Author Topic: Line Twists  (Read 713 times)

Offline borderjumper

• IceShanty Rookie
Line Twists
« on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:12 PM »
What causes my line on my open water reels to get twisted and crappy at the buttom 10 feet of line?

It is bad line or my reel?

I replace line every year.

Thanks guys!
"The Fisherman's Prayer" God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day And when it comes to my last catch I then most humbly pray When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep That in his mercy I be judged as good enough to keep" - Homer Circle

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: Line Twists
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:36 PM »
What kind off reels?
What kind of line?
You mean the first ten feet of line, not the line at the end of your spool?

I will be the first to ask these important questions ;D
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:47 PM »
There are a couple things you can do to fix this:

1) When you are at troll speed let out ALL of the line on your reel, let it drag for a bit (nothing should be tied to the end of the line) this allows the twist you put in the line while cranking it onto your reel to un-twist

2) When trolling always use a good barrel swivel to attach your leader to, this will allow your lure to roll or spin or whatever the action is, this will prevent line twist as well.

Recently I had a severe line twist problem and added a snap swivel to my set up and that solved the problem.

My set up is this: 60# braid backer line to a barrel swivel, tied to the barrel swivel is 20# mono leader that is 6' long, tied to the end of the leader is a snap swivel to hook the lure to.

You can also buy those fancy line spoolers so mitigate the line twist induced by spooling new line onto the reel.

http://www.poorfish.com/p-16672-berkley-portable-line-spooling-station.aspx?shoppingcode=Ad1256Product&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPqHl8KLx7ECFQFx4AodpnIAcg

Hope this helps!

Offline borderjumper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2012, 05:43 PM »
I Use trilene mono 6 lbs and a pfluger presidents reel.
"The Fisherman's Prayer" God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day And when it comes to my last catch I then most humbly pray When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep That in his mercy I be judged as good enough to keep" - Homer Circle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2012, 05:07 AM »
The 6lb line will do funny things if you are catching fish or putting a strain on the line close to its rating. Kind of stretches it out and then it won't go back to shape and will curl. I would never troll with 6lb for this reason. Even the strain of a crank bait will do funny things to the line. I know you want a thin line thinking it will go deeper, but upgrade to a 10 or 12 lb test, then just let out more line to get your depth back on those diving crankbaits. The president reels come in both the baitcaster and spinning but would still say get rid of the 6lb and you will like it.

To do yourself a test. Take some of your 6lb, about 30foot, and tie it to a post. Then wrap a stick with some line on the other end and try stretching the line without breaking it. Just pull and let it go slack and see if it will curl. No barrel swivel will fix whats happening if your line is stretched.

Offline borderjumper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2012, 08:23 AM »
MIFisher i think you are right and it makes sense. I was on Rainy lake in Northern MN. I had reeled in a few 7 lbs walleyes and that's when i noticed the line twist. I bet i stretched my line out. I am going back up there this fall and did not want to have to deal with it again. I will pick up some 10 lbs test.

Thanks for the help!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2012, 08:31 AM »
anytime ;D

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2012, 03:50 PM »
If your drag is too loose you will put twist in the line when reeling in a fish if it is takeing line at the same time. Like slipping a clutch. Keep the drag tighter.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline borderjumper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2012, 04:06 PM »
Hi Bee,

I don't think it was that. I am pretty sure it was the line being over stretched. I am pretty good adjusting my drag while fishing and was aware of this issue before the line twist happened.

Thanks for the help

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.