responsibility of equipment,hauling stuff,etc. just show up and fish.   If anyone's been impressed with him just follow us out next time and fish with us.  We catch fish,grill out,stay warm,ride out comfortably,and have an good time.    I'm sure "mike" will try to get this post removed as he seems to use this forum as his main advertisement.  I'm just being honest here.  Maybe others have been satisfied with his "services"

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:22 AM »
Save your money and skip captain mike unless your very easily impressed.  We went out with him two years ago.  About 7 of us.   He had one Atv to get al of us out.   He knocked my one buddy of front of four wheeler and pretty much ran him over.   In the shanty the wind kept blowing the walls in, no ice anchors to keep walls from collapsing.  One little buddy heater is all for the large blowing in cold shanty.  For lunch we each got one bratwurst on a frozen bun, not even freaking mustard, and a bottle of water.  It was a joke. We always go out on our own. We thought it would be fun to just once go out and not have all the responsibility of equipment,hauling stuff,etc. just show up and fish.   If anyone's been impressed with him just follow us out next time and fish with us.  We catch fish,grill out,stay warm,ride out comfortably,and have an good time.    I'm sure "mike" will try to get this post removed as he seems to use this forum as his main advertisement.  I'm just being honest here.  Maybe others
 have been satisfied with his "services"
Having fished with mike many times over the years I have absolutely nothing bad to say about him. I have never seen him use one atv to move any of us. I belive that is the year he brought up his trailer to handle everyone. Two years ago I fished 3 different occasions with him and those that remember know we went from great ice to nothing in a week. From eyes to perch but we always got our fish. To bash him like that because of one bad experience with a capt is wrong. I will put him up against most out there. Always worked his but off for us.

Offline jakeesspoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:59 PM »
I'm glad you had a good experience with captain mike.  Whatever anyone does for leisure or fun I hope it always works out for them as that's what it's all about.   I work hard for my money.  I work too hard for my money to give it to a "professional" that is far from professional.   I own a business. I can tell when a customer is not happy or has concerns and I address them.   If I cannot fully provide my services I let a customer know and I never charge them a dime.  There are more than plenty of times when any other company would bill a customer and I don't.   My point is that he should have known he had a weak game and either apologized or adjusted his fees accordingly   I'm not trying to bash anyone I only want people to know our experience and realize they can have a a just as good time on their own and would probably be better prepared.   

Offline tmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:36 AM »
Hey jakeesspoo  , sorry you guys didn't enjoy your trip, wish you would have been a man about it thou and let me make it right that day if you were not happy! I do remember you guys and fishing sucked that day. Again sorry for your disappoint and best of luck to you in the future.

Offline sam419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:49 PM »
so uhhh, back to the ice... How are we looking out there? any marinas have ice? or did that snow we got  on monday kill any chances at the big lake?

Offline CHARK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Tell you what mister high and mighty.  You bash a guy because you think your are better than everyone you come in contact with and then make a weak attempt to smooth things out to try and make yourself look good.  Watchout when you fall off your high horse, you might need a professional to help you back up.  Why don't you do everyone a favor and avoid Lake Erie, we don't need anymore pollution.

Offline CleoSpooner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I walk on water !
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2013, 12:22 AM »
 :o OMG Mike is constantly making improvement to his Biz. like he bought an 8 wheel argo and a argo trailer so no one would dround !
And as far as KNOWING you were unhappy, did you speak up then ? Get real. Some days just go better then others.
 I use to run trips with Mike, and you have no idea what we went thru trying to just find fish for you before you even got there. So the he's working long before you arrive. We risked Our lives many days looking around. And add in the cost of equipment and up keep,,,, Dont tell me Me didnt earn your money !
  And what really gets me is it's guys like you that will come fish by us after we've done all then work! Then brag about how you always catch fish.
  At least Mike's nice enough to still get on here and post a LITTLE info for people.
And we've had as many as 6 4wheelers. He even ran out and bought sleds one year to keep us fishing.

Offline jakeesspoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Can I change my screen name o High&Mighty?     Yes there is ice in the marinas around.   The shader rolling through  lot of the marinas though and the ice is till sketchy in many of them even.   We fished a large local pond/reservoir today and it only fad about 2". Ended up itch about 30 crappie between four of us so we didn't kill them but had a good time.  I don't think your gonna get on the lake this year with the future forecasts.   I personally only know one person who walked off of mazuriks 2 weekends ago but did pretty good.  Would have liked to have gone but didn't want to pollute the lake

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:59 PM »
20-30 mph sw winds tomorrow with gusts up to 50........ time to get hair jigs rounded up!

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:10 PM »
20-30 mph sw winds tomorrow with gusts up to 50........ time to get hair jigs rounded up!
another early reef trip!!

Offline tmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Fished rattlesnake yesterday, caught 5, . Do not take this post to mean the ice conditions are safe! No one else out that way. Several of the locals fishing just off the west shore. No four wheelers.

Offline sam419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2013, 08:11 AM »
Fished rattlesnake yesterday, caught 5, . Do not take this post to mean the ice conditions are safe! No one else out that way. Several of the locals fishing just off the west shore. No four wheelers.

Did you walk/spud out from main land? Any new updates on Erie?

I was out fishing in michigan yesterday and got my first walleye threw the ice, actually 2 in a row!! I was fishing 30fow catching decent gills when a big mark came flying off the bottom, ended up being a 15 1/4" eye, put my jig right back down the hole and then bam, 14 1/2" toothy walter came to say hi.

Now all I can think about is catching some 20-25"ers threw the ice before I start pulling them out of the river.

Thanks in advanced for any info

Offline NorthSouthOhioFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Outdoorsman
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2013, 08:49 AM »
What lake were you on in michigan? I am probably going up this weekend not sure where I might go. Erie is a bust although there is a little ice around again
Youtube-"Fishing and Fun"

I have a beautiful permanent shanty for sale message me for more info!

Offline sam419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:01 AM »
A lake that was part of the MDNR walleye stocking program ::)  Sorry, but the vast interwebz has way too many people creeping and crawling in its depths to be posting lake names...  Only people I MIGHT tell would be anyone who owns a cottage on that lake and anyone who doesn't fish...

I will give you some conditions reports though. I was fishing in 24-30 fow using a hexi fly with a green/white glow micro plastic minnow body tipped with a spike. Was catching some nice 8"-9'+ gills, lots of 10"-12" largemouth, and a few Crappie all in the same school and I actually got 2 Walts in a row, 15 1/4" and a 14 1/2" right about noon. I was not targeting them and never really have before threw the ice. Most Ice in Lenewee, Branch, Hillsdale is decent, but use a spud. looked to be 6-8" of good ice in most places I have found.

Go exploring and good luck!

Offline renegade54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:07 AM »
ate fish off the public dock they were ok, that was 10 years ago

Offline renegade54

• IceShanty Rookie
thin ice
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2013, 07:46 AM »
this site gives great local forcast, it is also good to know when a frost is coming if you plant a garden, colder temps around memorial day, the local stations did not say to much about it maybe isn't good enough. but thin ice had a detailed report from u.s. weather, and they called for frost, this gives me time to cover up my plants, they are to expensive to buy again

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.